Skinned knuckles - healing tips

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Llamageddon, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

After a particularly fun yet masochistic session, my knuckles on my left hand have come out slightly worse for wear. I've let them dry up, and made sure to keep moving them so they don't crack or anything. But after that does anyone know of any little techniques to help the healing process, or is it just a case of leaving them be?

2. path_one

path_one steps taken

moisturising cream and time

3. prowla

prowla Valued Member

TBH, I've generally put some antiseptic ointment on them, and let them do their own thing.

4. Llamageddon

Yeah, I put some savlon on, felt the sting, then went and had a hot shower. Just let the hand rest under the water for a while. Quite nice actually. Seems to have helped, although they're still feeling quite stiff

5. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I did a similar thing going mental on some focus pads a few years ago. After a few days, start putting vit E oil (or cream) on it. That should help the skin heal more quickly and reduce scarring.

6. Llamageddon

Focus pads - impressive!

7. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Cream is good but the most important thing for ensuring proper healing is not going back to training too soon. If you go back as soon as they become a bit less sore then you can skin them again very easily and it can take longer to heal.

8. hl1978

hl1978 Valued Member

I work on my car a lot so they get beat up a lot, other than time, I use some neosporin (my hands get exposed to all sorts of grease and fluids). Take some time off from contact training. The skin will toughen as well.

9. tone

tone Valued Member

i know i will get told off but i always used vinegar!!my uncle was a bare knuckle fighter and swore by it,i tried it once after going silly on a makiwara and worked for me though i dont doubt there are lots of reasons not to use it!!