Silat in the movies

Discussion in 'Silat' started by ICT, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Zealot

Zealot Valued Member

The movies I have seen which are mentioned here are Kickboxer 4,Hawk's Vengeance,Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon,Ong Bak,Rapid Fire,Glimmer Man,and Out for Justice.
    None of them had any substantial Silat sequences.They were brief and few.
    I used to be a fan of the Kickboxer franchise,but not anymore.
    Hawk's Vengeance looked like It was filmed entirely in the same abandoned warehouse;it probably was.
    Ong Bak and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon were the only movies I'd recommend because in every sense they are good flicks.

2. sulaiman

sulaiman Valued Member

3. Jebat

Jebat Valued Member

Pak Ariffin.....

:) Assalam Mualaikum Sulaiman,

Pak Ariffin did well there, very good stuff. Too bad about the rest of the movie. The pretentiousness of taking the story somewhere else before even ever having told the story in the first place is totally beyond me. He was the pirate head? I didn't realize. I hope the sequel(?) will be made with in their minds all the bad critique they've had from everybody who has seen the movie. BAsically what I've heard from people is that they would like to see the whole story with everybody involved. But filmed in a modern way like they have done with the existing movie. It will be a big blockbuster, the first in Malay history and will sell all over the globe. But somehow I'm not optimistic. Anyways tell Pak Ariffin to make sure he's involved. And next time maybe make more offa fuzz about it when it comes to media matters. If the film makers can't make it a legend, then I'm sure that at least within martial arts circles Pak Ariffin can. Inshallah.......

Salam,
    Jebat

4. sulaiman

sulaiman Valued Member

salaams jebat,
    yes , we live in hope. It is a source of constant surprise to me that the film industry has not cottoned onto the amazing cinematic potential of silat.A film that cast a variety of silat styles , showcasing the particular flavour of each would just blow audiences away, combine that with the rich narrative tradition , history and mythology of the malay peoples and you have a certain recipe for success.

Any producers out there we have scripts , production crews and actors !
    salaams
    sulaiman

5. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Hi Jebat. Please post any more that you find. "Puteri Gunung Ledang" looks absolutely visually stunning. Too bad they did the Hong Kong wire work in parts. A lot of us will be inteested in anything else you can find. Thanks. Cheers.

6. rizal

rizal Valued Member

i also remember that Malaysia once produced a TV series of silat. I think it is called "Pendekar". A very good one in my opinion, unlike previous Indonesia's 'legend' sagas which mostly karate/TKD (although current crop is getting better).

7. CQC

CQC Arsenal Gear's A.I

There were two major self defense series that was produced during the early 90's as far as I know. Both series were known as "Gelanggang" and "Mahaguru".
    Although both series were no longer on air but I think you can stil find the video though.

8. silek

silek New Member

Mahaguru series were directed by Jak Othman and he had done MA documentaries for ASTRO too.

In the 1990's, there were two very good silat series namely Pendekar Kundor and Keris Hitam Bersepoh Emas and the silat fightings were chereographed by Ku Ahmad Ku Mustafa (now teaches Silat Tok Ku). The actors among others were Eman Manan, Ebby Yus, Latif Borgiba and Nasir Ali. Due to the popularity of the two series, there was a new series called Pendekar (if my memory serves me right) with starred by Ruzaidi Abdul Rahman but was criticised because the silat chereography was influenced by Kung Fu with everybody seemed to be flying etc.

I think Ku Ahmad also chereographed silat in the Malay movies namely Abang, Pemburu, Matinya Seorang Patriot in 1980's.

Few other good Malaysian silat movies in 1980's are Anak Sulong Tujuh Keturunan, Sumpah Di Bumi Merekah, Ribut Di Hujung Senja and Loceng Maut.

In 1990's if I can recalled correctly, there was no silat movie in Malaysia except perhaps Raja Melewar which is quite good too.

With regard to Indonesia movies, I remember well Barry Prima and George Rudy's movies but I doubt those were real silat. Perhaps the Indonesians in this forum can explain.

9. Kiai Carita

Kiai Carita Banned Banned

Peace to all,

I happen to know Barry Prima. He did karate and body building and no silat.

Warm salaams,
    Kiai Carita.

10. resmi padi

resmi padi New Member

Tembung telemovie

Hi all,
    If I'm not mistaken, the malaysian martial arts magazine Seni Beladiri mentioned something about a telemovie called Tembung (i think that's the title) sometime around a year ago. they said it is a movie with lots of silat elements. has anyone watched it yet? i tried searching for the vcd but cant find one.
    btw, i'm new here. i've trained in gayong malaysia, gayong pusaka as well as cekak hanafi. but my training was not consistent as i kept moving around. hope to share lots of knowledge with you guys!

11. tellner

tellner Valued Member

I got a copy of the movie a couple weeks ago. It's visually impressive. I liked the sensibilities, the acting, the story, the background and the Silat (what little there was of it). It wasn't the movie I was expecting, and they should never have hired the Hong Kong crew, but it was a darned good film.

12. sulaiman

sulaiman Valued Member

more silat in the movies

salaams all,
    Just watched Blade Trinity with Wesley Snipes and was very surprised to see a scene with the female protagonist ( i forgot the actresses name ) doing what looked remarkably like some Buah from Pak Herman Suwandas Mande Muda - course they could be cimande buah ,I dont know , but I saw Pak Herman give a demo once with the same moves - check it out - its the scene where the girl gets jumped by the vampires on the metro - she goes to ground and does what we in silat melayu would call anak hari mau moves , not bad either.
    ciao
    sulaiman

13. CQC

CQC Arsenal Gear's A.I

The rolling isn't it?

14. sulaiman

sulaiman Valued Member

yeah - lots of knee kicks from a duduk harimau position - 1 knee on the ground, also an entry to swing underneath the opponents legs and `disconnect the battery´
    She also had boot knives - which I have heard about in silat melayu but not yet encountered - blades for the feet rather than the boot though.
    ciao
    sulaiman

15. moe389

moe389 Valued Member

I just saw a movie called blade boxer with cass magda in it. Not a top dollar movie but their was some sarong technics in a couple fight scenes as well as a pueter kepala to a nice arm break, also some knife and stick stuff but not as much as you would like coming from a movie called blade boxer.

thanx moe389

16. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Any more info on these Silek or CQC? It would be very much appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  17. AnakMurid

AnakMurid New Member

Classic films with Silat

Hi

I recommend the following classic films, which show 'Silat' in the context of historical Malay legends. Unfortunately, only in black and white, though:

"Selandang Delima"
    There is a Keris fight in this film and some tough looking training sequences with Tok Guru. They looked like they were really going for eachother. Although most of the fights are stand up, there is some stuff that goes to ground.

"Tun Fatimah"
    Great to see the fearless woman warrior defeating the Mat Saleh Portugese conquistadores in this one!

"Dong Anom"
    I have not yet watched this one yet, but I am sure its good!

I am sure it must be possible to get these on the internet, in VCD format, which should be good for most DVD players. They play in mine, which is region 2, PAL format.

As I am only a baby I cannot tell you anything about what style of Silat is used in these movies, but worth a look if you can get hold of them.

18. tellner

tellner Valued Member

If you can find a source for them on DVD or VCD I'd be very interested. Region doesn't really matter; region-free players are available.

19. AnakMurid

AnakMurid New Member

20. AnakMurid

AnakMurid New Member

Hi To anyone interested in exploring Silat in the context of classic films depicting historical Malay figures.

I have tracked a supplier someone who can supply these fiims and post to any country. Youl will have to send postal orders in the post.

http://www.felix-entertainment.com