Skinny ******* Diet

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Gary, Jun 17, 2009.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

lol... ok go exist on algae and see how far it gets you as a human. :p

2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

From a physiological point of view we're omnivores. To get a complete amino acid profile from just vegetables is extremely difficult. Meat does not sit in your stomach for weeks, unless you're constipated food will take around 24 hours to travel through the gut. The only similarity to rotting that meat undergoes is that it's being digested by us and our chemicals, not microbes in the air or it's own chemicals. The fallacy becomes obvious when you consider how these medical professionals knew how old the meat in the gut was.

Before any major surgery you fast for 24 hours so that you wont have food in your gut, how they can not only recognise the exact meat and when it was ingested but then also distinguish between digestion of chewed food that's passed through the digestive tract from rotted food that's passed through is a mystery. It's pure propaganda.

We're omnivores, our entire physiology supports this.

Nonsense. How much 'stress hormone' (which one? Adrenalin, Cortisol, GH, Norepinephrine?) do you think is released whenever we've naturally hunted animals in the past 100,000 years? We can't digest these hormones orally even if we wanted to, the liver will break down the tiny amounts which may still reside in meat after cooking.

Healthy is not a matter of opinion, otherwise fast food chains wouldn't be so heavily restricted on how they advertise. I might feel that eating a kilo of jelly babies everyday is healthy but it doesn't make it true.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  3. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Coma's already covered it but I just wanted to stress this part. If you kill an animal in a slaughterhouse it'll suffer a hell of a lot less than if it's being chased by a hungry predator. Plus, going back to the "we've evolved to eat these things" argument again, our ancestors kills would have been flooded with these chemicals too so I'm going to presume that we've evolved digestions to handle this.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Can we all at least agree to post in the same font and colour please?

5. Omicron

Omicron is around.

A lot of this has already been covered by coma's excellent post, but I have a few things to add.

Evidence, please? Saying "I've seen it" is sadly not good enough proof in this type of inquiry. And just what do you mean by "toxicity"? The human digestive system is already extremely toxic by most standards; the gastric juices in the stomach can get as low as pH 0.7, which is EXTREMELY acidic. Just what is in this "rotting" meat that is toxic? And, if our saliva and extremely acidic gut enzymes can't break down the meat we eat, what is going to happen to the huge steak I had for dinner tonight? Is it with me for life? And yes, I was thinking about this thread while I ate it :p

By the way, all this inaccurate use of the word "rotten" is beginning to get tiresome.

I'm going to stop you right there. I'm not sure whether animals really do know they are about to be killed...I'd expect to see a lot more attempted escapes from slaughterhouses if animals were smart enough to perceive something like that. Still, making a moral argument against eating meat is much, much stronger than saying it's unhealthy. As I said, I used to be a vegetarian, and I was so for moral reasons. I did not believe it was right to kill animals for food in a modern age where we can obtain all the nutrition we need from non-meat sources (although with a great deal of difficulty). If you choose to be a vegetarian for this reason, I think you're making a more respectable argument.

Firstly, as has already been said, just what "stress hormone" do you mean? Can you please provide some exact names, as well as the physiological effects they have on the human body? I'd be especially interested to see how they manage to avoid being digested along with the rest of the food we eat, and how they are somehow directly absorbed into the body.

Secondly, your statement regarding the conditions we keep animals in prior to slaughter leads to a total non sequitur. For one thing, not all farms follow the same practices; it is possible, at least where I live, to buy meat produced from organic, "free range" meat farms that do not keep animals in such conditions. Yes, keeping large numbers of animals in close quarters with each other and with humans is a health risk, but I fail to see how this has anything at all to do with how healthy it is for us to eat meat. Bacteria and viruses grow and evolve just like everything else, and we've been trading diseases with animals since at least the beginning of the agricultural revolution. It's an unfortunate part of being alive on planet Earth. We share the planet with all sorts of other life, diseases included. They get passed from human to human, and, occasionally, from animal to human. This in no way affects our ability to healthily digest meat.

Yes, there are many changes that can and should be made to the way many farms treat, store, and slaughter animals. Again though, this thread is a discussion of the healthiness of a diet containing meat. The two are only very distantly related.

As has already been said, healthy is really not a matter of opinion. Some things are healthy, others are not. Everyone can make decisions on what they choose to eat, but whether or not these are healthy choices is not a subjective question. Everyone is welcome to his or her opinion, but some opinions are wrong.

I'm not really gonna touch this one, because getting into an argument about Karma would seriously derail this thread. Suffice it to say that you have a lot of proving to do if you're going to convince many people that it exists.

I'm glad we can have a civilized debate about this topic. Please don't take this the wrong way, but you do appear to be somewhat misinformed on many of the claims you have made. They either do not apply to the physiology behind the digestion of meat, or they are backed up by some fairly spurious reasoning and evidence.

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Primarily they are vegetarian, eating a variety of seagrass species. However, they have been known to eat small animals (probably by accident when it is attached to the plant matter they consume) and there is some anecdotal evidence that they will, very occasionally, eat small fish. However, millions of years of evolution have adapted them to live off a diet based solely on plant matter, the same is not true of humans.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  7. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

How do you think this "stress hormone" is transmitted around the body? Any hormone will be transmitted via the bloodstream, and it's not going to be in the body long as the slaughtered animal is exsanguinated.

Please go and read a biology textbook and go visit an abattoir that conforms to EU standards, and you'll find a bit more peace of mind from eating animal products.

8. Dhalsim-on

Dhalsim-on Banned Banned

So you really think that all the meat you buy is completely free of any blood?! That's simply not true my friend.

Also whilst it is true that the vast majority of hormones will be in the bloodstream, you also find hormones being shared cell to cell within the tissue itself, cell-specific reactions via ducts.

You DO find hormones in meat, though i'm not sure if you'd find cortisol and other stress hormones. The fact that hormones introduced to cattle can be found in some batches of meat was the reason growth hormones were banned from EU cattle in 1988.

I suggest being more cautious in your posts... though I could probably take my own advice there too! :)