Singlestick Fighting

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Anarch, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

Has anyone ever studied singlestick fighting? I've been trying to look up the styles of fighting used by Scottish dating a few hundred years ago up until now and came across singlestick fighting, which is apparently very similar to fencing. Has anyone ever studied singlestick and if so, what kind of information can you provide as far as practicality, usefulness in SD, etc.?

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Am in royal armOuries library tomoro. Will check documents

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Don't know about the history of single stick fighting but it has probably got to be one of the oldest types of weapons fighting next to using rocks as weapons.

I could see how it could resemble fencing because the side of the body that is not holding the stick tends to be vulnerable to attack, particularly the leg or low line attack. At least by keeping the stick in front, it can be used more defensively against other weapons. First instinct for many is to bring the club back behind them to keep it from being taken away and to give more power with the striking with it. However, as I pointed out, if you do this, your opposite leg that is forward tends to be vulnerable to attack, IME.

From the self-defense training perspective, stick or club is used to attack joints with strikes and pressure points with the tips. If the enemy grabs your stick, unlike a blade, you cannot cut your way out of the grab, so this can be a problem... there are, however, joint lock techniques for such times as well as some kicks such as a shin/knee to the jaw line for the more agile folks.

There is some Bruce Lee single stick in the following clip. It probably is based off of fencing and I have no idea how historically accurate these types of movement would be... but it is fun to watch and gives and idea of single stick speed.

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO-mMfEbw2s"]Bruce Lee vs Dan Innosanto Deleted Scenes - YouTube[/ame]

Alternatively, you could look up "club" and there is a wide variety of use of club in combat. Some Native American styles as well as Hawaiian Lua are some examples of effective use with club, IMHO.

I would imagine something at the end of the stick, like a metal ball would make it a mace... that would be something else to look up.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  4. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

Pretty interesting stuff. I've been checking out a lot of 'unkown' arts lately or arts that just aren't popular since it's seems to be easier to study on my own time. Definitely will check out Hawaiin Lua, as you mentioned! :)

5. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yeah, I've done single-stick for about the last 8 years.

It's not useful for self-defence.

The Bear.

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I totally disagree, but then I would :)

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Morris Dancing uses single stick - possibly a retention of a fighting tradition I suppose....

Elsewhere have a look at "Battkefield Kali" with Burton Richardson - he is not only an original Dog Brother, his program has a specific single stick curriculum

8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Well in the event of the zombie apocalypse I'll change my mind.

The Bear.

9. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I believe traditional Irish fighting with the bata is valuable for self defence. It is not just based on technques from the sword but there is an axe influence as well.

10. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Well in the UK, you cannot carry a stick without a medical reason. So how do you defend yourself using singlestick when you have no stick? Also why would you want to wander around carrying a stick with you. If you do defend yourself with your stick and it comes out in court. Well have a nice time in prison. So unless you are in a region which permits the carrying of weapons then it's a bit pointless for self defence. However, it is still great fun and excellent general martial arts training.

The Bear.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

When I country walk I have a telescopic walking pole.
    Used it to shoo back some unruly cows the other week.
    So am I breaking the law carrying that because I don't really have any conditions?

12. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Well no because you are taking part in an activity that uses the pole. i.e. country walking but if you took the same pole with you to the pub in the city then yes you would be breaking the law.

The Bear.

13. Freeform

My single stick (Kali in my case) includes the mechanic of swinging, looking around my office I can see half a dozen things I can swing (not including the sticks and indian clubs under the desk).

The mechanic of swinging also improves your slapping ability. We can argue the merits of the empty hand verses the closed fist, but the ability to deliver the bitch slap from hell is not one I would trade lightly. I've dropped people with the slap through the Blauer SPEAR suits and concussed a couple of Bulletmen, I very rarely practice the slap but rely on the (essentially) overload training provided by swinging sticks.

Also, sparring/fighting single (or double) stick teaches you the ability to explode forward. Whilst this may have some value in the ring/cage, the ability to (as we say in DBMA) 'go nitrous' has plenty value in an SD scenario where you are covering distance and going through/over someone with your best shot (maybe a slap ;) ) to get to your family/out the door.

AND, with regards to single stick in the clinch and ground, the use of the weapon teaches you to monitor the 'three pinballs' of real clinch/ground:

Striking
    Grapple
    Weapon

Which, illustrates the difference between sport and reality grappling (in a classic side mount your closeness allows for an easier stabbing).

And that's just the start... ;)

14. Freeform

Rubbish. What happens if he gets the bus home from the country and gets off a stop eary to go to the pub?

The UK law isn't that simple. What if I'm carrying a baton (2 section snooker cue) to the pub in the city? Am I breaking the law then? (The correct answer is 'maybe', but it depends on intent).

15. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Freeform, you don't swing a single-stick. It is used almost exactly like a basket-hilted broadsword which is a cut by wrist rotation. It's not training like Doce Pares or DBMA.

There is no grappling or striking in single-stick. It is purely fencing style sport.

The Bear.

16. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yes unless you are off to or on your way back from a snooker match and can prove so. Let's be honest these are one off situations which will very rarely intersect with your self-defense requirements. So why bother training them as self-defence when in reality they are of little use. You will get far more effective training in MMA/Boxing or Muay Thai. I train in weapons because I like training in weapons but I am realistic about their practical value in a modern society.

The Bear.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  17. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Surely 'single stick' of one form or another is the oldest weapon known to man (either that or throwing / hitting with rocks). There must have been countless systems over the years. Likewise there have been many different approaches to using the stick, partly - but not wholly - based on size and weight.

Personally I like something of about walking stick length, but I think it pays to have experience of sticks of different weight and length.

Mike

18. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Single-stick as referenced by the OP is a specific art which is used as a training method and sport for baskethilted fencing. It is not a general fighting art and it wouldn't be trained as such.

The Bear.

19. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I never left home without a walking stick after my knee surgery. Obviously, there are potential legal issues. If one is in advanced years or has bad knees then it is a tool to get around with, with benefits.

20. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yes but the training given with singlestick won't greatly improve your chances. It's a sword simulator not a weapon in it's own right. It's delibrately designed not to cause massive amounts of damage because in the time period it was used in, you would just take your sword if you wanted to do real damage to someone. It just doesn't translate into effective self-defence training.

The Bear.