Skipping, Swimming - adequate cardio?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Yohan, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

So I'm probably about to change things up soon. I've gotten rather out of shape. My Kung Fu class doesn't really keep me in shape, so I'm about to start hitting up the gym to get some weight lifting and cardio in. I've got a good idea about weightlifting from the forums, and I'm going to get a PT to help me put together a routine, but I had a few questions about cardio (I'll also run it past the PT I'm talking to).

Just to clarify, I want to start getting my conditioning on point and start doing some competitions of the NHB variety. I'm going to change my MA training to reflect this as well.

First off, how does skipping rank up for cardio? Can I replace running/cycling/rowing with skipping rope and still get an effective workout?

I'm honestly not all about running. I want to get out of it if at all possible. I rather like skipping rope.

Additionally, I like swimming alot. I'd like to base my workouts around lifting, skipping and swimming.

If I do the swimming, I'm likely going to lots of interval training. Like 25 meter freestyle on a 40 second interval, etc. For those not familiar with swimming training, the "way to do" sprints is to do one pool length in a specific amount of time. If you give yourself 40 seconds and finish in 20, you get to rest for 20 seconds before taking off. You generally do 5-10 laps of a sprint on a set interval.

If I do serious skipping, will that give me adequate CV training? Could I do it exclusively if I wanted to, and still have the necessary wind to finish a 3 round 3 minute fight?

If I swim and jump rope in the same day, would that be a bad thing?

2. Achilles

Achilles Valued Member

Skipping is excellent also you should give HIIT a try or tabata both are great for fat loss and conditioning. Here is a great program for someone interested in weight training check it out
    Try sticking with that program for a while, you could do HIIT/Tabata/skipping/swimming on your rest days. I wouldn't recommend letting some idiot personal trainer give you a program unless he/she is actually decent which most of the ones at the local gyms are not. That program with a good nutritional plan will give you some good results so try it out.

3. kittykun

kittykun New Member

Well id recomment a mixture of cardioo. You like swimming, and want to try jump rope, but u dnt like running. Well at least you have options. Id recommend each time you do cardio mix it up, like do jump rope one day, then cycling the next, and swiming, etc. I would say do a interval run every now and then because its very effective. If your not sure what interval training running im talking about, jog and every now and then sprint for 30 secondes then jog for about a bit then sprint for 30 seconds again, and repeat about 4 times. You could repeat it more

heres a link for you about cardio its really a lot of articles. You could even use the rest of the site for training tips. Iv gotten a lot of usefull tips from it

<link>

link tidied up by coma

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2007
  4. kittykun

kittykun New Member

Bodybuilding.com isa great place to get info from, id highly recommend it. As for jump rope, yes you can get a kick ass CT from it. As you get use to the traditional jump, you could start other jump methods

Alterat jumping on each foot, 2 jumps on a foot then two on the other, continuous jumps on one leg, so like 10 jumps in a row on one leg then switch and repeat. You can build up to those. Id recommend going to ur local borders, or whatever you have wereu live, and look for a jump rope book in the fitness section. Or you could use the net for free XD

I would recommend a run a few times a month though but you dont have to.

5. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

swimming is probably the best style of cardio known to mankind. so is jumping rope. read any article on MMA training, and it includes skipping rope. you're on the right track. running sucks, especially on treadmills.

6. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

If you have the speed and coordination to jump rope for 3 minutes without stopping then you will be fine in a 3 minute round, (as long as you don’t get kicked or hit) but for cardio jumping or as you call it skipping rope is great. We have the little kid’s jump rope in almost every class; if they can time the rope they can time an opponent. They are also working out and having fun at the same time. So I feel the benefits of jumping rope go beyond plain old cardio.
    Swimming is great cardio but for most of us it requires more time before and after the workout to maintain a swimming program, but if you have the facilities it’s great. I admit I still love to run, and a running program is low maintenance compared to most cardio. I hope my body will always be able to deal with the road work IMO it just can’t be replaced. I mean all this other stuff is good for you but if I want to improve my wind I start hitting the road 4-6 days out of the week and it always does the trick.

7. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

While I can see where you are coming from, I have to ask - so which one is best then?

:p

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

9. tom pain

Did you read what I quoted? :confused:

10. Moi

The link I provided gave the calorific count of both swimming and skipping but burning energy is not the only use of both of these exercises, other skills are learnt. You would need to define what 'best' is for your question to be answered.

11. tom pain

OK what I was saying to Domino was a joke:

Basically he said that two things were the best style of cardio 'known to mankind'.

12. Moi

Little slow today ;)

13. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

join the club.

swimming is the bestest and skipping rope is the best. There, happy, Tom? :p

14. tom pain

Umm....oh go on then! :D