Simple But Effective Self-defense Tips For Women Who Dont Attend Classes

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by agent, May 17, 2004.

1. agent

agent New Member

Hi all,
    Those who are experienced please submit basic and practical advice that can be easily digested and practiced by women reading this.

Ill start:

If you are grabbed from behind, rotate round and knee the assailant in the genitals. Being a male i can tell you that this is as painful as holding onto burning charcoal, except with the added element that it makes us feel extremely sick.
    A similar effect can be obtained if you smash, open-handed, the assailant's nose.
    If you swing the back of your elbow like a fist, you can deliver a powerful strike. This can be useful for defending against an attack from behind (which is probably most likely).

These are extremely effective techniques, and the best thing to do is to make them instinctive, by putting some time over daily to imagine various attack scenarios and practice these techniques.

Im keen to help; if you want any diagrams of techniques or further explanation, feel free to contact me at biketrialler15@hotmail.com

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... here is where I agree with you.

Women need to get themselves to actual Self Defense training classes rather than to read posted simple techniques or deciphering from simple diagrams. .... just my opinion :)

3. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Yeah. I don't think just some verbal tips are going to help you.

Unless you're oscar wilde, "Words no hit back."

4. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

I have to agree with HH and Kickchick. I think the primary defense of anyone faced with a suprise attack is a quick reflex. You just don't get the quick, strong response that comes from muscle memory from a book or post. If you have to hesitate to think about it, the chances are you'll either panic and forget your techniques or your window of safe responce will pass you by.

5. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Classes can better prepare you for the "what ifs." Like "what if the attacker has you to close to kick the groin?" Or "what if he has a nose/cojones/windpipe of steel?" Classes, especially realistic sparring, can help answer these problems so that if something that isn't in "the book" happens you don't stand there thinking "what now?"

6. blackbelt_judoj

blackbelt_judoj New Member

This sort of question makes me really angry. There are two many books/videos or even self defense classes out there that tell women (and men) that they will be able to fend off an attack by doing "A", "B" or a combination of the two.

This sort of thing gives women/men a false sense of security. When you see videos of people getting attacked there is very little that you can do. I'm a blackbelt and i think that if i was caught off guard by a surprise attack there is very little that i could do.

I know a woman that thought she was capable of defending herself because of "self defense classes", so when she got into a situation where she should of run, she stayed to fight. Luckily she didn't get too badly hurt because after she was hit a few times the other woman left her alone.

The point is that it takes YEARS for any training you do to be come a reflex action. It's no good going to these classes and coming back thinking you are Bruce Lee!!!

Angry :woo:

7. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Well then, she violated Skippy's Primary Law of Self Defense: The best way to avoid a fight, is to not get into a fight.

It was the responsibility of her instructor to stress that running/avoidance is always, always, always the first goal. Aside from that, I disagree, I think that a well-designed self defense program can give women the ability to defend themselves physically in a few classes. However, to master the movements, techniques, and tactics, would likely take longer.

8. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

I can't believe that you are judging all self defense programs because your friend made a poor choice. If she had an out, she should have taken it. Perhaps I am being too harsh and she was never told that the ultimate goal of the class should be to get away.

9. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Simple But Effective Self-defense Tips For Women Who Dont Attend Classes -----> Attend classes.

10. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

What is the secret to self-defence? Don't miss practice! :D

Apologies to Mr. Kano. :love:

11. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

The best advice is this:

1. Be aware at all times of your surroundings and how you are relating to them.
    2. If you have a bad feeling, then don't attempt to ignore it! LEAVE!
    3. NEVER, never, never go anywhere (even into another room) with someone you don't trust or know well.
    4. Get training

and my favorite

No matter what you think Agent, shots to the family jewels rarely (by themselves) result in incapacitation in any real conflict. End of story. Don't give anyone a false belief that a kick (by itself) to the crotch will stop (or even disrupt) anyone.

- Matt

12. agent

agent New Member

You'd better watch it.
    Oh yeh and 'JudoJ', the only reason you would never be able to survive a surprise attack is because you openly do not believe you can.

Sidekick, anyone..??

13. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

I agree with Hedgehogey and Yoda. The movement has to be natural to become a reflex. You have to be familiar with it. If you want to feel safe, get your **** in a dojo.