Simplifying MAP

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mitch, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

We've been thinking about simplifying MAP for years now, so I wanted to explain some of the thinking behind this, and invite suggestions from our community before we start the process.

I can't guarantee that all suggestions individuals may make will be acted upon, but likewise I'm not saying that the structure we move to will be the final structure either, so do feel free to add your thoughts.

MAP grew from humble beginnings into a site that catered for a wide variety of interests. We still want to be that place. Whatever art you train in, we're here "to bring people together for the purpose of the friendly exchange of information relating to the study of the Martial Arts and associated topics."

Of course, if you're going to claim big, you'd better have big proof, ain't nobody got time for no flim flam. :)

But you are as welcome here if your interest is Tai Chi as if it is Muay Thai.

As the site grew, it tried to accommodate all interests, and as a website, you have to appreciate the fact that it is run by martial artists who are also geeks. :D

upload_2019-3-23_0-24-10.png

These fine people added forums in the structure of folders/directories on a PC, resulting in sub forums, subdivisions (in the high school halls, in the shopping malls), and general refining to a fault.

When websites were browsed exclusively by PC this made sense. Apparently. Don't ask me, I like poetry and operate a keyboard via headbutts, but they made a good call at the time.

Now, however, the reality is that more than half of our traffic is from mobile devices, and a complex forum structure is not as easy to manage on a small screen. I personally always browse via New Posts, but many do not, and new users certainly do not, and do not really know where to put their first post.

So the intention is to merge a number of forums together, to greatly simplify the structure.

No content will be lost.

Everything will be kept, but several forums will be merged together. At the moment the intention is to keep almost all the style forums as separate forums, but merge many of the forums that come under Articles, General, Off Topic, Health and Fitness, Fun and Games etc into just a few forums.

This will hopefully make it much easier for newcomers to know where to post, and quicker for experienced users to browse.

It won't happen tomorrow, because this kind of thing needs to be tested and takes time to do, and it may happen in stages, so if you have any particular concerns or requests then now is the time to voice them so they can taken into account.

No, not those suggestions Chimp, that's just dirty.

If you follow or refer to particular threads often, make sure you have notifications etc switched on, then if they end up in an unfamiliar place, you will still be able to find them.

If you do have any comments or suggestions, please comment on this thread. :)

2. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I'm the only one on, and it's past 8 in the morning Greenwich time? Sorry, didn't account for daylight savings. It's almost 8am. What can MAP do to wake people up? That's a good thing to work towards, I think.

axelb likes this.
  3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Long overdue!
    Some of us have been up since 6.30 but have things to do! :)

Grond and axelb like this.
  4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

This sounds a great idea, I almost exclusively use a mobile device.

Notification isn't a bad idea, but I think that email does that sufficiently. I know Tapatalk app links with some forums, but I never got along with that interface.

It almost sounds like you were awoken by a dynamic organic alarm clock (mine went off about 6:30 also )

Mitch and David Harrison like this.
  5. David Harrison

6 months ago I'd still be in bed right now. :D

Grond, Mitch and axelb like this.
  6. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Good idea to simplify the structure, particularly so it will work well with mobile devices.

Do we have any insights into why people join, stay or leave MAP?

7. Mitch

Many are strong armed by Frodocious, some come for my famed good looks, but most come for some of your Monkey Magic, yeah baby!

Frodocious, Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.
  8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I propose renaming the Flexibility Subforum to Van Zandt Land.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Put the 'new posts' bit at the top of the home page and not right at the bottom!

10. Mitch

Erm, it is? Screenshot_20190323-160631_Samsung Internet.jpg

11. David Harrison

He means the actual list of recent posts, which are to the right on the desktop version but at the bottom of the mobile version.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Wot ee sed.

13. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

793EB1B0-5AAE-456C-B85F-3F63DA18D92B.png As I see it on my iPad

Mitch likes this.
  14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Never even noticed the little tab saying new posts before. I'm talking about the little box of topics right at the bottom that shows you what's being discussed lately. I think that should be at the top rather 'Chinese martial arts' as it is now.

Mitch likes this.
  15. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

simplification is fine, although I rarely access MAP from a mobile device, unless I am on vacation. I am not suggesting anything but my wife's website is designed with mobile devices in mind, because in all honesty most access the web these days from mobile devices. But it is also taking into account dinosaurs like me (surprising since I am an IT guy) who access the web mostly via a laptop or PC or Mac

Mitch likes this.
  16. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I've been here a long time and only access with a PC (I don't own a cell phone). But... I've seen traffic dwindle considerably so I would support some simplifying, maybe moving a lot of the subsections that don't get much (if any) traffic to "archives" and maybe combining sections (Like putting all the KMA in one area, all the JMA in one area, and the like).

I still love MAP and check it daily, but I think most conversation has moved to social media (like Facebook) where you can post what you want without moderators and only target your friends. :)

Mitch likes this.
  17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Right annoyingly, the site kicked me out and I wrote a lengthy post.
    So I'll try and remember what I said

MAP has gone through a streamlining a few times over the years. Forums bloat, new ones get added at the request of members - then not get used, etc. So it's good to go through these and evolve/adapt when and where MAP can. Mucho appreciatio to the staff here, who do all this voluntarily.

I did suggest years ago, maybe a MAPapp. As I presumed that majority of users will be accessing MAP via their phones/tablets/phablets. Although using MAP on my Samsung s9+ its still quite user friendly due to the big screen, but I still zoom in to get to the smaller buttons.
    Also maybe with other features like "notifications" for Personal Messages, Flagged/Followed threads (maybe reported posts for the MODs)

Grond, Smaug97, Monkey_Magic and 2 others like this.
  18. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Dumbing us down ...

About time too

Mirroring Mushroom thanks to all the staff

Monkey_Magic and Mitch like this.
  19. iolodunn

iolodunn Banned Banned

This is so amazing keep sharing post like this.

20. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

We'll leave the ban button where it is though, eh?

bassai and axelb like this.