Silat Animals

Discussion in 'Silat' started by ICT, Nov 17, 2003.

1. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Greetings,

I would like to see how many pure silat animal styles we could name, not techniques or kuntao animals just silat.

I'll start with an easy one:
    Tiger - Matjanan

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

The ones that I'm familiar with (from Mande Muda) would be:
    Harimau - tiger
    Pamacan - tiger ("father tiger")
    Pamonyet - monkey ("father monkey")
    Cikalong - bat ("water/river bat")

Mike

3. Fist Of Legend

Fist Of Legend New Member

Kucing: cat

4. krys

krys Valued Member

Merpati Putih: white dove?

Buwaya : (filipino) crocodile.

Our own style (Saudara, the brotherhood) is based on the tactics of an octopus.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2003
  5. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Cool,

An Octopus, that's a new one I never heard of. Are there any more rare ones out there like this?

6. krys

krys Valued Member

Actually the filipino style I study comes from a small island, that's why there are animal like the octopus, the (saltwater)crocodile...
    There may be another filipino system based on the crab.

In Kuala Terrenganu (Malaysia) the bodyguards of the sultan practice a style based on the movements of the turtle, (the sea turtle is the symbol of the province) it's really efficient and I learned a little.....

7. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

I have heard of some techniques named after strange animals but I don't know if there is a style for the animal or just a technique name and since I wanted to stick with just Silat animal styles I won't mention them unless I know they are a style.

Here is another one:
    Cobra - Tedung

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

8. krys

krys Valued Member

Another one (sumatra):

silat sapik kalo (the scorpion's pincers).

9. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

I got another one.

Eagle - Garuda

I heard this was a style. I Knew it was the Indonesian mascott like our American Bald Eagle so it would make sense that there is a Silat style for the eagle.

10. Wali

Wali Valued Member

gura-gura (Forgive spelling) - Turtle

11. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

I'm not very familiar with Silat, and I didn't realise that it was based around animals. Please coud someone enlighten me by telling me what the difference is?

Forgive my nievity, for I am only a simple Kobudoka :)

(LOL)

12. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Not all Silat systems are based on animals or even have anything to do with animals. In fact, most of the Silat systems that I've been exposed to don't have anything to do with animals. This thread specifically deals with systems that do, so that's why it's being discussed here.

You asked "what the difference is?" - The difference between what? The various Silat systems, Silat and other arts, or something else?

Mike

13. _tiki_

_tiki_ New Member

while on this subject...
    does anybody know of any animal based Silat schools in southern california?

14. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

The difference between the different styles of Silat. I apologise if I didn't make it clearer.

15. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Nope. That's clear enough :) Unfortunately, it's also virtually impossible to answer.

The term Silat is an umbrella term like "Karate" or "Kung Fu" that encompasses literally hundreds and possibly thousands of different systems of Silat found throughout southeast Asia. They each have different specialties and emphases.

Some, like Rikasan, focus on joint locking (though the intent isn't usually submissions but rather destruction). Others, like Harimau, focus on groundfighting. Others, like Cimande, focus on striking. Others, like Cipecut, focus on a specific type of weapon (Cipecut focuses on flexible weapons).

Mike

16. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Ah, I see. Cheers Mike.

17. _tiki_

_tiki_ New Member

but I return to my previous question...are there any good silat schools in southern california?

18. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Well, I can think of 4 that I'd recommend off the top of my head - of course, "southern california" is a pretty big place. 3 of the ones I'm aware of are in the LA area and the 4th isn't far from LA.

http://www.inosanto.com
    http://www.serak.com
    http://www.buktinegara.com
    http://www.pentjaksilatusa.com - go to the "Contact Us" page

I'd guess that there are others but those are the first 4 that come to my mind.

Mike

19. amirul_tekpi79

amirul_tekpi79 Valued Member

Some silat styles in Malaysia that are animal or semi-animal based

Peace to all,

Just want to add some styles from Malaysia.

Bangau Putih white crane
    Rajawali Putih white Eagle
    Cekak Harimau tiger
    Garuda big legendary bird
    Helang Merah red eagle
    Harimau Kumbang leopard/puma
    Harimau Hitam black tiger
    Harimau Melaka Malaccan tiger
    Harimau Sang Saka tiger spirit
    Harimau Sri Rama rama's tiger (rama-from ramayana)
    Helang Putih white eagle
    Helang Harimau eagle & tiger
    Kala Putih white scorpion
    Kera Putih white ape
    Kura-kura turtle
    Naga Buana dragon
    Pelanduk Putih white deer
    Siamang Laut sea ape
    Sikorek Monyet monkey
    Singa Kandangan caged lion

Some of them are really animal-like i.e. Helang Putih,Harimau Hitam & Kura-kura. Some used certain animal fighting aspects i.e. Rajawali Putih & Cekak Harimau.

peace

Ash Dawn likes this.
  20. krys

krys Valued Member

Were you able to experience this turtle system? Is it the one from Kuala Terrenganu?