Silat sayings/teachings?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Kertas, May 13, 2006.

1. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Pencak Silat - It's not something you eat with peanut sauce!

2. Steve Perry

Steve Perry Valued Member

Silat Sauce

I think I have the T-shirt, somewhere.

Also like the other one I have: "Pukulan Pentjak Silat Serak -- If you you have to ask, you don't need to know ..."

3. tellner

tellner Valued Member

So do we, and thank you for printing them up for us. I should have attributed the quote to you.

4. IndraMuda

IndraMuda Valued Member

" A Pendekar should knows and understand that he will only DIE and Live Twice "

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  5. Bobster

Bobster Valued Member

"Slower will get you there faster"

Pendekar Herman Suwanda

6. Bobster

Bobster Valued Member

The movement of your students will reflect on you, as the teacher. When you teach this (Silat), any neglect or holding back information will be apparent to other Pendekar, and your name will be no good. Anything you don't pass on will be lost. Don't embarrass me!

Pendekar Herman Suwanda

7. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

Its simple!
    Tristan

8. tellner

tellner Valued Member

"Move less, see more" - Stevan Plinck

"Practice fast, learn slow. Practice slow, learn fast." - Ramon Martinez talking about fencing, but just as applicable to Silat

9. tim_stl

tim_stl Valued Member

"Silat is easy, but hard... easy for me, but hard for you."

-Herman Suwanda

10. rizal

rizal Valued Member

"Pakai Telapak, Jangan Tinju"
    transliteration: open your hands, don't form a fist
    Meaning:
    1. when fighting, open your hands. It makes your fighting more flexible.
    2. Open your mind, don't close it.

11. Kertas

Kertas Valued Member

i definitely have learnt some good stuff through this post.. thanx guys. i like the One.. "dont do things just because you can hehe"

12. Saiful Azraq

Saiful Azraq Valued Member

Melayu Proverbs on Silat

Salam hormat,

Here is an article quoted from http://silat-melayu.blogspot.com/2007/11/melayu-proverbs-on-silat.html

---

Proverbs in Bahasa Melayu touch upon various aspects of Melayu culture. Thus, it isn't surprising to find that quite a few of them relate to silat, either as a physical method of combat, or a total guiding philosophy underlying the actions of every Melayu.

In some of these proverbs, we recognise the influence of Islam, in others, the intuitive Melayu mind capturing universal truth. I hope this will be the first in a series of proverbs posted here. I'll try to find more for you to read. Enjoy!

"Gayung bersambut, kata berjawab"
    Meaning: An attack parried, a word replied; good begets good, evil begets evil.

"Gayung tua, gayung memutus"
    Meaning: Words of the wise are normally the right ones.

"Orang bergayung sama pandai, sama bak kundi atas dulang"
    Meaning: Both highly skilled; both warriors.

"Bersilat kepada si buta"
    Lit: Performing silat for the blind.
    Meaning: Showing your skills for those who can't appreciate it.

"Cakak sudah, silat teringat"
    Lit: Silat recalled after the fight.
    Meaning: After the matter has been settled, then come the complaints.

"Pendekar elak jauh"
    Meaning: A person who is very careful.

"Tidak ada pendekar yang tak bulus, tak ada juara yang tak kalah"
    Meaning: No pendekar has never missed, no champion has never lost.

"Bagai gembala diberi keris"
    Lit: As a shepherd given a keris.
    Meaning: A useless gift.

"Berapa panjang sarung begitulah kerisnya"
    Lit: Long as the sheath is, so too is the keris.
    Meaning: Doing something within one's own limits.

"Berkeras tidak berkeris"
    Meaning: Taking tough action but with no strength to defend oneself.

"Hujan emas perak di negeri orang; hujan keris lembing di negeri kita; baik juga di negeri kita"
    Lit: Though it rains gold and silver in another land; and rains kerises and spears in ours, better be our own land.
    Meaning: No matter how rich and prosperous another country is, your homeland is where you belong.

"Jangan menghulurkan hulu keris ke tangan orang"
    Lit: Never offer the hilt of your keris to another hand (Note: This is an actual taboo of silat, to avoid giving a keris hilt first, because the blade will naturally point to the giver, allowing a potential foe to draw the weapon and stab him).
    Meaning: Never give power to another, he will destroy you.

"Keris panjang berkeluk, ke mana bawa ke mana olok"
    Meaning: A person who can be used for any purpose.

"Keris pedang tiada tajam, lebih tajam mulut manusia"
    Meaning: Words are sharper than weapons.

"Keris tersisip di dinding, pedang tajam dalam sarungnya"
    Lit: Keris hanging on the wall, a sharp sword kept in its scabbard.
    Meaning: Foolish actions.

"Menyisip keris tak bersarung di pinggang"
    Lit: Keeping an unsheated keris at your side.
    Meaning: Raising a child without providing knowledge will eventually trouble his parents.

"Patah lidah alamat 'kan kalah, patah keris alamat 'kan mati"
    Lit: A broken tongue means loss, a broken keris means death.
    Meaning: When the tools are gone, the task will never be completed.

"Sebagai bujang baru berkeris"
    Lit: A bachelor gaining a keris.
    Meaning: Exceeding arrogance due to recent wealth.

"Seperti keris yang tak payah diasami lagi"
    Lit: A keris no longer needing lime.
    Meaning: Highly skilled and needing no further instruction.

"Tajam lidah manusia melebihi tuntung keris"
    Lit: A man's tongue is sharper than a keris.

"Tembaga menunjukkan senam, besi menunjukkan karat, keris menunjukkan pamur, manikam menunjukkan cahaya"
    Lit: Copper shows its gleam, iron shows its rust, keris show their pamur, jewels show their shine.
    Meaning: Everyone has visible indications of their good or evil.

"Tiada dapat dua keris di dalam satu sarung"
    Lit: No two kerises in one sheath.
    Meaning: It is impossible for one woman to have two husbands at one time.

"Habis hulubalang bersiak"
    Meaning: When there is no one to rule, then one has to do the work oneself.

Source: Dewan Bahasa Dan Pustaka

Salam persilatan,

13. Raden-Rahmat

Raden-Rahmat Valued Member

silat the way of life

just looking at these sayings...u understand just i thought ...that Silat was not meant just for survival, at least when tasawwuf tocuhed it, it has far more deeper implications for humanity and especially the melayu who appreciates his/her culture and wise elders. Silat truly meant to aspire us humans from just living our own fantasy to support the aspirations of humanity at large...the Standard Bearer of the Divine Order or in arabic "khaleefatullah alal Ardh"....vicegerent of Allah on this earth....

Silat really has the teachings of tasawwuf undeniably

14. Kertas

Kertas Valued Member

Wisdom

Salam Hormat... Kasie 4 those wise words Saiful. Just to couple your last saying with a quote from the most wise amongst men. You said "habis hulubalang bersiak".. "God does not take away knowledge by removing (uprooting) it frm the people,but he removes it by taking away the learned,until he leaves no Learned,and people will appoint at the head of their affairs the ignorant,who will give answers without having the necessary knowledge; they are astray and are leading others astray." (agreed upon by bukhari & muslim). We can witness this striking truth in many faculties of our communities today! And to couple this with a very known saying of the wise of the past "whoever has no teacher,satan wil teach him".. And a last one.. "whoever says "IM A guru", he is ignorant!"

15. Kertas

Kertas Valued Member

Wait wait.. I forgot these wise words..1.the ignorant is dead even while walking on earth,he is thought to be alive,but due to his ignorance he does not exist" 2.you wil never gain ANY knowledge unless six requirements r found in you. INTELLIGENCE;EAGERNESS;DESIRE;DILIGENCE/EFFORT;SUFFICIENCY;the COMPANIONSHIP OF A GOOD AND HONEST TEACHER; and ALOT OF TIME :) The 10 fundamental principals of any science are:1.its definition 2.its subject matter 3.its benefits 4.its cases/reality 5.its name 6.from where it is derived 7.what its legal/religious ruling on it is 8.its relation to other sciences 9.its virtues 10. Its authors (who introduced the subject) :)

16. Raden-Rahmat

talk about it

seems those fundamentals must be studied by those who think its not necessary to study an art in its full glory... especially those who think that you can disect it and take what you want because you fell it pertinent to you. well, those fundamentals tell me that everything about any subject/science must be studied in order to appreciate it and be able to progress in it...since it will not be made known to you in its full glory if you have not given to it its full glory....

i like this saying i heard and i mght be slightly wrong but i heard "when you search for knowledge, you should empty yourself...doing this you will be filled by the science...and drink as much as you can as there is nothing worse than the person who seeks knowledge but does not taste its fruits"...

thats in my words but thats what it should read. interesting are the change of events

17. Kertas

Kertas Valued Member

some of those quotres i extracted from Sheikh Ameen fakir's Kitab (Al-Bustaan). they pertain to knowledge of Fiqh, but i find the useful in the application of any science.

18. Raden-Rahmat

u r drowning lol

looks like the wisdom of that Sheikh and his knowledge is getting the better of you. think i should touch onto some books too. im going to revive my silatturahim with Ustaz Yunus...renew my studenthood

19. Saiful Azraq

Saiful Azraq Valued Member

Salam hormat Kertas ya akhi,

I quote here a pantun given to me by Ustaz Saiful Muhammad of Silat Telapak Nusantara (http://senisilat.net) which means the exact same thing as the quote above:

Syarat Ilmu 6 Perkara,
    Ku Khabarkan Nyata & Terang,
    Cerdik, Loba, Sabar, Berbelanja
    Nasihat Ustaz, Masanya Panjang

It roughly translates as:

The Conditions Of Knowledge Are 6,
    I State It Openly & Clearly,
    Intelligence, Greed, Persistence, Expenditure,
    A Teacher's Words, A Length of Time.

(By the way, you said six, I counted seven in yours)

Salam persilatan,

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  20. Kertas

Kertas Valued Member

Salam..

sorry, Eagerness and desire is 1 quality, sorry about that :)