Smitty gets fitty

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Smitfire, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Log update again!

Training week looks like this...

Monday - Weights session 1. Nothing crazy. Squats, OHP, Bench, Rows, Deadlift, chins, ab wheel. Basically an all over maintenance routine in the 3x10/12 rep range. If I try to go too heavy or lower reps/higher weight my joints really suffer.
    Tuesday - TKD. I'm teaching the sessions at the moment so not really a workout session for me. Interesting though.
    Wednesday - Usually a 50 minute slow steady run. Conversational pace with a focus on time on feet rather than distance. Sometimes I swap it for a sprint session instead.
    Thursday - Weights session 2. Repeat of Monday's session. I've tried split sessions but decided just to put everything in each session to save on thinking.
    Friday - Taekwondo. I train in this session.
    Saturday - 5k Parkrun. I try not to miss this as it's one of the main land marks in my week and I love it. If I can't Parkrun I do a 5k sometime over the weekend.
    Sunday - Usually a complete rest day but sometimes I do my own solo training. Patterns, bagwork, solo floor movement. Often try to go swimming with the kids, a bike ride, badminton, etc.

Big thing for me is I've sorted a habit stack/daily routine/weekly routine/monthly routine. I often feel out of control of things/life, or feel like I'm missing stuff I should be doing. I get to the end of the week and realise I've not stretched, or groomed the dogs or whatever. If I just leave it to memory I forget stuff.
    So I've implemented the idea of habit stacks. Adding something I want to do (like taking fish oil) to something I already do (like taking BP meds). I've also been getting into "Just one thing" lifestyle changes and trying to add little habits and activities to my day (standing on one leg, oily fish, apple a day, etc).
    I'm also trying to be much more disciplined. If I let stuff I go I end up doing nothing. I'm not perfect but I now have stuff I want (or need) to do documented in various lists so I can always fall back into robotic routine if motivation is lacking.
    Example habits I've added in are regular wake up time every day (6:30), morning activity (Yoga, a TKD Pattern or karate kata, Jo exercises), cold shower, more fruit and veg, etc etc.

More than likely I'll fall of the "discipline wagon" at some point and go back to being lazy but It feels good to have a routine that feels manageable.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Well it lasted a couple of days. Got woken up at 4am by a dog being sick. Couldn't get back to sleep. Finally fell asleep and then the 6:30 alarm seemed way too early, turned it off intending to get up but then over slept so now I'm behind on the day and playing catch up. Out of my routine.
    BUT...at least I know what my routine is meant to be so tomorrow I can get back on it or fit in the stuff I missed later today.

axelb, Frodocious and Mitch like this.
  3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So first proper week of trying to implement a more structured approach to life and I have to say it feels pretty good.
    I didn't do the weights sessions part. That's the hardest stuff for me to fit in, in the time I have between life stuff, and also the thing that hits me hardest physically and impacts the following days. It's annoying because if I could get that right it'd probably be the activity with the best investment/return.
    Hopefully with the kids back and school, and various clubs back, on that should free up some evening time.
    On the days when my routine slipped or I didn't get stuff done just being able to quantify that really helps.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

First off, awesome job dude, really happy for you. I missed the end of last week and had a weird shoulder/neck pain happening. Did my usual routine that includes hangs and it magically sorted itself :D

As for the weights session, please, please please try East Strength. :) You need something quick? You need something beneficial? You need something that doesn't leave you wading through DOMS?

Easy Strength, I'm telling you. 10 to 15 minutes with no supplemental stuff. Just follow the video. Do it 5 times a week for 8 weeks and you will be amazed. I know, I know, "5 days a week?!" But it's 15 minutes max! The whole week that's just over an hour! You don't even have to change into gym kit :) Trust me on this, it will work for you :)

Failing that, do The Perfect Workout. Takes him 8 minutes.

Go Smitty! :D

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Did my fastest ever 5k yesterday. The time is unimportant (it ain't good) but having recently turned 50 it's good to see a little improvement now and then.
    Also updated my morning routine to be nice and streamlined without being overly complicated or involved but still hitting the right spots.
    On Mitch's advice I've started Easy Strength (after getting back from holiday) but I can see that even fitting in 15/20 minutes a day (after work, travel, running, kids, house, etc) is gonna be the thing I find hardest.

axelb and Frodocious like this.
  6. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Congrats of your personal record! I wouldn't diminish it by saying your time wasn't good. At least in my book, even just running 5 km without a break is praiseworthy :D

Do you have any particular goals when it comes to running? Be it time, distance or, idk, regular training?

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Well thank you for asking! There are multiple reasons/goals for my running and none of them are really time or distance related.
    I've always admired runners and wanted to be one. I like seeing people out for a run and give them a mental high five and a silent "well done" if I pass them. They're out there putting in the work. I've tried several times to "become" a runner but always failed (shin splints). This time around I took my time with the progression from couch to 5K (took me months rather than weeks!) and finally made it to the point where I know I can just "go for a run" and run twice a week as standard. Even helped form a lunch-time running club where I work.
    Blood pressure. Got diagnosed with high blood pressure a couple of years back and obviously regular exercise can help keep that regulated/down.
    Cardio for martial arts. Wanted some base level cardio for when I spar and train martial arts. Initially for when covid lockdown lifted, and regular training resumed, but now just as base level fitness.
    Self satisfaction. I like the sense of achievement doing a run gives me. Like ticking a box or doing a chore. Got a mate who runs more than me but won't run if it's hot or cold or raining. I like that stuff as it increases the smug self satisfaction of doing it! Think that's the martial arts mentality coming through. :)
    Parkruns. I do love a Parkrun. Last year my resolution was simply to "run regularly for a year" and so started doing Parkruns as part of that. And I'm evangelical about them. I'm currently on 45 (at 15 different locations). So looking to hit 50 Parkruns/20 locations in 5 or 6 weeks and then on to 100 sometime in the next couple of years. Doing a Parkrun is the best start to a weekend I find and they are easier if you also run during the week.
    Age. Being 50 and the importance of "use it or lose it" rears its head. Trying to stay active and mobile as I age. Not sure running fits with that as it is hard on the body!

axelb and Nachi like this.
  8. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I really like your goals! I think those are healthy ones.
    I also tried the coach to 5K app a few years ago and actually was quite enjoying the simple runs at the beginning, but my shins were giving me trouble as well and I give up. I never had any drems about running, as I am more of a sprinter than a long-distance runner, so I don't feel particularly bad about it :oops:
    My dad decided to start running at the age of over 50, but he started suddenly and at 5-7 or how many km at a time and it only took a few months for him to get a knee surgery as a result... I think slow start and slowly getting used to it is a very good idea. My dad was basically asked if he had been running before and how his progression went. When he said He had never been running and he simply started with a few km... the doctor asked what he was thinking. I admire him for being able to just run like that, but unfortunately, and for obvious reasons he never went back to running after that.

Running in cold, hot, and rain no matter what does sound a bit like a martial arts mentality. :D I really like what you wrote.
    I hope you will be able to achieve your 50 and then 100 runs smoothly.
    Overall, keep enjoying it! :)

Smitfire likes this.
  9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

A common rule of thumb with running progression is the "10% rule". Don't add more than 10% to your running quota each week. Either time or distance. Don't try and do too much too soon basically. That way your body has time to adapt and deal with it without getting injured. Progressive overload.
    Obviously some people can cope with more than that but it's a good rough guide for many. As a life time non-runner and no real aptitude for it for me even 10% is too much. M couch to 5k involved repeating weeks multiple times, going back to previous weeks if my legs flared up and taking it really slowly. Most weeks I didn't add any % at all and just let my body get used to the level I was already doing.
    I've had some of my running buddies ask if I'll go up to 10k runs or half marathons but knowing how much effort and time it took me simply to get to 5k without blowing out my lower legs I know that it'll be too much time and effort.
    Rather than being a useful side activity running would end up being my main focus and actually compromise some of the goals stated above.
    I like being able to tun 5k non stop. I like doing Parkruns. I have a vague interest in doing more but don't have the time or will to commit to it any more than I do without it impacting my martial arts, weights, home life etc.

Nachi, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  10. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Well done on the 5km pb. No what you think of the time it is a pb and shows improvement :D:cool:

The parkrun is a great organisation. It always clashes with my kids swimming, but I enjoyed the few I did.