Simon's Slog

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Simon, Sep 21, 2011.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Simon, I already told you on FB, but I am hoping for the speediest and most complete recovery possible!

Hey, Normally, no cross posting, but can you make an exception and post the image or images of your injury on that post talking about punching glass on purpose? As a "training tool?":rolleyes:

2. ned

ned Valued Member

Sorry to hear about your accident, sounds nasty - wishing you a speedy recovery.

3. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

That sounds pretty horrible, best wishes for a full recovery.

4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Oh wow, i didn't realise you'd been through so much :(

Hoping you have a good recovery.

5. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Sorry to hear that. Get well, soon!

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Picture of the post surgery scar.

In spoilers, as not everyone will be comfortable with it.
    91285042_1404697183070434_8832275368602763264_o.jpg

axelb likes this.
  7. Simon

Well if @Frodocious can come back and post an update then I should really do the same.

The last pictures I posted were of my surgery after a severed artery and three severed tendons.

That healed nicely and isn't an issue any more. I did the correct physio and it really paid off.

When I started back (at home) with Eskrima all I could hold was an 18 inch cardboard tube from a tin foil pack, but it was a start and it got me moving. It must have only weighed in at an ounce or two, but it felt like so much more.

Jump forward to this year and training is going well.

I'm still part of Hannibal's HAVOC U and that is off the charts and going from strength to strength.

My own classes are quiet and I have now turned them into an invite only class. This will allow me to push my senior students a little more, rather than having to focus on holding them back due to new starters dropping in and out.

Part of that is because I have a new job and it's full on, so I haven't pushed the class as much as I could have done.

Part of it is because I spend a lot of time caring for my wife. For those that don't know she has long term health issues, including recovering from a stroke.

For my own training I joined a gym at the start of the year and that is going really well. Most of the time I'm office based and that starts at 08.00, so I'm in the gym at 06.00.

With my wife's health and the new job, training at the end of the day is harder, so currently the new routine works well.

I am following a body building type routine working generally in the 12 rep range.

One thing I have noticed at the gym is no-one is stretching.

I do get some looks when I put a bar at 6ft high and stick my leg on it.

upload_2023-3-26_13-57-24.gif

I'll see if I can get some pictures up soon.

hewho, axelb, Nachi and 1 other person like this.
  8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Really glad that you recovered from your fall. That looked really nasty.

Caring makes fitting in life so much more complicated. My training went to pot over the last 6 months or so because of having to come home and deal with getting my dad ready for tea and then bed. With his dementia it was a battle most nights. I'm just starting to get into a routine again. One thing I can say, is definitely do as much as you can to make time for yourself. It really helps with the mental health side of caring.

Your stretchiness puts me to shame! I need to get better at following my mobility routines! :)

Simon likes this.
  9. Simon

Hannibal has some great energy work programmes for those that seek it. Last year I worked really hard on understanding who I was and putting in the energy work.

This year I haven't done any where near enough and it's starting to show.

Just little cracks forming in my mental health that weren't there last year.

Luckily I am aware enough to recognise it and as I type I'm just about to do a short mental health session.

One reason for going back to the gym was that it was for me.

I have always done martial arts and I had progressed under Hannibal, but having to think about the students in class made it feel my own physical training was lacking, which it was.

The gym was just for me.

Just as I set aside days for physical training I need to get back to setting time aside for my mental health.

It's strange, as I have enough knowledge now to listen to others and see where they aren't mentally free. Little things they say and do, even if to them it's just a passing comment.

What I have stopped doing is listening to myself and catching things early.

Mitch and Frodocious like this.
  10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Definitely listen to yourself and make time to clear your head!

Of all the things I do (weights, running, riding etc), it's the riding that really helps my mental health because, for the time I'm on the horse, I have to be totally focused on that. They're big, unpredictable animals so a short lapse in concentration can end in disaster. I find with weights and running my mind can still lock onto the stressful things in life. It's a pity I can't afford my own horse, or more frequent lessons.