Side choke.

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Bon, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Hi,

after I get someone's arm extended in side mount, how can I put a side choke on them ? -- the choke where you push your chin against their arm/tricep. I know I can slap on a keylock or whatever, but I'd much prefer to choke someone out in the street rather than dislocate their shoulder.

Btw, does anyone else find they get someone's arm extended after they've got them in side control ? I notice the more experienced guy are easily able to do it.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi Bon

You can't get the clasic 2side choke" or "Kata Gatame" unless you switch to a scarf hold. If it's scarf hold you mean then just yell & I'll post how. However, from side mount...

Assuming your head is at his left side...

Arm Triangle
    Push his left arm/elbow towards his head.
    Move your left arm down so that your left triceps is in contact with HIS left triceps - so your arms are kinda back to back.
    Wrap your arm over his face and then around his neck to that it comes out near his right ear.
    Basically you have wrapped his head - but you have his arm in there too.
    Squeeeeeeeze :D
    Direct your pressure to push his upper arm into his neck.

Collar choke
    Wrap his head with your left arm as above but without his arm in there.
    Pull his RIGHT lapel up with your rigth hand and feed it into your left.
    Pull with your left so thjat the lapel digs into his neck - thing of pulling your arm out from behind his neck.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz............. :D

Forearm bar
    Take your left arm and move it under his right shoulder - inserting it into his collar with your fingers inside.
    Grab his far (left) collar high up with your right hand.
    Pull with your right hand to take out any slack in his collar and lever your left forearm across his throat (Ouch!)

3. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Nice subs, YODA. :)

It appears the arm triangle was the one I was asking about, thanks!

4. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Heers a fake to it
    U have your training partner in the mount
    Figuer 4 the right arm pull it towards the left shoulder
    Slip your left arm out & around the head
    Main tain wrist control with the wight hand
    Transfer the arm to the left hand wrist control
    slip right arm under the head & your head behined the elbow
    Sit out to side scarf control & drive your head to the floor.

5. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

Soooooo do I have my left arm under his head or accross his neck? Then I put my head behind his elbow or mine?

I'm a little lost by that one? Is it a strangle or neck crank or something else?

I can almost visualise it in my head and what I can see looks good :D not training till next week to find out though, so I just gotta imagine :(

6. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Right Arm Will Be under the Neck
    And Grabing The Bisep Of Yor Left

This is also a good Set up into an Arm Lock
    Sorry to have confused U

7. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

The Side Choke/Arm Triangle rules :D

Best ways to get straight to it are:

a) Scarfhold - push the arm across
    b) Side Control - trap the arm between your head and theirs then jump over
    c) Mount - push the arm across and finish from there or dismount to the side
    d) Back Mount - my personal favorite, keep your hands under their armpits, as they try to turn to their back shoot your arm around the neck. If you had the hooks in you'll end in the Mount with it. If you didn't, you need to circle to the side they turn, you'll be at the side with the choke already on.
    e) Guard - with one hand on neck push their arm across or duckunder it. Scoot hips out and finish or sweep to Mount or Side.

Of course, there are loads of other ways which come from other submission attacks and feints.

There are many ways to grip the arms, I use the Mario Sperry way myself. Here's a pic:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/totalgrappling/submissions_sidechoke.jpg

Nathan