Signature characteristics of your style

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by paihequan, Sep 13, 2006.

1. paihequan

paihequan Valued Member

Below is a one of the Signature Characteristic of our White Crane Gongfu style. What are the signature characteristics of your style?

[​IMG]

Front view of the Shiho Tien Sh-it (Feeding Crane Open's it's Wings). The body position (Tiwei) is held supple and relaxed and is likened to a bow with the limbs being the arrows (Zhang). The energy is lead by the mind through what is known as Xinyi (“Intention”) and delivered via Zhiqiao (“Limb Skill”). White Crane Kung Fu is a soft style which focuses on short ranged hand techniques, with a strong emphasis on applying Dan Dou Qin (Chi tremor). Like an agile bird it eschews confrontations of head-on power. It utilizes folding and flapping actions for elbow and hand continually exchanging with one another. Some times the crane is frontal like a posturing bird. Sometimes it turns suddenly with a surprising wing like covering. In ancient days observers were amazed at the sight of cranes taking off into flight and cracking the branches of nearby trees with the tips of their wings. This idea of extreme acceleration is still evident in the shivering fingertips of crane practitioners when they utilize this energy.

The mind's (Yi) "intent" must also be properly focused and centred within when executing movement. One must not allow the mind to become distracted or bound by external thoughts, the mind should be focused. Qi/Chi only moves only as the mind moves. Energy is directed by your mind. The “Yi” (mind) leads the “Li: (body).

The use of the breath is also important as in Chinese martial arts Qi/Chi is breath.

When you have the proper mindset (intent) combined with the correct body posture and breathing then you will develop correct Fajin or expression of energy.

2. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

I dont understand what you mean ... "signature characteristics" ??

3. funnytiger

funnytiger Earthbender...

Every style has a sequence of movements or a particular technique about it that makes it readily recognizable from outsiders. I think that's what he means...

4. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

ahh i see

erm what is wing chung one then

im guessing to people doing Chi Sau ??

or perhaps someone in form stance .

5. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

My style isn't so much about specific movements (though our stance and execution of certain redirections into hidden hand and foot techiques is somewhat signature). Instead we focus on signature concepts -- adapting and flowing with the situation. Bending without breaking or doubling over.

- Matt

6. loyalonehk

loyalonehk New Member

Kajukenbo

Ground Work!
    Kajukenbo's non-stop attack aproach. After the attacker hits the ground, you follow up with your attack until the opponent quits, stops moving or you decide to stop. :cool:

Not all the schools are as intense in this area as others. But, if done as Sijo wants it, it is very intense. In regular classes I have received to date, a broken nose, several cracked ribs, a chipped sternum and fractured fingers.

A little blood, fat lips and occasional broken bones are common in Emperado Original Method Kajukenbo. ;) :yeleyes:

Overkill? Yes, but...
    "It's better to know how and not need to, than to need to and not know how".

NO STOP SIGNS, 0-100mph RIGHT NOW!

7. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

8. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

I'm surprised that page was written by jon Funk. The tsai in ou low tsai is supposed to be pluck and refers to a forward and downward pull you do with the captured arm. Even tough there is a famous ou lou tsai drill that is done with a straight punch at the end so 2 people can practise back and forth, it can actually be used to set up many strikes,kicks, locks and takedowns.

9. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

19th, I am not familiar with that methodology of explanation (not that it is incorrect, but I have not heard it explained like that). Jon Funk was my sigung. It was my understanding that my teacher always explained "pluck" as part of the "hook" character.

I know the Ou Lou Tsai drill as the "Inside/Outside" (from the different intercepts) drill. I like that drill very much. :cool:

10. paihequan

paihequan Valued Member

Thanks fior the great discusssion.

Lets keep it going!

11. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

12. paihequan

paihequan Valued Member

Onyomi,

That's it exactly! I mean a defining movement, concept or principle of your style. Something that is closely associated with the physical, conceptual aspects of the style.

13. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Yeah, like in Fu Hok Hung Gar when sitting in a deep horse with one hand chambered and the other arm extended with the bridge hand-(all fingers and thumb bent almost in a fist,with the index finger pointing to the heavens) out.Not a set on guard in a real situation,but a common posture in forms, a "signature" posture.I used to refer to the bridge hand as the signature hand,even.Very common in some southern "Shaolin" Hung type systems.A "trademark" posture.
    (Edit) OK phq, I see now that you're including concepts and such. I thought you just meant recognizable posture type things.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  14. Ma Bu

Ma Bu Valued Member

In Estonia there are very few Chinese martial arts schools. The ones closer to me are 1 wing chun school that has T H E VERY SAME imfamous "wingchun guy hurts students OH NOES ge et over it" guy, the other is a leung ting wing chun school which has a little too high fee. The one that I'm in has the following in it's curriculum: CONTEMPORARY wushu, tradidional *insert style here, don't know* northern shaolin based mixed system, sanda/sanshou with emphasis on traditional application. Apparently the instructor's instructor was a refugee of the cultural revolution. Training methods that are widely practiced in any other cont' wushu school are famous among us(mainly because of their physical benefits). BUT we also have to train in all the traditional forms(which is why I got into it in the first place) for our gradings, including all the standing in PERFECT HORSE STANCE. In competiton we are average at contemporary wushu taolu competiton and pretty high up in the sanda. Needless to say that there are no traditional wushu events in Estonia at all. BTW I have been to that place training for one year. Theere are two possible reasons why we practice "EVIL GOVERNMENT WUSHU CONSPIRACY TO HIDE THE TRUTH OH NOES GET A LIFE NO W1!!1ONE" IS BECause our instructor learned it during the soviet times, adn to have more people interested in learning.
    Our characteristic moves...hmm I can't decide...so many, it must be...all of them, except the WUSHU "BULLSH1T" that is only very useful for training your body, which is very important . However I do like the fact that we don't do the puches like they do in boxing, all the while using the hip differently (a jab would be done by shifting your weight to the front leg by lifting the heel of the BACK leg. We almost never lean into our cross, only when pulling your opponent towards yourself by grabing his wrist.) Throws are alos allowed. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  15. Buddy

Buddy Valued Member

Circle walking.

16. beknar

beknar Valued Member

I .. am .. SO JEALOUS.

That's my favorite video! But, like I said before, I GUESS he has to teach his students something other than what it feels to get punched in the face, get taken down and then chain punched in the head.

17. SirVill

SirVill Valued Member

I do Nam Pai Chuan in New Zealand... I guess it would be the very low southern stance in a lohan pose or something. That seems pretty epic.

Haha... you'd hope so. If all I did in class was get joint locked and chain elbowed in the face I'd quit.

18. paihequan

paihequan Valued Member

SirVill,

Is Nam Pai Chuan a Northern system? Please tell me more.

19. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

Baji - Loud stomping

20. SirVill

SirVill Valued Member

The name is a loose translation of "North South Fist", but I think its more predominantly southern.

Which is very strange because everyone seems to refer to our stance as a "low southern stance", which is in conflict with much of the stuff I read on here saying that northern styles are characteristically lower.

Here is the history of our style, as per the website of the London branch of the club- http://www.deltapiwest.com/nampaichuan/history.htm

Basically, the style was developed by a monk named Seh Koh San, who eventually became abbott of the Shaolin Siong Lim Temple in Singapore. And goes from there.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006