Sickle skills in Indo Arts

Discussion in 'Silat' started by 5thBrother, Jan 5, 2007.

1. 5thBrother

5thBrother Valued Member

Hi Guys

Im posting this in Filo Forums Also re: Filo Arts...

Whats the Silat Term(s) for Sickle?

Can anyone tell me anything about Indo Sickle Skills?

My experience is coming from Okinawan Sickle (kama) and alittle Chinese Sickle and minute Silat Sickle..

interested in the Similarities and Differences: Historical, Cultural and Technical...

any URL for info, pics, clips also muchly appreciated

Thanks all~~

PS: would also be interested in Thai Arts Sickle info if theyhave such weapon / organsied art for Single/Double Sickle

thanks!~

2. Monyet Nakal

Monyet Nakal Valued Member

The most common "sickle-type" weapons that I am familiar with in the indo-malay arts are the clurit and the arit (usually the two terms are used for the same weapon but I have seen them refer to larger and smaller versions respectively.) They tend to have a much more subtle curve to the blade than the more widely known sickle weapons so the strikes aren't quite so linear and direct as say that of the kama. From what I've seen its use in pentjak silat seems to be most common in Javanese styles but I'm sure more knowledgeable people than I will post that this is not necessarily the case.

I'm sure if you google "clurit" or "arit" you can find more info than I can give you here.

As far as sickles in the thai arts goes, I've seen sickle-type weapons associated with Krabi Krabong, but I've never seen them "in action" and I don't believe that they are considered primary weapons in the system so other than letting you know that they exist I can't give you much help on that end.

3. 5thBrother

5thBrother Valued Member

Thanks for informative Monyet~

Thanks in advance anyone else~

:)

4. Kiai Carita

Kiai Carita Banned Banned

Clurit and Arit

Salaams all,

Clurit is from the island of Madura, it is a very curved half-moon sickle used for fighting, rarely for work, sometimes made with pamor and treated as a pusaka. It is shaped nearly exactly like the Communist symbol. Arit is the less curved agricultural tool. The people of Madura are famed for their clurit, although they also have bulu ayam and lancor which are bigger and longer and special for bloodsheding.

KC

5. Monyet Nakal

Monyet Nakal Valued Member

Ah Kiai Carita you are, of course, correct. I actually did mean to say "madurese" but for some reason typed "javanese."

Close but no kretek, eh? :)

6. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

I do so miss rokok kretek, cap Bentoel paling siiip deh ... of course I don't smoke now :Angel: .

Any art should be able to transition and adapt from tangan kosong to using weapons. The use of the arit is no exception.

Salam,
    Krisno

7. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

A non smoker for many years myself but

If you really want to practice your MA skills.............innocently hand out a packet or two of kretek to friends, reprobates and strangers in a British rock club. :Angel:

Then, try to explain to the rush of bouncers lured by the 'funny smell', that they are merely cigarettes laced with cloves & half the club are not defiantly sparking up spliffs cunningly disguised as ordinary cigarettes:D

Await ejection by 8 gorillas :D

Very stupid but highly entertaining mistake :eek:

Sorry, to hijack a serious thread but the word kretek always brings back memories of that gig :love:

8. Rebo Paing

ROFLMAO GS!!! :D

Salam,
    Krisno

9. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

hi,

I'm an ex-smoker as well. My fav's were the 234 (filtered)... but my guru chain smokes the unfiltered.

We recently attended a silat discussion group in Jakarta. Someone asked if his style (Cingkrik Goning) had jurus nafas (breathing)... one of his students joked "ya.. habis latihan, langsung rokok" (finish workout and start smoking).

One of the most wonderful feelings in Indonesia is the scent of rokok kretek that hits you as you step off the airplane.

But back to the issue at hand... another sickle weapon is the kerambat/kerambit... a small knife with a curved blade... not unlike the razor-sharp blades attacked to the legs of fighting cocks. This is of course, for more close quarters. In the techniques i've seen, the curvature of the blade is used as a lever to manipulate and trap the opponents arms for a deadly final stroke across the throat.

10. Rebo Paing

Ji Sam Su :D

11. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Absolutely Mas Kiai, I have been told this by everyone :)

I thought I'd say it is pronounced ch'loorit so people don't say klurit ;)

12. Pekir

Pekir Valued Member

Or celurit :)

13. tellner

tellner Valued Member

I used to be able to use them. Then I forgot how.
    Call it......

Sickle Skill Amnesia :D

14. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

I have a DVD of Herman Suwanda doing some neat stuff with them. See if you can find anything like that thru his sister's group. I'm pretty sure she still sells those dvds.

15. Silat Junkie

Silat Junkie New Member

Clurit

My background is Pamur and another family system from Madura (at least in part) and some of my training involved the Clurit.

It's an interesting weapon. Scary as h*ll when you see someone good with one swinging it around and then to imagine being mugged in Jakarta at the end of one of those... (Apparantly, my friends in Jakarta say that it is often used as at least one of the weapons of choice for... gangs??? Not sure if that's the term he used but that was the impression I got.)

The jurus-jurus Clurit Pamur are also used for pedang with a few simple changes.

Functionality of the Clurit (as I was taught) consists of:
    Hacking
    Hooking
    Blocking
    Poking (it's not really stabbing because of the shape but it would go in deep enough to be considered a knife stab in any case I'm sure.)
    Scraping
    Catching
    Intimidating

I think that just about covers it...

Sometimes it is used with other weapons, but that isn't how it is taught and that is more of an advanced pencak silat skill generally from what I've seen.

Clurit2 do range in size. I have one that is as large as my finger tips to my outer elbow in length, excluding the curvature. and one that fits from my inner elbow to the tip of my fist approximately.

One is Damascus and has a random pamur and the other is just spring steel with no visible pamur.

I enjoy using them and learning about them but within the context of the U.S. they have limited value unfortunately. Very difficult to carry around and not be noticed. :) Still, I do teach them with low emphasis just because of the variation of leverage that they bring to the discussion.

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  16. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

Similar to Mexican "Saca Tripas"....

17. Silat Junkie

Silat Junkie New Member

Not sure what that means...?

Halo - Not sure what Mexican "Saca Tripas" is?

18. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

SACA TRIPAS means or translates into Intestines scrapper its a sickle like knife used in Mexican farms & also old Cow Boy days

19. Silat Junkie

Silat Junkie New Member

Clurit v. Saca Tripas

ooh, that sounds nasty!

I suppose that would be at least one way to use it. Would you say that is more like a kerambit rather than Clurit? Just curious.

20. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

As far as I know its used with the blade facing in or out but in "Heaven Grip"