Sleep problems....

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Su lin, Jan 8, 2007.

1. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

I've been having some problems sleeping myself, although mine reasons are easily explained.

Shhh, don't tell the panda I've been using my leet ninjer mindpowers to wake her. Soon she'll be too tired to stay awake and I'll make off with her flapjack. Mwhahahaha! :yeleyes:

*singing*
    Go to sleep
    Go to sleep
    ti-red pan-da
    Go to sleep
    Go to sleep...

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooh BC you swine you!!!!!! :Alien:

3. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

i splurged and bought a sleep number.... it's lovely :love:

4. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

I also find that having a really hot bath before bed helps. It feels like the steam makes it harder to breathe and almost sends you to sleep.

5. Roual

Roual Eternally curious...

Aw, just sleep nekkid :)

Thinking about the matress suggestions, have you tried flipping and rotating your matress recently? They do wear out which can reduce the support they give you which in turn can interrupt your sleep (as well as causing back ache).

Try sleeping with the window open for some fresh air, or if you do, then sleep with it closed to cut out the noise. Turn the heating in your room off so it doesn't get too hot in the early hours of the morning.

There is one more thing to try, but it requires a partner ;)

6. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I know this is kind of thread necromancy, but for all you people with sleepy issues out there I may have something to help.
    I was recommended a tea by a friend that helps with sleep, well you just make it yourself and is very simple!
    Valerian root is well know as a herb that aids relaxation and sleep and is in many of the herbal sleeping products you can get. I got some loose chammomile,loose lavender and loose valerian root from the local hippy shop , put about 1teaspoon of each in a tea ball and infused for about 5 minutes or so. Had about 1 1/2 mugs before bed and within 15 mins was in a very deep sleep and pretty convinced I didn't wake up until I got woken by the sun.Took me a while to come round and felt really quite chilled all day, so going to try it nightly,apparently takes about 14 days or so.

Just something that I am hoping works for me. :)

7. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Su - I was having the same problem when I lived at my mom's house due to my dog, and the skylights being over my head, and just generally being a light sleeper.

I did 2 things that totally knocked the problem on it's ****.

1. I bought my own place, and strategically positioned my room in the middle of the house. No doors, no windows in the roon.

2. I started taking melatonin when I had trouble sleeping - this stuff is GREAT. I beleive it's natural, and it will give you 6.5 hours of good solid sleep (with some really wonky dreams, which you'll get used to, or they'll go away.

I have a select comfort bed too, and it rocks!

8. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Not sure about the States, but I'm pretty sure melatonin is illegal in the UK.

I've heard good things about valerian. Su, it could be that's the ingredient that's helping you sleep.

9. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Melatonin is legal in the US, but apparently you can have it in the UK but it just can't be sold there. So you can buy it over the internet? Anyway, that's what a quick search seems to indicate.
    http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article2437464.ece

Er, Yohan-
    How do you enter a room with no doors and no windows? I bet complete isolation does help sleep patterns. ;)

10. CosmicFish

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification Wry.

11. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Interesting stuff, thanks Wry!

And lol at Yohna, good point! Unfortunately my house is pretty small and every room has a window in it (ad a door :D) . May try a black out blind though as my curtains are pretty thin and I sleep facing the window.I think this really may be part of the problem.

12. Fishbone.

Fishbone. Banned Banned

Dump the coffee... Caffeine is addictive.

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

No way!!! :eek:

I cut down on coffee but I'm not giving up one of my favourite things, I only have 1 -2 cups a day now and never after 7pm

14. CosmicFish

He might have a point actually. I wouldn't quit it completely either, but caffeine does have a halflife of about 3-4 hours in a healthy adult. Other factors can extend that a fair bit too.

In any case, say you have your last cup bang on 7pm, you'll still have a fair amount of stimulant in your system by bed time. Personally I stop drinking anything stimulating after 2:00pm.

15. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

You speak sense Cosmic :( May try getting a decent decaff to drink later on in the day, but finding one is pretty hard.