Simon's Slog

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Simon, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This won't be a training log listing loads of press up and crunches, as I find I have to train differently as I have got older, also my priorities have changed and I am looking to create a different type of energy now.

Although I still teach a martial arts class and am still looking to progress my own skill in certain areas, most of my own training is more geared towards Tai Chi.

I have to monitor my back, which after not being able to walk last year, now only aches and suffers from occasional stiffness. As long as I stretch regularly and rest well all is fine.

I have started jogging again and have made a concerted effort to lose some weight.

I weighed in at at around 230 a few weeks ago and currently weigh 217.
    There is no target in mind, we'll just see where we go bit by bit.

I am going to start to do a lot of work with the long pole, pretty much like as shown in this you tube clip.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y82fJFQzdGs"]Taiji and Xingyi Heavy Long pole shaking basics for power - YouTube[/ame]

I need to stretch more and add some leg strength work.

I will add more as things progress.

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Well, it's about darned time you got involved in this section! ;) :D

3. Simon

I thought I better dip my toe in the water, especially since H & F is my area. :cool:

4. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Love the title of the log, by the way.

paz,

dormindo

5. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Glad to see someone else close to my age in here too.

6. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I was wondering when the big guns were going to get here. I mean Frodo, Cosmic, Gary and Mikey are okay I guess, but they're all missing that certain je ne sais quoi

7. Frodocious

You're just jealous cause you're not one of the 'cool kids'! ;) :D

8. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Damn. Saw right through me.

9. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Alzheimer's? :D

Also one of those names doesn't have a log yet..

10. Simon

Nice run tonight for 30 minutes, so probably about 3 miles.

I needed a run to unmuddy my head after a hectic day and it felt really comfortable throughout, even had something left in the tank at the end.

I should warm up really, but I've always run the first mile slowly and warmed up on the go. Not the right way to do things, more of a habit.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I know it's not the fashionable thing to say, but I love how running is amost "meditative," lets me clear my head as you say. I don't often do the logical thought thing of "A=B" when thinking through problems of work, relationships, teaching etc etc, life just isn't that simple. I like to sort of let things sink in and coalesce for a while, ideas bumping into each other and finding connections. Running is an ideal time for that I reckon.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it :)

Mitch

12. Frodocious

I've heard a lot of competent runners say the same thing, I'm just not good enough to have ever experienced that meditative stage yet. I used to feel the same way sometimes after an iaido class and can 'zone out' when lifting weights.

13. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

This is from one of my favorite articles on karate. Its relating to kata, but I believe it is equally appropriate:

"Standing drenched in sweat and totally exhausted, he must realize that his physical efforts alone are of no value. He must find a way to go beyond that point and transcend his limitations. It is here that the ego must drop. Then instead of merely executing the movements, the student learns to emanate them in a more natural and relaxed manner with a non-egotistical state of mind."

http://seinenkai.com/articles/art-heshiki.html

14. Simon

Tai Chi lesson yesterday with the focus on sinking into the legs, so a nice leg workout with the added benefit if some balance drills.
    Taught eskrima tonight so very little exercise, as the focus was on going over some basics in readyness for a grading.
    A couple of days off now, with a run planned along the riverbank over the weekend.

15. Simon

Not done a lot this week, been working like a dog. Diet has been poor(ish). Birthday week though so that is my excuse.
    Anyway I missed Tai Chi tonight due to work, but made it to the pushing hands class afterwards. A good solid 30 minutes broken down into two minute drills.
    2 minutes on the pole (as in the video in the first post), then two man drill focusing on sinking into the legs and using mechanics to move the opponent rather than strength.
    Finished off doing some light pushing hands sparring with the instructor.

A nice sweat on and a nice short session to get the juices flowing.

16. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Its probably fate telling you you needed a break. You'll probably be on fire next week.

17. Simon

A whole body foam roller session going on tonight, as the back is stiffening up. This is caused by just not stretching enough and sitting all day.

IT band really needs some work and will also pay attention to the glutes, hams, quads and lower back.

Also kneeling down with one arm tucked under the body while rolling the anterior and medial deltoids is not sexy.
    Lucky for me the family is watching TV upstairs.

18. Frodocious

The IT band is one of my worst areas for foam rolling - it hurts muchly! Other tender spots are calves and lower back.

19. Simon

The lower back is a tender spot that I have to work around.

Although I would say I no longer have a back injury, it does ache and or is stiff most days. Just a section a few inches thick just above the belt line.
    I'm sure if I worked it more I would have less stiffness, just down to discipline I suppose.

20. Frodocious

That's exactly the way my lower back is too! I have to say that since I've been doing regular mobility work and a SMR things are loosening up and feeling healthier. I just wish money wasn't tight at the moment so I could get back to my monthly sports massages.