Silat useless or misunderstood ?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Kuntaoist, Jan 30, 2013.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

And I firmly believe that the other participants in this thread have done an excellent job of explaining themselves thus far. Meaning that, if Taoizt hasn't come around to your way of thinking, it's likely a basic unwillingness to do so. Which is his right, regardless of how I personally feel about it.

Rather than try to argue him out of his position, I'd be more interested in seeing discussion between more receptive parties.

For instance, if one were to formulate a sparring format that WOULD answer the questions being posed for silat, what might it look like?

EDIT: "The other participants" included you. I hope that was clear, but it may not have been. Dig?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

At a basic level you could use something akin to the U-Drill, hubud or somesuch. this allows for freeforming whilst still working in a structure that emphasises technique.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

For my Kung Fu guys (which face it, has many of the same issues) I do a mix of the Pro Koushu rules (knees and elbows, throws, standing subs and limited groundwork (PK rules say 10 seconds, I may let it go a little longer if something interesting is happening) with an emphasis as PASmith says of viewing each engagement as a discrete event requiring an entry, a setup and a finish, and fixed condition force on force objective work.
    For training we do padded live drills and a fairly broad minded sticky hands (as well as padwork and forms obviously).

4. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

That's basically what we do. We do allow for freeforming but using the parts of the jurus. So lets say someone attack randomly or semi-randomly, you can try to work on the same technique but used in a different application.

If someone attacks strongly, position is key. Get out of the way and move in even with a random attack. Same what the jurus show. In the past that got me frustrated when i trained the karate. We used all kinds of fancy applications and then with sparring something completely different occurred.

The trick is I don't want to let the opponent get into HIS game, I want to play MY game.

5. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

This has been stated a few times in this thread already in various ways. He just keeps repeatedly ignoring it.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Precisely my point. That isn't going to change. So we either carry on talking to one another or we walk away. Because this particular interaction is like a Plymouth Horizon with two flat tires. Going nowhere fast.

7. Hannibal

That is "101 training" in my game

8. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

This is what most traditional styles do, at first. They drill their techniques until they become mechanically correct and it becomes reflex to use them. Then they start to spar.

Is this your way of telling us you're still just a begginer? cause if so then you are absolutely correct. You shouldn't be sparring at all, yet! You're just not ready for it. On the other hand if you have sufficient time in your art and you're refusing to spar then you are just greatly limiting your progress.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Just to be clear, guys, what I said above is NOT an official moderation. As the moderator for the silat forum, it's my job to safeguard the terms of service. NOBODY has done anything here to raise my concerns about ToS. So what I said was merely a suggestion. Take it or leave it. Dig?

Carry on. Thanks everyone.

10. Ben Gash CLF

I also like the Dog Brothers thing where they roll with knives in their waistbands. Certainly cuts down on guard stalling :D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  11. Ben Gash CLF

That's what gets really annoying with this type of thread, people go on about fundamental ideas as if they're some advanced concept.

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Exactly. If I were formulating a sparring format for FMA or silat, I would look for headgear that protected the neck and eyes and training weapons that could be employed in sparring. I've recently sparred with training kerambits, and many lessons were learned.

I'd love to see a sparring format where weapons were employed, but empty hand was also on the table, so that as weapons are lost or disarmed, the session could carry on seamlessly.

This wouldn't necessarily be a faithful simulation of a real situation. But I do think it would help to develop that flowing mindset that we're always on about.

13. Hannibal

We operate on a descending basis for one of our sparring drills. Both start siniwali and any defang is a sign that weapon is lost. You can then transition to esapada y daga and continue

Stick->knife->palm stick->empty hand is the hierachy, with any potential combination thereof being in play.

If you end up empty hand against siniwali you have problems!

Head and leg shots are in play, but full power to the head not encocuraged without headgear for obvious reasons

14. Ben Gash CLF

Like this?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz1V6qhIw08"]Kali Tudo- Lonely Dog.flv - YouTube[/ame]

15. Ben Gash CLF

Space helmet, MMA training gloves, shin/insteps, foam stick, rubber knife, jobs a goodun.

16. Hannibal

Lonely Dog is a machine!! He gave Top Dog a damn good run for his money!

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Amen. That's essentially the kit I came up with too. Not the space helmet specifically. ;)

18. Hannibal

Although I do not insist on it per se, we pretty much use rattan all the time simply because it keeps us "honest"

The fencing mask is the industry standard, but I also use this -

[​IMG]

You know you have been hit, but nothing is broken!

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I have one of those old FIST helmets myself.

20. Hannibal

They get really sweaty really quick! I have one too though!