Sleep problems....

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Su lin, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

That's a really interesting article,thankyou.
    Must get zinc levels up and look at other aspects too. :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Well while you're all discussing supplements in relation to sleep, you might want to look into trying some GABA. I got some a while ago and I sleep a hell of a lot better on it.

It's a little hard to get hold of if you live in the UK though.

3. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

OVERTRAINING. Remember that the CNS is the first part of your self susceptible to this condition.

4. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Well, I went on a decent run, read for an hour before bed,had the bedroom nice and cool and still kept waking up,so now finding it very hard to concentrate on my work.
    Going to try not to think about it tonight though and do some training to try tiring me out again.

Durkhrod, if it's overtraining what's the best thing to counteract that?

5. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

Su, something you might want to try is L-Theanine. it's a free amino acid, most commonly found in green tea, and has some great relaxing properties. you should be able to find it in supplement form easily enough. works really well for helping yousettle into sleep & stay there, plus has the added benefit of being non-habit forming (as it's just an amino acid).

here's some more info on it:
    http://www.web-us.com/l-theanine_anxiety_reducer.htm

6. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Thanks Cait.Can you get enough of it to make a difference from Green Tea ,as I drink quite a lot of it?
    It's the settling down and staying asleep that's the thing,I noticed last night I kept turning over and whenever I did I seemed to wake up. :confused:

7. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

you might want to try it on its own - in the tea it's countering the stimulating effects of the caffine, etc, and while it will calm you, i don't know that it'll help you sleep. besides the fact that drinking too much that close to bed will have you up have the night anyway :eek:

8. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

Well I was up at 1:15am this morning and every 10 minutes thereafter.

Su - you been training more recently?

9. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

True Cait!

I have actually been training less over the holidays than normal,but it started before the holidays when I was training "normally".

Bet you're knackered aren't you V?

10. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

I am going out to buy a sleep mask today, oh yes. :D

It doesn't help that the dog insists upon waking up somewhere between 5:30-6:30am. I wonder if I can get her bladder enlarged.

11. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Or start giving her some kind of doggy sleep aid!

May try the eye mask too,although I do worry about waking and worrying that I have gone blind during the night! :p

12. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

another thing to think about -
    i was having the same problem at the end of the summer - took forever to get to sleep, kept waking up all night, & nothing helped... i bought a new bed in september. sleep's been lovely ever since. we tend to forget that when our bed gets old it doesn't support us properly anymore, & we wake up because our body's not happy.

just a thought.

13. wrydolphin

If I had the money, I would get one of those magis Temperpedic matresses. Although they do sell the mattress toppers, which might be good.

Everytime I roll over, I wake up and it doesn't help that my room is very bright because of that light. I have always been a light sleeper. Anytime anything happens, the dog moves or someone talks outside and I go wide awake.

14. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

An old remedy for this is to stuff hops into your pillow or buy one ready made, have no idea if it actually works but apparently the sent causes deep sleep.
    If your diet has not changed since you started having this problem then it’s probably not your diet. Such problems can not only be caused by stress but if you have strong aspirations to do something, change something your mind will not rest until you make a start in that direction.

15. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

One word - Chloroform...

:D

16. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Thanks Chimp, I shall be sure to try that tonight. :p

17. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

panda, here is a tachnique that works sometimes for me. get in bed and get as relaxed as you can. then take deep breaths very slowly and with each breath count from 60 backwards to one.

18. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Thanks G ,will try that. This week I haven't been having problems getting back to sleep again,its the waking up many times that kind of interrupts things.
    Trying different pjs tonight (going for the random trying different things approach this week) :p

19. wrydolphin

I have found changing sheets sometimes helps as well. Either the jersey style sheets or the high count cotton sheets seem to work the best.

20. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Mmmm fresh sheets ! Part of my thinking about changing pjs is that I may just be too warm maybe?
    Jersey sheets are lovely though! Hope the eye mask helps you Wry. :) Are you in flats/Halls? When I was at uni I found it particularly hard to sleep being in Halls as every little noise seemed to wake me up.