skipping question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ned, Sep 3, 2013.

1. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I used to skip for 45 minutes when i was 20, oh how age and abusing the body changes things now it kills my shins

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

^ Are you doing it on a rubber or sprung floor, with a running type shoe? I only skip for around 5-10 minutes... That reminds me, a couple of weeks ago I was at the gym doing my warmup, and there was an awful racket going on I could hear it above my mp3 player, a girl was running on the treadmill in Chuck Taylors

3. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

chuck taylors shoes? was he mad? were they too big? who is chuck taylor

4. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

no concrete with new balance cross trainers on i treid 2 minutes, remember im pretty out of shape at moment was just saying used to do loads of skipping

5. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

She.... You know Chuck Taylor:cool:

http://www.converse.com/

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

PASmith:
    The way I've always measured my ropes isn't by the handle but by the rope itself. I always make sure the ends of the rope are at my armpits so the handles go past my shoulder a bit.

If the rope is to short or too long it makes doing the tricks harder, finding the perfect length for you is key to doing them. You have to pay a bit of attention to how you're holding your arms when swinging the rope too because that changes the length of the rope. I tend to have my elbows tucked in towards my sides (about 8 inches from being tight to my sides). If I'm using a rope that's longer than my normal length I skip with my arms extended and at about a 30-35 degree angle from the shoulder, shorter ropes (which I never really use because it ticks me off) I have to have my elbows pressed to my sides.

The best thing to do is go a bit longer than what you think you need and watch yourself skip in the mirror. Make sure you can see your feet and try to skip naturally without adjusting your arms and adjust the rope to a proper length where the center part of the rope on the swing down to your feet is as center as possible without you having to adjust your arms and that should be the correct length. Rope ending at armpits has always worked for me though : P.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Here's the video I was on about. Buddy Lee measuring a rope.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MDyFoB6uMM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MDyFoB6uMM[/ame]

8. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

is it a new sport like tossing the caber. chuck taylor....swift, how far could you chuck her ? let me just stop you there, i could chuck beyonce much further, her throwability was much better, [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z8gCZ7zpsQ"]TAYLOR SWIFT VMA AWARD MOMENT RUINED BY KANYE WEST - YouTube[/ame]

9. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

From what I have learnt........Skipping is about timing and rhythm. It should teach you how to half beats and fit things in the spaces of normal rhythm.
    It should replicate a fight by being a steady pace then suddenly and randomly being intense and fast for a short time, then back to steady ,then a short intense burst and so on and so on.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I shot a complete skipping tutorial this morning, but unfortunately the intro isn't that clear, so it'll have to wait another week or so before I can re-shoot it.

Here though is me warming up before class today.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9_j9YgWkK0&feature=c4-overview&list=UUCEvC8J27lX6ns2hNgY3zUQ"]Skipping - YouTube[/ame]

11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Do you dance the same way?

I can't skip for anything. Nice one!

12. Simon

I've been promising to do a video thread for two years and today I got round to it.

Once I've re-done the intro I'll post it up.

I run a skipping class at work during the lunch break. Within 5 or 6 sessions even the non skippers can do 50 turns of the rope.

We'll soon have you skipping, I guarantee it.

13. Bozza Bostik

A skipping class? I'd be there!!

Yeah, I'd like to be able to skip. I can stumble around with a rope a little bit, but it definitely needs some work.

You post it and I'll do it. I might even "vlog" my progress so I get a fancy tag.

14. Simon

You have a deal.

15. Simon

Here's a variation that hits the quads, rather than the calves and hamstrings.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXraEBhhbAg"]skipping with emphasis on the quads - YouTube[/ame]

16. ned

ned Valued Member

Since i started this thread i've been working on my skipping to regain some lost stamina/cardio fitness.the advice and clips posted here definitely helped and i'm building up
    my routine in length and variety(starting from basic"girly jumps"for about a minute)
    to approx 3mins.At this point tiredness usually means i catch the rope so i have a breather and repeat.In light of the recent" videos posted "thread I'll try and get one of my daughters to record my efforts for your amusement!

17. Bozza Bostik

What I'll do is post a video of me skipping (pre-tutorial), then follow the videos and see how I progress.

Might be a bit hard as we're heading to that 20 hours of darkness season...but I'm sure I can get something half decent.

18. Simon

That's cool, but I will be starting a new thread when the video is posted.

19. ned

ned Valued Member

Quick video I did after work today as a means of charting my progress,I'll post another in
    a month or so.Looking a bit sloppy I know but hey,it's been a long week !
    Apologies for the poor lighting/laboured breathing .

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dDBvUA3zJI"]YouTube[/ame]

20. Simon

Good work, ned. Nothing wrong with that.

I've hired all hall for an hour early Sunday morning so that I can re-shoot my video.

I'll start a new thread and have the tutorial up after I've done the editing, so some time Sunday afternoon.

I'll move your video to the new thread once it's up.

Hopefully after Sunday we'll get few more posting their videos and we'll progress together.