Silat Training

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Orang Jawa, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

Pencak Silat, an art clouded in mystery and secrets, all to often a victim of sensation-seeking individuals, is a much misinterpreted art. Usually explanation of its principles are OVER-SIMPLIFIED into meaningless and, consenquently, much that lies within the deeper levels is overlooked or misunderstood. Through proper Silat training, individuals may progress to previously unattainable heights, developing a controlled interaction of the mind and the body along the way.

Within real "Silat", as shown by its various gurus, is a system of moving, bodily meditation, producing an integrated and creative personality. When the body is strong and capable, a sense of well-being and confidence pervades within it to induce a state of calmness and tranquality. This tranquality is a very difficult state to attain, and in the struggle of its realization, many phases of self-understanding are passed through.

Throughout our life, we must continually to refine our approach and the execution of our techniques. This is quite natural because Silat techniques are not, as many mistakenly believe, kata-fixed form that had been handed down from the past and must be preserved unaltered-but 'living'
    infinitely varied responses to particular situation. Therefore, every generation of diciples was to exposed to different type of Silat, and within each generation each student had his or her own interpretations reflecting individual levels of progress, attitude, and extent of spiritual insight.

In my five decades of Silat training. I have tried to faithfully preserve the essence of what I have learned from my guru. Yet the way I express that essence in my techniques has changed as my understanding of my guru's message had deepened. Because the scope of that message is so vast and the forms in which it was expressed so great, no one can confidently state that a particular style is the REAL silat or that there is a single Silat standard. There can never be rigid uniformity in Silat, but we must guard against totally ignoring the founder's message to set up pseudo-Silat based on personal quirks. If we keep the spirit of the founder in our hearts and train sincerely, surely the Way of Harmony will open for us.
    Tristan