Silat Suffian Bela Diri

Discussion in 'Silat' started by OldNick, Dec 4, 2007.

1. wkclark2009

wkclark2009 Valued Member

Your right, he makes it looks effortless. Our seminar lasted 9 hours and we have another one coming up at our location in October. I think next time I'll bring some forearm pads, 9 hours of slamming wrists and arms takes its toll.

2. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

I know what you mean, after 3 hours the forearms were hurting, never mind 9. Did he tell you the story about his reflexes and the old lady on the bus, if not ask him about it next time, we all thought it was hysterical.

3. wkclark2009

No he didnt mention that story to us. I'll have to ask him about that in October.

4. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

It's called silat sunburn:) Now you know why some pesilat can smash coconuts with their forearms....but ouch, 9 hours of belting bones against bones is pretty hardcore.

If only! I wish I could but life gets in the way. I'm hoping to make the one after & perhaps tie it in with a few days camping & surfing in the Mumbles.

Yeah, I thought we were stopping for a mid seminar break, but we were 4 hours in and finished:confused::)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  5. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Can't beat the Mumbles, i'm not a surfer but if you are down that way Llangennith is where all the surfers seem to go, stayed in the camp site a few years ago, surfboards everywhere. Theres a steep hill though to get to the pub!!!!, ok for rolling back down to the campsite at the end of the night though.

6. Raden-Rahmat

Raden-Rahmat Valued Member

u guys in UK are so priveledged

the best i can get is to watch youtubes clips of Suffian Beladiri...really as some ppl have said, so natural and fluid...he really does have the essence of Silat movement in him...is there no way he could come to SA??? else i will make drastci changes to collect this knowledge for my ppl...(oh thats threatening enough to get some subservience)

7. wkclark2009

Email him directly and see if he would be willing to do a seminar at your location in S.A. maul565@hotmail.com

8. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Trained with him today, again what can i say - awesome.
    WKClark he told me he had trained with you the other day, said you were all feeling it at the end!!!!
    Raden i would try emailing him, he travels the world so i'm sure if he can get enough interest S.A. wouldn't be out of his limits, the worst he can say is no!

9. wkclark2009

Alun said it was a great seminar. Im looking forward to training with him again in October.

10. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

WKCLARK, how did the course go yesterday with Alun? Hope you enjoyed it.

11. wkclark2009

It went great, we had a turnout of 10 people which is more than I expected because of the hurricane here but I think everyone had a good time, the techniques were very 'street' effective which is something I focus on in my own system. In all I think Alun's first seminar was a success.
    The weather put a damper on his vacation plans but I plan on meeting up with him sometime before he leaves. Hopefully on his next vacation the weather will cooperate.

12. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Glad you enjoyed it, it is a terrible shame about the weather, bad time of year for Al to book his hols(hurricane season), then again he's not missing alot over here, rain all the time(although today is forecast to be dry, believe it when i see it!!!)

13. wkclark2009

Thought you might want to see the write up in the WalesOnline paper.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sports...4/martial-arts-off-to-florida-91466-21512153/

14. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Thanks for that, nice write up.

15. Schoolboy

Schoolboy New Member

Hi Bill, Just a note of thanks again for hosting me in the US recently - Really enjoyed it

Please say Hi to all the Guys

Hope to be back soon!
    Alun

16. wkclark2009

Alun,

It was great having you, everyone enjoyed the training. We hope to see you again when the weather is more cooperative.

Take care,
    Bill

17. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Reminder for anybody willing to travel to (or lives near London) Alun is doing a 4 hour course in Kilburn on 14 September, 11 - 3.00pm More details on the website - www.totalbodydefence.com

18. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Just curious, no offence intended, but on the website it doesn't say the history of the style, where it came from etc..just the history of Bruneian martial arts. Does anybody know the style?............I know other silat practitioners will tell you how their style developed .such as with Serak, or Cimande.I see he does Aiki jutsu.which looked a lot like aikido to me, and also Kuntao.and he used a wooden dummy for that.lots of familiar stuff to me.

19. wkclark2009

Here's a link from Mornie's blogspot that may help: http://silat-suffian.blogspot.com/2007/09/silat-suffian-bela-diri.html

I study AikiJitsu under Joe Morejon, Mornie is one of his instructors. The system combines Judo, Aikido and JuJitsu (Japanese and Machado BJJ) and recently Suffian Silat.

From what Mornie has told us the system is a blend from the neighboring Silat systems and was refined when fighting against the Japanese in WWII.

Hope that helps.

20. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Thats what he told us as well, it was used by his grandfather in the second world war, when they had to go out at night to find food, often encountering Japanese soldiers and others out to get what they could, the system was passed on to Mauls father and then onto him.