Silva vs Bonnen? (no spoilers please)

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Kuniku, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

Hi,

I'm recently playing catch up on missed UFC events. (home internet is barely faster than dial up so can't download it and I don't have access to ESPN to watch it on TV - usually a friend gets it and I watch it there, but we've struggled to both be free at the same time - so now we're trying to catch up with missed events)

We watched UFC 150 last night (although I think we missed 148 and 149 due to him not having them on him >_<) and I saw the 'trailer' for UFC 153: Silva vs Bonnen. And while I think I was aware of the fight happening at the time (I've avoided all results so please - no spoilers) I didn't realise until the trailer I saw last night that Silva had gone up a weight class to fight Bonnen.

Can someone explain why this fight happened? Has Silva run out of people to fight at his own weight class? Was he testing the waters for a LHW fight against Jones?

TL,DR - without spoilers of the fight results why did Silva Fight Bonnen?

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Bonnar. Not Bonnen. Bonnar was retiring and they needed a quick replacement (can't remember the original opponent) so Dana gave Bonnar a big fight and a big pay day to go out on

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I don't think you need to be psychic to know how that fight turned out.
    Spoilers or not. :)

4. Kuniku

sorry i wasn't sure if it was Bonnar or Bonnen, and didn't want to look it up in case I ended up seeing the results by accident >_<

thanks for the heads up!

5. Kuniku

damn you PASmith do you realise how hard it is not to click the spoiler tag >_< lol