Six Arts Training Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Theme57, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Theme57

Theme57 Valued Member

Hey everyone,

Future posts won't be this long btw.

For about three months now I have been training in six (seven if you count MMA) martial arts at one academy. I take the classes Mon - Thursday which gets me 10 classes a week at 14 hours. What I train in is Savate, Kali, Silat, Jun Fan, BJJ, Muay Thai, and MMA. Typically for the BJJ, Savate, and Muay Thai classes we will have an instructor from another academy in Los Angeles train us. I will be starting a little training log since I tend to forget my overall progress as I become more experienced.

So at this point I have reached the three month mark and have been able to go four days in a row before taking three days of rest, usually relaxing in my apt complexes hot tub and swimming in the pool. Just recently some of my instructors have put me with newcomers to help them since they are starting to notice I know what I am doing. Including being a part of the demonstrations. When I first started I was extremely tense, used to much power and was a bit of a spaz when rolling. Now I am calm, relaxed and am beginning to have good energy during trapping and when rolling. I will update this weekly and go from there.

Thank you for taking the time to read!

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Fantastic mate! I remember (I think) you saying you were a big fella and were having some control issues in the class. Congrats for getting a handle on that so early! Sounds like you train in a quality gym and are making great progress. Kudos. Look forward to reading your log, dude.

3. Theme57

Theme57 Valued Member

Thanks Rider! I appreciate it, and you are correct. Not too long ago I was having control issues for being a big guy. What helped me is taking it slower, learning how to perform moves without much strength and most importantly, being able to stay relaxed.

4. Theme57

Theme57 Valued Member

Week 2:
    Less time training this week due to insufficient sleep and eating on my part (neglected eating enough). It's a pretty interesting feeling going from super duper energy to feeling gassed out after a basic muay thai four count. 6 classes rather than 10, but looking forward to this coming week!

On another note, some of the beginner students are trying to correct me on how to perform certain moves such as a spinning back kick. I find myself ignoring them since the Sifu/Kru/Guru/Professor's like to go by Lee's philosophy for the most part and want us to organically learn what works for us.

Overall, still enjoying it despite feeling at my lowest so far and don't see myself over training as long as I get enough sleep and food in me.

To anyone reading this, what is your experience with beginner students trying to correct, not suggest, a move despite only doing it 2 or 3 times?

5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Listen to them. Try it. See how it feels and call the coach over to check it out.

Sometimes people correct you and they don't know what they are on about and sometimes they do. Mostly I just nod politely then get clarification from the coach.