Sifu doesn't like me?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by 8limbs38112, Jul 12, 2015.

1. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

I don't know why, but I get the feeling that my wing chun Sifu doesn't like me. Everytime I bow and greet him he ignores me and keeps walking. I like the school and the jauyen/coach is cool and everything, but for some reason the Sifu/school owner seems to ignore me everytime I greet him until he's like right in front of me and there's now way he can ignore me without being totally rude.

I like the school and the WC coach is cool, but at the same time I don't want to train somewhere where the Sifu doesn't even like me. I already purchased a uniform and shoes so I don't want to give up so quickly. Maybe I look similar to someone that did him wrong in his past? Most places I have trained at made me feel welcome. This guy seems to do the opposite. The first day I went there he seemed cool with me but every week after that he seemed ehhhh rude.

I'm just going to stick around to see if he warms up to me. I won't quit unless he does something horrible. Has anyone else been in a situation like this? Thing is I didn't realize he may not like me until after I purchased the uniform and shoes.

2. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Talk to him before or after training about how you feel and go from there. As a student paying money you also deserve some respect, don't forget that.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  3. 8limbs38112

4. HairoNoSora

HairoNoSora Valued Member

Have you seen him towards the other students? Is he more respectful towards the others them?

Might be good to figure it out.. could be that he is just deep in thought when you bow to him and he just doesnt notice you unless you're right in front of him.
    Or maybe indeed he doesnt like you for some unknown reason.

My advice would be to observe, and like Hapuka said, talk to your Sifu. It could be a misunderstanding, or just something to work out.

But if he's disrespectful towards his students in general, the best thing would be to find a different place in my oppinion.

5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

If you thai box too (and look like you do) he's probably threatened.

As an aside: the most passive agressive and insecure instructors and students I've ever met have always been in wing chun. Make of that what you will.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Is he Chinese?

7. Karatebadger

Karatebadger Valued Member

Without being there it is very difficult to say what is happening but there may be etiquette issues that you are unaware of as yet. In some schools I have attended it would be seen as a little presumptuous for a newbie to greet the head instructor, the head deals with the assistant instructor who deals with the students and the hierarchy is rigidly adhered to. My advice would be to raise the question with your coach first and just make sure you are not committing some kind of faux pas unknowingly.

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I was thinking the same thing.

I think its in the "Old Chinese Sifu" manual. Must be seated at all times, grunt in disapproval, grunt in approval, smoke (where legal)

9. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

There's a guy on another forum who has a massive persecution complex and tells a story about my Sigung being rude to him 20 years ago and I'm like "dude, it just sounds like a Chinese person being Chinese".

10. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

If the teaching is good does it matter? I don't like 99% of people

11. 8limbs38112

No he's not chinese. He's black.

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Black isn't a nationality.

13. 8limbs38112

my bad. I guess I should have said he's not asian he is African American. Maybe I just don't understand the kwoon culture yet. I don't know. Proabaly shouldn't have even brought this up on here.

14. 8limbs38112

Your right. As long as they don't have a problem with me training there, I guess I shouldn't worry.

15. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

It was when I covered my face in boot polish, in a bad mental state in the 1990's I was from the state of blackface ninja under quilt, only one night in hospital, next day I blagged I felt fine :)

16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

That post is in very poor taste.

17. aaradia

I would second seeing if your Sifu acts the same to others or if he reacts to you alone that way.

There was an instructor at my school that I thought didn't like me. Then I talked to another student who brought up that he thought that instructor didn't like him. Then I found another student who said the same thing! Great instructor, but just kind of had a bit of a vibe about him that made people think that. He would act perfectly polite, but the undercurrent of his vibe was just a bit well, it made more than one person think they weren't liked by him.

For that matter, I have had people thinking I am mad when I am not. I just have a very serious demeanor about me. It is just the way I am.

If it isn't a good mix, if it makes you too uncomfortable, you might want to find a school where the vibe is a better mix. And that isn't knocking the Sifu at all. It just may be a bad mix of personality types.

For example: That instructor I mentioned- I was fine learning from him in group classes. He was an excellent instructor. But I never would have had him for my personal instructor. Because I want to feel comfortable with my personal instructor. You have to decide what is important and work within your comfort zone. If you are uncomfortable in a training situation, you will probably not train as much. And that isn't good.

18. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Why ? Am I not allowed to make a joke about my constant battle through the 90'2 against mental illness? . It was in my eyes pushing that martial arts can change your life. I don't see why it was in poor taste but then I'm a care free kinda guy but I like to be I involved in Map discussions, and you sir are not going to make me doubt myself, I have a cat trained to attack negative energy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  19. 8limbs38112

Thanks for the advice.

20. aaradia

Well, you responded talking about blackface after reference to someone's race- not a discussion on mental illness. Maybe the link below will explain why I found your reference to blackface to be "negative energy."

BTW, I am not a sir.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface