Small Workouts During The Day?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by AndrewTheAndroid, May 24, 2015.

1. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I was wondering how effective five 10 minute workouts would be compared to doing one 50 minute workout.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I've just read a book called fast exercise and research has been done indicating that you can make cardio gains in as little as 40 seconds 3 times a week.

It sounds impossible, but the research confirms that after warming up, a flat out 20 second burst, followed by a regular pace, then another 20 second burst is enough to make a difference.

I think it's worth experimenting with the timings, as you may be at a level that required 3 x 30 second bursts for example.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjIf146TsFM"]Fast Exercise book review - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7-h_w7bJrU"]High Intensity Training - Horizon: The Truth About Exercise - BBC Two - YouTube[/ame]

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

It depends what your goals are, certain biological changes can only happen under extended condition's where your heart rate stays in a specific range, others can happen in a smaller window, it all depends on what your goals are

4. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

My only goal right now is to lose weight aka burn fat.

5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/hliving/shvslonex.html

Interesting study but I do see potential holes...

Short duration, high-intensity sessions beat out any SINGLE other method but the best method, IMHO, in combining short, medium and high intensity with varying routines and varying session lengths.

Ideally.

Plus...why not kill two birds with a single stone? Why not add make cardiac endurance or strength gain, etc., your prime goal and the weight loss will follow?

I have heard that high intensity tends to burn carbs whilst low-mod intensity tends to burn fat - don't know if this is true or to the degree it is.

Maybe someone could elaborate on this.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Then change your diet, that's the best way to lose fat, exercise wise its whatever you personally can stick to over a period of time, lost combat athletes and bodybuilders when looking to drop fat restrict carbs and do a lot of steady state cardio, its not flash or sexy but it works, its really not about which session burns more calories during or afterwards, its about what you can personally do with enough frequency and volume whilst in a calorie deficit. High intensity intervals sound a good idea but if you are only able to do a few intervals once or twice a week due levels of conditioning and recovery is it the best way to go? Nearly anyone can do steady state work on a daily basis without it effecting recovery, then throw an interval session in as and when you are able