Smokers?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Anarch, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

Right now I smoke around a pack a day. I know it's killing me and I plan on quitting and training's the main motivation.

Anyone have any advice on how to quit and if you used to smoke, how long afterwards did you notice your health getting back to you?

2. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

When I quit, I cut down week by week, so I went from about ten a day, down to 7, then 6, then 5, then 4, 3, 2, 0. Occasionally, I would let myself have more than my allotted ammount, just to keep my spirits up on the whole quitting thing. When i got to 4 a day, it became pretty tough, so you have to stay focussed on why you really want to quit.

3. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I was on 20-30 a day, I tried gum, patches and so on, I could go cold turkey for about 4 or 5 days but it was a very unpleasant experience, just one night out or unconciously accepting a cigarette made me get back into it. What really helped me was electronic cigarettes which is basically vapurised nicotine. No tar, no carbon monoxide, you can get different flavours, I was using them for about 3 months, and never had the need for cigarettes, when I did try one just to see if I quit the cigarette smoke felt really alien.

A few months on, I do now smoke but very little. 1-2 a day most days (usually after my evening meal). I go days where I don't smoke. But when I was using the vapour you can feel some effects of not smoking after a couple of days. After a week or so you will feel great.

4. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

I was considering the electronic cigarette. Can it give you the slight buzz that cigarettes do?

5. CrowZer0

No, no buzz, but every time you would usually smoke or need a smoke, use the e-cig and you will be very satisfied.

6. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

I'm definitely gonna look into it. Seems like when you start using it and quit relying on cigarettes, you'd probably get sick of the e-cig and end up quitting period.

7. CrowZer0

Healthwise the e-cigs are a much better option, and trust me they are the best replacement out there for cigarettes, the problem might become you can't get off the e-cigs. Some of them are excellent.

8. kurupt2020

kurupt2020 Valued Member

I just went cold turkey , i had been smoking for about 16 years
    it took about 20 attempts but eventually i succeded its been about 12 months since i have had one , i noticed my fitness improve about 2 weeks later
    by the way i smoked about 1 pack in 2 days at my peak i was on a pack a day
    good luck and dont give up you will get there

9. Train your mind and spirit while quitting:

Buy a pack of your favorite cigs.
    Open it & smoke one
    Leave the pack open with a couple of smokes invitingly hanging half way out.
    Put the pack, a lighter and an ashtray next to the place you spend the most time.
    See if you will be tempted...
    Resist temptation ;)

:evil::Angel:

You can do it, no excuses!

Osu!

10. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

The torture :bang:

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The pleasure of breathing comfortable is more than the pleasure of smoking. The day you realize that, the day you can quite without any problem.

12. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

For me living with a non smoker helped me to stop. I got sick of having to smoke outside in winter so eventually I managed to kick the habit, lol. I didn't use patches or anything, just stayed away from smokers the best I could and did other things to take my mind off it.

I love my wife for that. Best thing she ever did for me without even realizing it. Nowadays I can't even stand the smell. I hate it. Haven't touched a cigarette now for almost a year.

13. Ros Montgomery

Ros Montgomery Valued Member

That sounds like the advice of someone who has never smoked!

After smoking for 20 years, I finally quit about five years ago. Cold turkey worked for me but it was truly the hardest thing I've ever done. My advice would be to change your routine so that you don't smoke the 'habit' cigarettes and find something for your hands to do.

Although I generally don't think about smoking much, the smell of ciggies is still lovely and I could happily smoke a tab right now!

14. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

After smoking for 40 years, I haven't smoked since 9/1/2008. It's almost 3 years and 6 months by now. When I stood on the sand beach and inhaled flesh air from ocean, I then realized that life is so wonderful with a health lung. The joy of breathing comfortable is more than the joy of smoking.

When I was in Las Vegas, I saw a human body display. The display had a smoker's lung. It looked so horrible that scare me to the point that took all the pleasure of smoking away. I hope the following pictures can help at least 1 person to quit smoking.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

When I think about smoking, I put on my jagging shoes and run 5 miles on the sand beach. Since I need to use my lung, it takes my mind away from smoking.

I had read from some article that after you quit for

- 2 years, your heart problem will be reduced by 50%.
    - 5 years, your lung problem will be reduced by 50%.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  16. daggers

daggers Valued Member

pretty much every smoker PLANS on quitting, im afraid that day will have to come, so do it sooner rather than later, or later may never happen
    the first week is the hardest, you will feel dizzy and excitable, and quick tempered.
    after 12 weeks you will feel able to cope
    then periodicaly you will get bouts of desperatly wanting a smoke, even 10 month after stopping.. then it will pass. iv been stopped a year tomorrow after i had bronchitis, i started getting it regular.
    stop NOW! and stay stopped. the urges to smoke WILL pass!

17. daggers

daggers Valued Member

and dont go for electronic cigs.. its not stopping, its replacing and sooner or later you will smoke again. just get clear of it all its the only way! its hard, can you take a challenge and win? your a martial artist! what do you think ;)

18. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

For me, this is the key point.

If you are anything like I was, then the 'habit' cigarettes are the vast majority. The ones you actually enjoy are probably only two or three a day.

Change your routine for the first few weeks of giving up. For example, if you always spark up when you have a cuppa, cut right back on the cuppas. It's only for a few weeks, then you can go back to drinking as much tea as you want - and with the added bonus of being able to taste it!

If you always associate a fag with a pint, then give the pub a miss for a couple of weeks. Your mates should understand - and if they don't, get a new set!

After mealtimes are tough for most people trying to give up. So instead of sitting around pining for a cig, get up straigt away and get busy. Wash up, or go for a walk or whatever, but make sure that you do something.

Do as much physical excercise as possible. You won't want a fag while you are training or running or swimming (or at least, I would hope not!) and it keeps you focussed on the benefits you will get from not smoking.

If you do fall off the wagon. just get back on. Tell yourself that you haven't failed, you just haven't succeeded yet - but you will.

The best of luck to you.

19. liero

liero Valued Member

Thats the worst idea I have ever been privy to see regarding kicking an addiction.

Change Behaviour- Go to less places you smoke, try to avoid situations where you would normally smoke

Change Thoughts- Create new stress reduction tactics, develop targeted thought spoken and written mantras/cognitive phrases which you can use when you feel close to the brink

Change Addiction Mechanism- NRT- NICOTINE REPLACEMENT THERAPY, patches, inhaler, whatever = essential.
    Experiment and see what works best for you.

RELAPSE!

You will smoke again, embrace the relapse! dont let it force you back into the addictive cycle, try and work out what went wrong and work on how you will fix it next time. For example, go to pub and smoke that night.

Instead of giving up and smoking again, work out how you can beat the temptation next time. E.g. stay inside (In a non smoking pub), make sure your with non-smokers instead of smokers.

Finally-

Start IMMEDIATELY

Take action straight away to stop smoking.

Begin by reducing the incidence of smoking. If you feel like smoking. Go and do something to distract yourself for as long as possible, housework, internet, talk to someone. Just something to get you used to delaying your craving. You might become so engrossed in the activity that you forget about smoking at all. This is an initial victory.

Good Luck !

20. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

Love the ideas. I think most importantly, if able to, I need to train (shadow box, lift, bag work) when the desire comes up. Even just a couple minutes of bag work gets me winded now and I think having been winded so much just from smoking is a pretty big motivation.