"Size(or strength) matters not"

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Joshua Powell, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Yes, every partner drill is done light to mid/full contact depending on student/skill level.

He hooked one foot behind the attacker's leg and with his other kicked straight into it, locking and breaking it.
    This was confirmed by two of his friends that were there and by the trial that was followed by the event.
    He only has good use of his legs and that in only certain ways, his arms are not very usable.

If you learn how to redirect a person's attack so you offset and unbalance them, you can take control of them through locks/body positioning, they then can be used as a shield or weapon against further attackers.

When it comes to fighting multiples, only luck(or a gun if you get it out first) is the winner, that's a bad situation in any scenario.

As for what I've seen or experienced in said situations, read some of my other posts concerning such.

2. Light123

Light123 Give Up On Giving Up

Mei Hua has a point. My brother who is a genius researches all kinds of things, especially martial arts. His research shows that it only takes 8 pounds to break a knee when hit at the side.

Think about this analogy, a single bee can sting a person to death. Can you take anything out of that?

Sure a human can kill a bee in a single swat, but if the bee is "quick and smart" it probably wont even get hit.

it has happened to me before. 5 kids all stung up by one nasty bee.

3. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

...Sting Like A Bee

The original topic was "Size(or strength) matters not". I'm glad to hear that your student was adequately prepared to defend himself with the weapons that were available to him. I am also glad he had a bit of luck with him. Being skilled at redirection is a primary goal of most MAs. Possessing this skill does not negate a size or strength advantage. It simply gives you one more tool in the box to work with. What concerns me about the prevailing attitude on this thread is that we have people who are teaching others how to defend themselves saying such outlandish things as "size and strength don't matter if...". That is not only wrong, it's going to get one of your students hurt. There is no technique that will be 100% effective 100% of the time. To profess that you teach techniques that are 100% effective against any attacker is ludicrous. I hope that reality doesn't knock on your door with a lawsuit, injury, or some one's death some time soon. Yes some bees can sting many times, but it takes many, many stings to bring down the larger foe, and only one blow from the larger foe to kill the bee. This brings us back to...size and strength matter a great deal. I now return you to your regularly scheduled fantasy MA movie already in progress.

4. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

I never said they didn't matter completely, only not as much as people say.

I can honestly say I've taken down guys that are taller and outweigh me by anywhere from 50 to 100 lbs, skill, technique, learning how to use your entire body effectively often turn the tide.
    That in tune with will, determination and desire to win the fight also play a large factor.

There are many instances where size/strength do not decide the victor, but skill/technique do, when skill is balanced equally then size/strength matter more or vice versa.

5. Light123

Hey, listen...everything is a reality. If you say it's fantasy, you're also saying instructors are lying to disabled people, possibly to make them feel good/accepted. So, either way, they're probably hurt.

Besides, it all depends on the kind of strength. if it's body size, that is no indication of strength. People may not be as strong as they look. But if it's muscular strength, you know we all have muscles and they can be built up.

The 3 ninjas against Slater's fat bodyguard. how did they take him down? They hit his pressure points

6. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Eye To Eye

MH & TT - Your last two posts find us seeing eye to eye. Redirection skill is a natural result of good MA training. Pressure point striking is a highly specialized type of training that is effective after years of training and practice. It's all about keeping the proper perspective. Anyone who practices MA disabled or not, should know that there are no guaranteed techniques. No technique will be effective without the proper physical and mental conditioning to make it reflexive.

7. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I think it is down to a misinterpretation of Jigor Kano's minmum use of strength for maximum efficiency. Some try to say that techniques can be applied with no strength at all. As an aikidoka I still shudder at the nonsense that someone can be thrown with NO contact. It is the use of unnecesary strength that should be avoided.Use the amount of strength necessary to apply an effective technique. In this manner the most skilled and determined should prevail.

regards koyo

8. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Yeah, What He Said

Well said Koyo.

9. Joshua Powell

Joshua Powell A white knight

First thing, i'm sorry that this forum has created so much controversy, that was not my intention. Also, sombody said earlier that we as disabled people have to be realistic about what we want to achieve. If I were realistic as the world says I would not have been a martial artist for so many years, and achieved my black belt. I have to push myself, and sometimes that means that I have to be sometimes unrealistic about my achievments, and push myself more and more.

10. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

This no time to apologise - Joshua! This is a form of debate that quite frankly I enjoy watching :)

Very good arguments both sides folks...even the name calling is being ignored 'cos at least you guys have kept it within sensible realms and have made very intelligent posts. We (Mods) normally only come down on you when your doing something wrong, but this is something special. Excellent work guys...keep it up...

11. Light123

Argument is only necessary for this kinds thing.

12. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Apples & Oranges

As practicing martial artists, everyone in this discussion has pushed themselves past someone else's perception of what they can do. However, I feel that it is dangerous for any practitioner of a combat art to be over confident. As I said, there are no automatic techniques that will be effective 100% of the time. I am confident that I am strong in my upper body, punch like a freight train, and can take more punishment than the average bear, BooBoo. :) But I also know that in a real confrontation I am still at a greater disadvantage than the average guy because of my CP. In a real fight I'm going to get one, maybe two hits in before I'm knocked down. This reality is why I work very hard to make every punch I throw capable of knocking someone out. It's not the technique that wins a fight. It is how well the technique is applied. Anyone with a disability who trains MA should be sure that whatever techniques they learn are designed to be effective for them. MA study is a great thing, but it doesn't make anyone invincible...except for Chuck Norris. :D

13. Light123

The risk of "danger" leads to "discovery". Which means you have to experience a "real" fight before you can say "don't", "can't" or "won't".

Am I right, my dear friend Mei Hua? :D BentMonk? People? :D

14. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

I would agree.

15. Light123

"would"? :confused:

16. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Same thing as I do agree ;)

17. Light123

I thought you doubted somewhere. :D Ooh, I'm relieved! :D

18. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Nope, perhaps that's just the way that is used round these parts, but I did agree :)

19. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Now We're Talking

This is why I get so frustrated when people say that they do not spar, or at least train with genuine resistance. I have been in a real fight, and lost. This was well before I trained in MA, but the experience influenced how I approached my training. Most think I have lost the remainder of my mind, but I am currently working on demonstrating that disabled martial artists can handle themselves in the ring. The current barriers to this exist because of safety concerns. I say that we have just as much right to risk getting our butts kicked as anyone else. :D

20. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I had a GIANT at the club recently and attempting to throw him with techniques that would apply to others was just not on. He was too big,too heavy and most certainly did not want to fall.So my techniques were , for lack of a better word, disabled.!!!
    The ONLY way to throw or pin him was to "isolate a limb" while he was moving and sweep his foot or lock his wrist or elbow.
    Basic principle find a weekpoint and "work with what is available"!!!!

koyo