slapping power

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by krys, Apr 5, 2004.

1. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

could someone tell me what the double hip technique is and how to do it for punches and kicks? id be most grateful, its been bugging me for ages

2. Plywood

Plywood New Member

From my experience, unless the arnisador also has a background in Chinese martial arts, you won't hear much talk about spiralling energy, rootedness or body mechanics. The fma's just don't think that way. Remember a lot of these guys are farmers or fishermen, or if their from the city they're jeepney drivers who have to do their own mechanics. They have thick strong hands unlike a lot of us who excercise our hands on the keyboard. I've found that weapons work will give you the body mechanics over time even without having to wax philosophically about it.

While I've found the Chinese arts use either the palm heel or the centre of the palm to slap with, the fma's will actually use the upper half of the palm out to the finger tips. It is a slap that is often aimed at the hands, wrists and arms and can be turned into a grab or joint lock on contact. Its not meant to ko an opponent as much as it is to set up another technique. A slap has less chance of resulting in broken bones. While a slap can generate enormous amounts of power, it is actually difficult to use on offence against a retreating opponent. It's easier when you are set on defense and someone is advancing. Like it says in the old Chinese yin yang addage, use hard against soft and soft against hard. A slap is better used against the head than the body. But as I said earlier, it can be used well against arms too. Otherwise, most arnisadors use it to insult or humiliate an opponent to goad them into doing something that would leave them open.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It is quite hard to describe but the principle is basically this;

In a left lead stance you are going to throw a reverse punch. Done "normally" the left side pulls back as your right fires forward. Essentially you lose power due to as much force going backwards as going forwards. The double hip would involve "cocking" your left side by pushing the hip forward first and then following it through with the right. It makes for more fo a "fast push" than an actual punch, but delivers a tremendous amount of impact and bloomin' well hurts!

That description is not great but is about as close as I can get without physically showing you. Get "Powerstrike" on video - it is very good!

4. marcusknight

thankyou hanibal, i will try to get my head around what to do and see if it works. cheers, i was going to buy the power strike and power kick books/video but i dont like buying books or videos unless i have had a look at them first, what sort of things do they teach you?
    thanx again

5. master35

master35 New Member

not really. got 1 wife beater and i personally bitch slap him to the cell. :mad:

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

a slap is safer than a punch. less chances of breaking your hand.

7. master35

master35 New Member

a slap is more insulting.

8. ranger

ranger New Member

so shall we start a poll who has received and has a given a slap? :D :D

9. master35

master35 New Member

wheheheh!!!

10. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

In Taekwon-Do, we don't "slap" but we do use palm heel strikes which are very powerfull. I'm only 17 but i can break 3" of wood with a normal palm heel strike, and 2" of wood with a one-inch palm heel strike.

11. marcusknight

just to make sure im right in thinking this, is a palm heal strike a palm strike using the part of the palm of the hand that sticks out a bit and is connected to your thumb.

12. master35

master35 New Member

which is more faster to apply a slap or a punch?

13. shootodog

both. depends on how fast you are.

14. master35

master35 New Member

this question depends upon 1 person alone for comparison.
    you think your punch is faster than your slap?

15. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

For me, it depends on the situation. If my hand is already balled, then a punch will likely be faster. If it's open, then a slap will likely be quicker. But, really, when properly done, they should be about the same speed.

Mike

16. shootodog

i do both with ease.

17. master35

master35 New Member

18. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

wats paster? Di open hand kips yor 4arms relax, close to make a pist and u tighten yor 4arms. So more relax more paster ! Punching by closed pist the pastest is da jab! straight to point , cuts time-point A to point b, Most slap use diagonal downward , use of gravity, also like baseball pitch-most pawerful trow for pawer and spid! Must add 2 say "who is yor Daddy" when salpping like da master of dis guys :D

In knife fighting you look at da masters like Grand Master Gaje, he trust and slash wit weepon , y he hab pinger or thumb out? becos dis relax 4arms, he close only wen impakto comes!

19. shootodog

:D:D:D good one!:D:D:D

20. krys

krys Valued Member

What about using slaps for distraction?
    Making your opponent focus on the wrong target?
    Anybody tried this?