Sidekicks and Kickboxing

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Gong_Sau_Rick, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

Hi, some simple questions.

1. I don't think I've ever seen a sidekick in a kickboxing match before. Does kickboxing actually have a sidekick? What about Muay Thai?

2. Why would you want to use a sidekick? In general what merit does it have from a kickboxer's perspective?

3. As a semi-random question how much are kicks off the lead leg used? What merit or lack of is there in this?

Yes I did use the search function and I got no love.

Also watching Kyokushin matches I see plenty of low and high round kicks, front kicks and even axe kicks but I never see sidekicks. Looking at the kata (I know at least 15 Shotokan kata) sidekicks are quite a major kick too, is there something I've missed?

As a Wing Chun guy I can say that our sidekick is used pretty much as often as the frontkick, it's simply used when it's the closer and easier weapon to use, also it's unchambered (WSL method) which adds a whole different dynamic to it's use. It's used usually when you're not "facing" an opponent. Would a kickboxer use a side kick in a similar context?

That's all folks.

2. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

crocop vs peter aerts. when they weren't arguing over who would lead the dancing, crocop threw several right leg sidekicks. facing him, iirc.

(awful fight otherwise)

3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

watch some sanshou/sanda, it's used fairly often.

my preference is a front kick, it's 'safer' and can be almost as powerful. When doing a side kick your groin is alot more exposed then a front kick, also the rest of your body is usually not protected as well as a front kick.

Sometimes a side kick fits better then a front kick (especially with my big feet), and I can kick someone in the ribs easier then a front kick as my feet usually hit their forearms with my big flappy feet.

kicking off the front leg is used to keep someone at bay, or if they charge in at you.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

First up, it's worth noting that a WC and KB sidekick are two very different beasts.

The reason that sidekicks don't crop up to much in KB is because it opens you up alot, though the sidekick can be seen turning/spinning kick quite often, as the body motion allows for it to come out quite nicely.

5. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Yep the sidekick is used in most kickboxing, but with the recent K1 type rules they are starting to die off a little in bouts.

I only use them now and again as a surprise or stop hit.

6. Cathain

Cathain Lily Lau Gar

The sidekick is often used when the opponent is at a distance from you.
    It tends to have a longer reach than, say, a front kick.

7. relish

relish Valued Member

Really whilst sparring I mainly use it in the same way I would a front kick, but with longer reach and more power (perfect if you can tell they're wanting to jump in from a mile out :D). Sometimes I use the spinning version as an alternative to a spinning hook kick if I'm feeling pretty tired as it takes less energy but is still probably as powerful; for example as a counter to a rear roundhouse. Overall though, gotta love those front kicks for economy and effectiveness without leaving yourself open.

As for #3 I personally probably use my lead leg more than the rear as it's quicker and usually more economic. Pretty much every axe kick or front kick is gonna be coming from the lead and a good proportion of round kicks too. Rear-wise I only really throw roundhouses, spinning kicks and the odd front kick with it.

Sam

8. TigerDude

TigerDude Valued Member

I would say that you don't see it because practitioners don't find it very effective.

9. inbuninbu

inbuninbu "Train hard, fight easy"

side kicks; front/back leg kicks

As someone who is very lightweight for a kickboxer I find them (side kicks) useful for keeping heavier opponents at bay. With a lot more power in than some other kicks it can function as a decent stopping kick if I'm really losing ground.

Usually I'd use a front kick/stamping kick of some kind as a stopping kick but some people tend to carry on trying to walk through it repeatedly so a strong side kick, which you can put more of your bodyweight behind, can be a better lesson/warning if you land it hard, and create me some space.

As for the front leg/back leg thing, your front leg's closer to your opponents for starters, so generally good for landing lots of swift blows and ideal for bumping up your score in point-scoring matches (and annoying your opponent). The back leg is often more powerful eg for spinning kicks and so on but the problem is it is slower as it has to in general travel a greater distance before it can hit your opponent! So each has it's uses (two legs are better than one! ;) )

That's my perspective though...

10. Bobyclumsyninja

Bobyclumsyninja New Member

Lead leg shin kicks to the inner, outer thigh, or shin are great for closing the gap to punch, and throwing the balance of the opponent/sparring partner off.

In chinese kickboxing, we use a hopping sidekick, without a chambering action, it evolves all at once, and the heel bone travels roughly in a straight line at the target area (still turning the ball of the supporting foot away) It fast, hurts like hell, and doesn't require a side stance to throw from.

Not everyone's comfortable using sidekicks, and they don't work well on everyone. Some people just are more prone to eating them...has a lot to do with how far apart they naturally keep their elbows...from my experience.

11. Skeletor

Skeletor New Member

I find that sidekicks are useful for driving back an opponent who is on the back foot

As for technique, because i focus on Chi a lot more than usual, i drive chi into my leg whils dodging and blocking, and then release a sidekick into a right stance. The aim of this side kick depends on how I think it will work best, and because my foot almost immediatley is on the floor, it is hard to catch this kick.

However, it is not as quick as a lot of other kicks such as the front kick series, and can not easily be integrated into a combination

12. tideliar

tideliar Valued Member

We use 'em usually in combination. If you throw a front kick, but a glancing angle causes you to rotate/start to rotate upon landing then you can turn that momentum into a strong sidekick. Other way is meet a charge with a sidekick, then landing out of stance you can follow with a knee or a rear leg kick. Always in combination though, cos of the risk of opening yourself up...

13. Tim T

Tim T Iam Jacks Smirkng Revenge

i love a stepping sidekick, nice coiled up power and great for gaining a lot of ground ! :)

14. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

Lead leg kicks can be devestating to the shin,knee groin and can be used as a "stop kick".

lead leg kicks can be used to manage the distance and to be a set up for another strike

15. donb

donb restless spirit

don't get me wrong, i love sidekicks but one of the flaws of sidekick, especially in kickboxing, is it places you , obviously on your side, limiting you from using the rest of your arsenal if you need to follow through (unless your good with spin kicks, turning kicks, hook kicks), all you'll have is a jab or back fist (the distance to use the back arm and leg is farther, taking longer time). Unlike a front kick (other than power, effectiveness), the availability of your other leg and arm is ready for any combination. just an opinion.

16. k1ckboxer

k1ckboxer Valued Member

Totally agree, your be very luck if a sidekick wins you fight and that’s a fact. Front kicks and round kicks are most useful for reasons stated by donb.

17. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Interesting thread... I've pondered a bunch of this myself. The only place I've really seen effective side kicks is in the San Da tournaments in China. The pro San Da circuit that they went all out to popularize (at least in China) was Kings of Kung Fu several years back. It was even televised here in Hong Kong. Lot of big, fit, fast and aggressive PLA (People's Liberation Army) mugs in there standing toe to toe. There were plenty of side kicks landing and being thrown. The fighter to look up here would be Liu Hailong - the champ of Chinese San Da. Not sure how similar or different that type of side kick is from what predominates in western styles of kickboxing. Even if there was one style that predominated in western kickboxing... it'd be hard to know because western kickboxing generally is so off the radar that many have no idea it even exists other than as an abstract name.

The only other real person that I can remember throwing good side kicks would have been Rick Roufus who fought many of the greats... everyone from Ernesto Hoost to Chanpuek Kiatsongrit to Rob Kaman.

18. Nii

Nii Valued Member

I love side kicks. They saved my ass plenty of times while sparring with a Muay Thai buddy of mine (back in the day when I only did TKD). It generates more power than most of my other kicks, has a good chance of winding someone, doesn't telegraph much and is pretty fast. Only problem is lack of following up as mentioned above.

19. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

one hit wonder

I came to the conclusion during sparring last night (or moreso after) that the sidekick is a 'one hit wonder'.

It is pretty effective when it makes contact, but you cannot - as stated before - follow it up easily.

There is also not much you can do to cover your entry to it, so to pull it off effectively, you have to time it to what your opponent engaged in an attack, or hope they have a lame guard.

The best times I can recall using the sidekick to good affect was as someone was coming in at me with a high guard or high punch - foot goes into lower ribs and stops them.

because of the position of the foot you can plant it under someones guard easier then a front kick. If you have big feet like me then they tend to catch on peoples elbows/forearms as they pull their guard in.

I believe the reason it is used to better effect in SanDa/shou is because you get points, and can win from knocking the person out of the area/off the leitai. This is a powerful kick that can knock people back even whilst guarding which scores points and potentially wins fights in this case.

20. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

Really a technique that needs superior balance and flexibility to be effective. Best thrown from a side on stance. See 'Kickboxing; a framework for success' by Eddie O'keefe (I think) for comments. Greater range than a front kick, but for most of us - not all, especially whippy TKDers - a little more risky