Slight injury - should one complete?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by 23197, Sep 15, 2010.

1. 23197

23197 Valued Member

Persevere and thrive on the adversity of the injury. Go for it!

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Even if it's a broken leg? How do you persevere through that?

3. 23197

23197 Valued Member

I was referring to his 'slight' injury.

PS-I persevered with a broken arm, lost the fight but finished without taking the DQ win.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Eh? Yours is the first post in this thread. :confused:

5. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

MAP is having a wobble I think !!

First posts are vanishing !!

SMurf

6. 23197

23197 Valued Member

I noticed that also-I was simply replying to the title of the thread. I understood it to be a general question. 'Should one compete with a slight injury?'

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

*Groan*

I need a beer...

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

*Groan*

I need a beer...

9. 23197

23197 Valued Member

Awe c'mon VZ I have a tournament Saturday & am trying to keep it together before then. It would not be right if I let you drink alone...:cool:

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

11. 23197

23197 Valued Member

Ps VZ, Awesome flexibility. I am out to 165 (hit 170 once but I may have been sleeping) on the wallace type stretcher we use at the dojang. Not bad for an old man like me so the kids tell me.
    My instructors wife is a phys. therapist so she's always explaining why some have better stretch than others etc. etc. very important aspect of what we do.

12. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Slight injury? Compete?

I would reply that I don't think that during the rugby season there is a week that goes by when we don't compete with some sort of slight injury... that goes on weekly for 8 months of the year LOL!!

Think that playing injured is all relative to what sort of art you do and what sort of competition you are entering. Oh ok... the area and type of injury would be factors as well.

I tore my shoulder when I got caught with a great shionage and still played rugby for the season although I couldn't lift my arm above my head. I guess it depends on how badly you want to play.. One thing about traditional arts from what little that I know was that you had to develop a mental toughness (3x down, 4x up) or you wouldn't survive.

More of my usual ramblings, sorry ;' )

powchoy

13. righty

righty Valued Member

Alrighty everyone. The original post consisted of a long winded story of my injury (dodgy knee) and a whole heap of factors about this competition that made me question if I should really compete this weekend. MAP at the time was being a bit epileptic but you should probably be thankful that you didn't read the original dissertation.

Saw the physio and it's just my chronic knee getting worse for the time being. After writing this I'm going to have a search for ITB stuff. But there's not a hugely increased risk of it causing a more acute injury so I'm going to go for it.

Part of the issue is I'm being forced into the mens divisions (I'm a woman) just because there are no other women. So I have no idea of how I'll go despite being one of the higher grades but in reality I'll be physically outmatched. So I figure I'll just try my best and see what happens. If I come last I figure I'll just say well, I'm a girl...and my knee hurts and I would have won if I was allowed to kick you in the nuts :p

It's a bit of an eclectic competition, including strikes, throws, grappling and submissions (including leglocks) so anything could happen. But I'm aware of my knees so regarding leglocks I just tap early.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Forgive me Righty. I always took you for a bloke. :eek:

15. righty

righty Valued Member

:dunno: You're the one that wears high heels.

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Only so I can stiletto the other guy in the eye.

17. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

ROFL!

MAP is cracking me up!

18. gcollin

gcollin Banned Banned

This is probably one of the more random posts I have seen!.

19. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Righty use your skills to the maximum .....

and if all else fails kick them in the groin and say you missed the target area !!!!

Good luck

Smurf

20. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

I'm referring to the confusion on the first page. :D

Joe: I was referring to his 'slight' injury.

VZ: Eh? Yours is the first post in this thread. :confused: