Silat in Chicago?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by ponlaluz, Mar 17, 2014.

1. ponlaluz

ponlaluz New Member

I am interested in learning about Silat, it looks like an incredibly street-practical martial art. I am having trouble finding a teacher in Chicago, are there even any?

2. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Check out the midway kodekan on archer street in chicago.. they have a website that shows everything they teach.. I have been friends with the owners for a little over 5 yrs, but the silat and fma instructor is John Bednarski.. If you give him a call, tell him that Bill from Guam referred you to his location

3. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

There is a Bukti Negara school near Chicago taught by Joe Judt from Studio Garuda.

4. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

I thought Joe taught Kuntao silat instead of bukti negara? But I could be wrong as I haven't been in the chicago area for a year or two..

5. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Joe Judt might still teach Kuntao Silat, but he is now also training with Mike Roberto who made the switch to Bukti Negara. In any way, it's silat :)

6. StudioGaruda

StudioGaruda New Member

I just saw this. Yes, I have been a student of Mike Roberto's since the 90's and we are teaching Bukti Negara and Santa Cruz Silat as well as the Kuntao Silat.

Our main club is in the Plainfield/Joliet area. We also have branch clubs in NE Indiana and the North side of Chicago/lakeview neighborhood.

In the coming months both Dr. Louie Yu and Mike Roberto will be coming to town to share with our club. We have a pretty active, dedicated club, merrily playing silat in basements and back rooms. Feel free to reach out to us.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I just wanted to say thank you to StudioGaruda (Joe?) for NOT leaping on an opportunity to do some over-the-top self-promotion. That was informative, understated, and gratefully accepted. A class act. And I wanted you to know that it didn't go unnoticed.