Sleep problems....

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Su lin, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

You'll be sleeping when you get home at least (?) :D

2. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

I used to be the same It would take me ages to fall asleep then Id wake up a few times in the night.
    I got bought one of them eyemasks for christmas the ones you get on planes, now Im lucky If i ever wake up I could sleep all day with it on.

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Definitely empathising with you there Pacific! I've had about four hours sleep in total in the past three days. I'm quite suprised I'm not hallucinating yet!

4. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

panda girl, i have the same problem and did some research and found that sleep patterns go in cycles: 1 1/2 hrs, 3hrs, 4 1/2 hrs and so on. you usually get your deepest sleep between 1 and 3 1/2 hrs. i've been sleeping 2hrs , wake up for 5minutes or so, then back to sleep for another 2-3 hrs and up again, but when i get up in the morning for good i rarley drag. hope this helps a little

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ahh that's interesting thanks G, maybe I should forget about it and not worry,as that will only make it worse.
    Good thinking Sam,may try that out!

6. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Looks like there are plenty of us out there with sleep problems. I might try the mask, now that I think about it. Especially since my apartment thought it would be nice to have a security light right outside my bedroom window.

I usually won't sleep at all about two to three nights out of seven. I have tried lemon balm tea and that usually helps, though I am not sure if it is the seditive in the tea or if it is just the fact that I am sitting and relaxing for a bit before bed. Regular exercise is good, but not too late. I have also learned to never take naps, to just force it until I have a chance to go to bed.

Anyone else have suggestions?

7. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

wry- a good hit with a sledge hammer has helped me :confused:

8. wrydolphin

I think I would like to avoid anything that might lead to perminant damage, thanks. :)

9. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

:p you mean futher damage :D

10. Victoria

Good point about the napping wry.
    The days that I am tired I end up napping before practice, which means that even if I do get to sleep in the night I'll wake up every 30 mins :bang:

Napping, don't do it :D

Although some might argue that a couple of naps through the day is better than a nights sleep :confused:

11. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ahh I never nap either,end up feeling really dodgy.
    Just been out for a run so hoping that knocks me out! Wonder if it's something to do with martial arts training or something?
    I tend to find that if I can sit and read before bed that helps me wake up less through the night. I think it also helps not to watch tv up until going to bed too, as your brain doesn't have chance to wind down enough before sleeping.
    The Lemon balm tea sounds nice Wry.

12. wrydolphin

It actually has a very pleasant taste. I am a huge tea fan and even once found a tea mixture that kept away feas and chiggers- though nothing works on ticks except DDT. :p

Taking a long hot bath has helped me on occasion as well, I usually light a lavender candle and read something that doesn't require too much thinking.

13. Victoria

Apparently you're not suppose to watch TV/play games/sit on the internet/read/do exercise for at least an hour before bed.

Not sure about that though. It would only leave the option of staring at a blank wall :Alien:

14. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Like Wry I find reading helps a lot,I tend to drift off then get woken up wondering why I have a book on my head! Does anyone else find its not the getting to sleep that's a problem,it's the constant waking up then not being able to get back to sleep that is?

15. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Hi Su, V has the right idea about the tv/computer.

Also you probably need to let go of the anxiety that 'you can't go to bed, can't sleep properly' when you do go to sleep. Think positive thoughts :)

I would never suggest alcohol as a solution to this. I have a friend who is 37 and has a bottle of wine and a glass on her bedstand and is so hooked on it as a means of getting to sleep.

16. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Thanks Lily :)
    I find alcohol makes me fall asleep really quickly but I wake up even more, I have now cut it out completely as training much more and really don't like the way it makes me feel either.
    I'm trying to think positively now, that I have been running,going to bed with my book and thinking nice sleepy thoughts. :)

17. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

I'm a terrible sleeper myself. I've also been waking up a lot in the last couple of nights, so perhaps there is something goiung on with the weather..

I've tried loads of things to help me sleep by none of them seem to have any real effect. Reading sometimes helps, but then again sometimes keeps me up all night. Making sure you get up and go to sleep at the same times everyday seems to pretty important, although it's not always that easy.

18. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Sorry to hear about that LJoll, looks like map is full of bad sleepers. :cry:
    I think routine is pretty important,trying not to stay up late,get up late at weekends is my next goal.

19. Roual

Roual Eternally curious...

Like everyone else on this, I'm having trouble sleeping, but unlike you all, I know exactly what my problem is and it isn't likely to be solved anytime soon.

Reading all your posts got me thinking about something I read on T-Nation, and after half an hour of searching, I finally found it.

Take a look at this http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1257805, the bit you want is about 1/3 of the way down, the section titled 'Age, Training, and Dwindling Hormones'. It may not be imediately obvious why I've pointed you at this, but read on and hopefully you'll see my point.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go lay in bed for 10 hours trying to remember how it felt to be able to sleep all night.

20. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Sorry to hear about your problem.
    I will have a look at the article. :)