silat books

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Jordan, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Kiai Carita

Kiai Carita Banned Banned

Salam,

The novels by S.H Mintareja and Asmaraman S Kho Ping Hoo are the best silat reads ever but they are in Indonesian. These men as novelists were also knowledgable silat practitioners. The novel by Eiji Yoshikawa called Musashi, although about the way of the samurai, I found to be a good book to read while learning silat. The English translation is also called Musashi.

Salam.

2. silek

silek New Member

There is a book called The Malay Art of Attack and Defence by Ku Ahmad bin Ku Mustafa and Wong Kiew Kit, 1978 Oxford University Press. Wong Kiew Kit is a Chinese Martial Art practitioner. But I lost it.

In Malay (Indonesian), there are Keris Merah novel series written by Bastian produced by Pustaka Antara, Kuala Lumpur (1967) about a Javanese pendekar named Aditia whose journey in Sulawesi had resulted in confrontations with some Buginese pendekars.

3. silek

silek New Member

Dear Kiai Carita,

I'd appreciate if you could provide the details of the novels by S.H Mintareja and Asmaraman S Kho Ping Hoo and the information about the publishers. I'll try to find them when I go to Indonesia soon.

4. Kiai Carita

Dear Silek, I honestly don't know the publishers but visit most any bookshop in Indonesia and they will be able to at least point you in the right direction. These men not only were great novelists and silat practitioners they were also educationalists and they created a book reading culture amongst all classes of Indonesian youth between the 1960-1990s. They are very famous. Everyone knows them from a taxi driver to the President. Without the names of the publishers even, just walk into any Gunung Agung or Gramedia bookshop and you will find them.

Salam.

5. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Silek,

Is this book in English and what does it's content cover?

Thanks,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

6. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Unfortunately, there isn't that much good written material on Silat. Kirstin Pauka's articles in JAMA and her dissertation are excellent but perhaps more towards the dance and culture side than a lot of martial artists are interested in. Other than that, it looks like we've already hit the high points.

I didn't get that much out of "Serak the Tsunami".

7. Kiai Carita

8. silek

silek New Member

The Malay Art of Attack and Defence by Ku Ahmad bin Ku Mustafa and Wong Kiew Kit, 1978 Oxford University Press is in English. The content covers the main characteristics of Silat Jawa, Silat Minangkabau, Silat Kelantan, Silat Pattani and Silat Kedah and it shows the tecniques from those silats, armed and un-armed. There is also an article abot Silat compared to other martial arts perhaps written by Wong Kiew Kit. As I said, I lost it and I can't remember much.

Those who have the book can write some more or correct me if I am wrong.

9. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

The Malay Art of Attack and Defence

It's probably out of print. However, if someone resourceful could find a bunch then it would probabbly be a good addition to the SilatMart product line ;) .

10. Jebat

Jebat Valued Member

Check eBay.com for books, there quite some stuff out there.
    Not as much as with other martial arts, but still.....

Salam,
    Jebat

11. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

Not exactly a silat book but worth checking out and has many silat principles outlined.

W.A.R. - Guide to Bodyguarding for the Elite Professional

by Silat Guru CLiff Stewart

peace

silatyogi

12. Silk Road

Silk Road New Member

I've just read what I consider to be among the best Silat books available in english:

"The Malay Art of Self-Defense: Silat Seni Gayong" by Sheikh Shamsuddin

I am very deeply impressed by the scope and depth of this work. A valuable addition to the literature of Silat regardless of style or system.

Anyone else read it?

Silkroad

13. CQC

CQC Arsenal Gear's A.I

What about the magazines?

It's hard to find the silat books so I decided to tell the story about the magizne instead.

Malaysia still producing the MA magazine called "Seni Beladiri" (Martial Arts) which often most of the time featuring all silat gurus (most of them are the old timers) as their cover story. Unfortunately they're all printed in Malay but here's the e-mail address as it was written on its newest issue's cover
    senibeladiri@hotmail.com -- you might want to ask them if at any chance you can have the english version on pdf or something.

14. CQC

CQC Arsenal Gear's A.I

Where can I find this book, or to whom should i ask if i stil want to find this book?

15. silatliam

silatliam Valued Member

re Books

There is a series of 3 books written by Pendekar William Sanders on
    Pukulan Cimande Pusaka Pencak Silat and are design to help students understand the very Principles of Silat. They cover basic techniques, animal mannerisms, weapons training, internal training and alot more. Ive found them to be a great help with my own training and many of my students have got them and would recommend them. There more details of them on his Pendekar Sanders website www.cimande-pusaka.com. Hope this helps you in your search. Feel free to contact me if you wish for more details.

16. elwan

elwan New Member

Bro Silek. Salam to you. I am not a silat or any other form of self defense practitioner but I love reading them and there are 2 things that caught my attention when I accidentally search the web for my long lost collection by Bastian.

1. Siri Keris Merah by Bastian. I used to have a complete collection from Pendekar Keris Merah (Aditiajaya) to Murid Keris Merah (Sanjaya). Unfortunately some of it seemed disappeared without a trace. What I have left now are 'Pencuri Keris Merah' and 'Cinta Tak Berbalas'. I shall be grateful if you could let me know how to obtain the rest of the collection. By the style of writing, I suppose this is the same Bastian who are famous with his 'loco' character created under the title ' Wiro Sableng' or Pendekar Kapak Geni 212. But the author for Wiro Sableng series is called Bastian Tito (deceased).

2. Your query about S H Mintardja (deceased) and Asmaraman S Kho Ping Hoo.
    a) Mintardja's books are considered 'collectors item'; especially the one that I treasured most ' Nagasasra Sabuk Inten' (16 books) written about Demak's rule.
    The first book by Mintardja that was considered great reading started with 'Pelangi Di Langit Singosari' 55 books), continued with 'Bara Di Atas Singgahsana' (55 books), followed by 'Sepasang Ular Naga Di satu Sarang' 60 books), 'Panasnya Bunga Mekar' (35 books)and ends with 'Hijaunya Lembah Hijaunya Lereng Pergunungan' (104 books). The above collection are considered part history/part fiction originating from a small district of Tumapel to Singosari, Kediri and the fall of Singosari.

The second great creation of Mintardja was 'Api Di Bukit Menoreh'. This collection spans over a few years with 400 series (books) completed. It is about the fall of Demak rulers and the rising of the new Mataram (Sultan Agung) ruling into power.

Mintardja's also wrote a few isolated books (but comprised of a few series) such as Suramnya Bayang Bayang continued with Sayap Sayap Yang Terkembang (50 books), Arya Manggada (compiled into 4 books), Istana Yang Suram, Bunga Di batu Karang, Sisa Sisa Laskar Pajang and many more.

Kho Ping Hoo's books are more suitable for teenagers. He has written stories both based on silat Jawa (famous-Badai Laut Selatan) and from the old China (famous-Bu Kek Sian Su).

If you are looking for some silat batin, there's an author (I suppose he is a sufi- master) who wrote about the fall of Majapahit and the rise of Demak; part history part fiction. My collection was badly damaged and I do not seem to be able to find the replacement despite commuting to almost all parts of Jawa (secondhand bookstores) in search for it.

You may catch a glimpse of Khoo Ping Hoo's and Mintarja's great creation if you visit this websites:

Pustaka Anelinda (operated by a guy named Anton) mostly on Kho Ping Hoo's and Indonesia's famous comic creators such as Teguh Santosa (Si Mata Siwa), Yan Mintaraga (Kelelawar)and Ganes T H (Si Buta Dari Gua Hantu).

As for a glimpse of Nagasasra Sabuk Inten by Mintardja, you may want to visit 'Gajahsora.net' or just type S H Mintardja.

Hope the above helps.