skipping question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ned, Sep 3, 2013.

1. ned

ned Valued Member

Up until a few months ago i was running my local disused airfield(approx 3 miles)every day with my dogs,however with familly/work demands on my time thats gone out of the window recently.
    So now I"m planning on largely replacing this area of my training(cardio/stamina)with
    skipping and running when I can fit it in.
    What are the pros/cons in your opinion and what sort of periods/intensity of sessions would give similar results?
    For me the things skipping can't replace are the enjoyment of being out in the fresh air and quiet time for contemplation.The advantages are I can easily work out in my new shed and dark winter evenings are'nt a problem.
    Also,can i use any old rope(got some sash cord) or is it worth getting a proper jump rope?
    cheers !!

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

It is absolutely worth buying a good jump rope. Not only will it make skipping easier and more enjoyable, but it will last a lot longer. Not sure where you can pick of fitness equipment where you live but I get mine online. I also prefer wire jump ropes but I was going through one every 3 months because I was skipping so much. I recommend buying a great set of handles that you can replace the cord on since the cord is pretty cheap if you go the wire route. A simple licorice speed rope is great for beginners and often pretty cheap though.

You can do a million things with a jump rope. The conditioning from skipping transfers into MA (especially things like boxing) very well. It keeps your legs strong during long training or sparring sessions too. While skipping is great it isn't as taxing on the body as something like running a fast pace. It's a different kind of endurance and it it doesn't work as well as running for total body fitness and your lungs (in my experience and what I've seen at my boxing gym, heavy skippers vs. runners). I'm not saying it won't help you for total body fitness and training your lungs, it's just not as ideal as actually running but it makes up for this in coordination and speed training. To get the same kind of benefits near to running you'll have to do a ton of skipping to learn how to do trick stuff, double and triple jumps, and different maneuvers like running in place. All that takes time to learn how to coordinate and do vs. just going outside for a run but it's worth learning to do.

Do you know how to skip rope now or are you picking it up as a new kind of training? I classify 'knowing how to skip' as being you can alternate feet while hopping and you only jump maybe an inch or two off the ground and can hold that steady for a good minute or two without messing up.

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I wouldn't skip on just any surface though. When I first got into skipping I didn't have much choice, the last gym had all hard floors, apart from the deadlift platform which at least had some layers of ply. If I really went for it I would get the same kind of shin splint pain and need to lay off for a few weeks.

In the current gym there is a rubber matted warmup area which is better than the carpeted area. I broke my cheap speed rope a couple of weeks ago, and the only one at the gym is also broken, can still do double unders with it, just not as flowing

4. ned

ned Valued Member

I have done a bit when i did some boxing awhile back,short 2min bursts alternated with bagwork but it's something I'd like to learn properly.
    I totally get what you say about it not being a replacement for running but hopefully I can
    get a routine going which would incorporate both.I guess youtube would be a first stop
    for instructional help,hopefully it'll be an extra element to my training which i can fit in easily,and encourage me to develop my bagwork too.Thanks for your advice,I was hoping for a boxers opinion!

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I find skipping utterly frustrating.
    I can do all sorts of steps, alternating, high knees etc.
    But every 15-20 reps the rope will catch. Somewhere along the line the coordination between hands and feet gets messed up or a foot moves out of place (usually my left it seems).
    And I've no idea what I'm doing wrong. :(

6. ned

ned Valued Member

In my shed I've got inch ply on joists so hopefully that'll be fairly springy and comfortable underfoot.
    Reading the advice I think I'll get a decent rope-any suggestions to buy here online in the uk?

7. Ero-Sennin

A good semi-replacement for running with rope work would be to do interval training, 5 min round minimum and 30 sec breaks for at least 4-5 rounds (takes a bit to work up to). The best things to do are the high intensity type maneuvers like high knees, shallow split squats, speed skipping and doubleunders.

I would recommend getting to the point where your speed skipping (just normal skipping, but fast) can be maintained for at least a minute. A set up for a 5 min round would look something like: :30 sec light pace, :30 sec fast high knees, :30 sec speed skip, :30 sec light pace, :30 skip fast high knee, :30 sec speed skip etc. There are a multitude of interval set ups you could do though, that's just one example. You can also add in doing tricks in the routine where you do criss crosses really fast for :30 secs or something and that really helps your coordination and speed for maneuvers out and can be pretty exhausting.

If you can already skip rope you're miles ahead of the game, it's just practicing doing different things now. Always remember to push through whatever interval you're doing, I always felt like it was impossible to keep going at a certain pace sometimes but before I knew it I was using those fast paces (like speed skipping) as a recovery period and then doing something like fast high knees for a minute straight right afterwards. It feels really great when you start getting up there in rope skipping endurance :D

8. Ero-Sennin

This happens to me a lot when I don't focus on flexing my toes up, like you do with a front snap kick. Sometimes one arm is extended a little too far as well which causes the center part of the rope to be off center a bit and that will result in you snagging your toe as well. Getting in front of a mirror and watching to make sure your arms are extended at the same length and keeping your toes flexed up helps a ton in having correct technique so this doesn't happen. It also makes you realize your toes and shin muscles are in horrible condition : P

9. Ero-Sennin

Here in the states the fitness stores often have puzzle fitting matts for home use made of rubber. If you guys have the same thing in the UK it would be perfect for skipping rope outside or in a shed or home. All you need is a 2x2 foot area to skip, 4x4 if you want to have room to play. Skipping on a hard surface can be brutal.

10. flaming

flaming Valued Member

This is usefull for skipping correctly. He is coaching double unders but I find it hard skipping with out that back wobble with normal skipping. In another video I saw he did on skipping the heel is supposed to touch the floor each time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0km46DhNRc"]Jump rope jumping mechanics diagnosis - YouTube[/ame]

This shows some progressions.
    http://graycookmovement.com/?p=406

With running your producing force forwards and upwards so maybe kettle bell swings would be worth learning to do as well. And I think they have been found to help running.

I got a rope from a pound shop thats the same thickness as the cord coming out of my keyboard I think its good, it moves a lot quicker than the rope type.

11. ned

ned Valued Member

I think developing co-ordination/timing would be a major plus point for skipping.I like the idea of trying to develop a varied routine. Although I enjoy running it can be a bit of a chore especially in the dead of winter.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

*Looks forward to ned posting this kind of video*

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XckJkD4wQg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XckJkD4wQg[/ame]

13. ned

ned Valued Member

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Take a look at the second skipping video in this thread.

15. ned

ned Valued Member

good comprehensive advice. :hat: dennythetrainer clip is spot on!

16. Simon

Sports Direct is probably the best bet.

17. ned

ned Valued Member

they do a lonsdale 8ft rope-i guess you cut that to the appropriate length for your height,is there a way to measure the optimum length?

18. Simon

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym26.htm

If you have one foot in the middle of the rope, the handles should reach your armpits.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Buddy Lee does a comprehensive measurement test somewhere.
    Handles reaching armpit is pretty standard but a shorter rope will turn faster and more enable you to do all all the fancy stuff. Sprints, double unders etc

20. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

A proper sized rope should be enough if it can also turn fast. I also have a leather rope but it's really hard work (I guess having different resistance can work on some things). I've noticed Ross using wrist weights for added resistance. I prefer a good fast rope though.

It was Crossfit that got me into skipping, several WOD have double unders (which a lot of people can't do, but just takes practice). From some vids on the youtubes I have picked up to keep the shoulders down and back with a fairly tight core and elbows slightly down, the movement is more in the wrists, wave your arms about and you soon get the rope caught on the jump as it bounces off the floor and into your ankles. Other stuff I noticed watching Ross is crossovers he usually does a running step, unless as a double under (haven't quite got to that level...)