Skill or Strength

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Judderman, Jul 7, 2004.

1. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

i find that size has very little to do with it,

i find that yes your spirit in the fight helps alot and your skill, however a majour factor i find is the COMBINATION of both fighters techniques, for example i can beat this guy who can beat the best fighter in my club however i cannot no matter how hard i try beat the best guy in my club. My fighting method, although i adapt My fighting method like everyone else, sometimes it is just too difficult to adapt to certain types of fighters. i cannot adapt to his style of fighting and teh guy that can beat him but not me cannot adapt to my style of fighting.

2. OBCT

OBCT New Member

LOL :D .

3. spooky

spooky Valued Member

SKILL or STRENGHT

I think both are good,and can work well together :rolleyes:

4. Jim Sorensen

Jim Sorensen Valued Member

Either you had an experience of an occassion, or are only saying this to make a point.

Size IS a factor, the laws of physics seem to disagree with you.

That is why, when you take two fighters with equal attributes, and change their size, the bigger one will most likely win.

5. Griff

Griff New Member

I agree whole heartedly, how do you define a winner in a real fight? I think in club scenarios are as real as you can get but in a real fight pain and threashold levels must play apart? Who ever is in most pain and gives up loses. If the little guy gets a good strike in first and takes the large guy over his pain threashold level he could probably hit him a few more times and win maybe. I still thing the bigger guy would win in most cases. Real fights are not evenly matched and the person who starts it must think they will win, so pre-emptive striking is then the way forward maybe

6. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

in a fight there are many factors, skill, strenghth, size, pain threshold, intelligence, reaction speed, i was just makeing anotehr point of what i think is a majour factor as no one has mentioned it yet.

7. mr_yaxley

mr_yaxley New Member

My fiancé and I are doing Loong Ying Kuen and Pak Mei...

My fiancé's not big, and not even particularlu muscly or anything, but it still hurts like a b***h if she hits me hard.

8. combat1974

combat1974 New Member

the argument over strength and technique is too complicated....but when people do a martial art and say they do not need strength as they have technique, i feel that straight away they are limiting their future development with a lazy attitude...it is always possible to improve your strength a great deal...and any martial artists who think it doesnt matter are kidding themselves....you have a set of tools...eg your hands, elbows, knees etc...all are attached to your delivery system...your body...so why wouldnt you want the strongest fittest you can be???

lol....my best mate is extremely fit and strong....a stupid **** girl we know (actually 3rd dan judo instructor...british champ at one point...was on tv in summer on itv's simply the best invited mate down to train....she knew all techniques, but she could not get him down....he simply grabbed hold and pinned her down like achild......

lol

9. combat1974

combat1974 New Member

lol...not all girls are stupid arses of course (dont wanna offend)...but she was because she had a bad attitude and compared going to a nice warm dojo twice a week instructing kids to do rolls and shouting 10 push ups...somehow prepared her to tackle strong guys....

had told him she'd go easy not to break anything....until she was picked up and placed down like a baby lol

10. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

That's exactly what I did. A friend of mine who's done karate not quite as long as I.... he's about 6'3, 250 lb, and incredibly strong. I'm about 5'10", 135 lb, and incredibly skinny. We've sparred, and I find his reach advantage is at least as big a deal as his power advantage (he has a good lead-leg roundhouse), and that speed and feinting were my biggest allies. The guys who really clobber me are usually little guys who just happen to have very good strike.
    On a curious note, once me and this friend were practicing left hooks on pads.... (we do a lot of clinch-work in our class). To our mutual surprise, even though he's twice my size, our hooks hit with nearly the same power.

From my experience, power is more a product of skill than size (though size sure helps). Again, in my experience, size comes into play more from reach and weight (I find it's almost impossible to sweep this guy, for example).

11. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

Strength and Skill go hand in hand. You can be as strong as you want but if you cant land your punch and get good contact then your strength is wasted. In grappling strength and size are an advantage but can also slow you down

12. combat1974

combat1974 New Member

yes i agree......im a small guy in our gym...but by far the hardest puncher...most the big guys are too stiff and are not able to generate speed and twist into their punches....i...on the other hand have always been around boxing, hitting punchbags etc since 5 years old....

Although i punch very hard...i do try to pressure test my techniques to make sure they can be applied in reality.....try the following routine...will give you an idea of the pressure testing...

1. have someone hold a pad for you...hit it as hard as you can with your mitt on
    2. Now hit it without the mitt on...(have to be more careful not to bend wrist back?)
    3. Now hit it from normal stand position...nt a boxing position
    4. Try it with a big restricting coat on
    5. Have the guy holding pad stare agressivley at you (it alters the scenario...makes you more uncomfortable
    6. Have the guy start shouting aggresivey at you as he holds it up...it gets a bit of mild adrenaline moving round body
    7. Have one guy hold pad and another guy also stand by him...have the two shouting and screaming at you and getting physical...eg pushing you.
    8. Have one guy free try to circle you (creates more confusion)

If you start at one...you can see that you gradually build up the stress, tension, noise, confusion....try it with noise in dojo..loud music....also try with poor lighting.........another thing to do finally....lol.......spin your self round 20-30 times to make yourself dizzy...(simulates being drunk in bar and having to defend yourself) and then try hit pad

You will find you are like ****....but what it does after time is it improves your decision making in tense situations....aggression therapy really helps!