SIB's fitness and training log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Saved_in_Blood, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

With a bad shoulder and back there isn't as much as I can do. I'm trying to save some money to get back into combat hapkido... I really want to just get my black belt at least. I'm also working on trying to locate a local Navy boxing coach just to work on technique... right now it's just fitness. My workout is as follows

70 minutes total cardio on recumbent bike. Sets of 25 push-ups every 10 minutes of riding. Total of 175 push-ups (close hand position).

avg. HR 134
    max HR 152
    calories burned 712
    avg watts 143
    distance 22.5 miles
    avg mph 19.3

2. Saved_in_Blood

Haven't been on here everyday obviously... most days for me is pretty much 70 minutes of riding, 2 days a week have the push-ups involved.

11-18

70 minutes
    703 calories
    129 avg HR

210 push ups total

3. Saved_in_Blood

70 minutes
    763 calories
    139 avg HR
    23.0 miles

only bicep work tonight afterward doing drop sets.

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Welcome back....Take it easy

5. Saved_in_Blood

Thanks man, yeah I am... actually doing this has really made me feel great.

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Almost anything is better than nothing.

At least "you got back on the horse"

7. Saved_in_Blood

Tonight:

70 minutes
    716 calories
    137 HR avg
    172 HR max
    22.6 miles
    19.6 mph

215 push-ups total

8. Saved_in_Blood

Friday:
    70 minutes
    767 calories
    avg HR 153
    max HR 178
    23 miles

9. Saved_in_Blood

Tonight:
    70 minutes
    786 calories
    avg HR 139
    max HR 153
    23.3 miles

Tonight was my best calorie per minute workout. My HR was not as high which I believe to be the 4 grams of arginine I took and it's help with putting nitric oxide into the blood. It definitely helps me with my endurance and lifting.

10. Saved_in_Blood

yesterday I changed it up from push-ups every 10 minutes to every 7.

HR and everything else are about inline with the others, but push-up total went up to 242 reps total. Maybe a little bit more DOMS, but not much more than usual. Abs, shoulders and triceps can feel it a little more from the closer hand position reps.

11. Saved_in_Blood

Same cardio tonight but I did the following:

7 minutes riding, hop right off the bike, down and 25 push-ups, up real quick and then tricep dips... by that time after the close position pushing i'm only able to get about 8 reps out of the dips... but that's what I want. This is continued every 7 minutes and then after cooldown to make sure the muscles are burned out, so 10 sets of each.

12. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Hi SiB,

Looks like you're getting some good work done with the bike and push ups, and great that you're recording heart rate, time, distance and calories so you can have some idea of progress :D

What kind of bad shoulder and bad back do you have? Also, what other exercises are you doing (I've seen mention of dips and bicep stuff)?

I found that 'balancing' my exercises a bit more has helped dramatically with my shoulder, neck and back pain - e.g. pull as well as push (rows+push ups, pull ups+overhead press, if your shoulder allows), and trying to cover the 'primal movements' - push, pull, bend, squat, twist, lunge and gait. You might find (depending on the source of your shoulder issues) that doing up to 250 push ups with no pulling to counteract them exacerbates things.

Last thing (and showing my bias ;)) - did you ever find an FMA class near you?

Take it easy mate

Harry

13. Saved_in_Blood

Hey Harry... thanks for the info. Unfortunately no I haven't found one. I did get back into my combat hapkido which makes me feel good that i'm doing something.

The shoulder was misshapen from birth along with scoliosis. I also have osteoarthritis and a torn posterior deltoid. I was doing neutral grip pull ups, but that seemed to really hurt the lower back arthritis I also have. Range of motion is extremely limited right now.

I just do anything I can right now and am trying to decide on surgery now, or wait until later.

14. Saved_in_Blood

Got a little bit more done last night by going up in level on the resistance, but I didn't start until about halfway through the workout.

avg HR 139
    max HR 176
    avg. watts 159
    calories 790
    miles 23.3

15. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

No worries my friend :)

Damn, arthritis, torn delt, scoliosis and misshapen shoulder... Do you (or your doctor/physician/physical therapist) know how much surgery will help (are you likely to get full ROM back)? Whatever your decision about surgery, I hope it works out the best way for you dude.

That's cool about the MA, sometimes there is a better sense of progression with something you are already familiar with, rather than starting something brand new (for me it all depends on available energy/effort levels!)

Hmm, so if pull ups (vertical pull) cause too much pain, how about horizontal pulls? This could be weighted bent over rows (bar, KB, DB, Sandbag, resistance band(s) tied to something solid), anything heavy), resistance band pull-aparts (or chest expander front pulls), or (I don't know what the proper name for these is) the thing where you lay back with your feet elevated (body horizontal-ish), arms up to a broomstick/bar/ropes/TRX/rings and pull yourself up.

Any of those sound feasible?

16. Saved_in_Blood

Some of them do yeah. I'd be afraid to try any weighted bent over rows or deadlifts. I am just doing the supermans right now and seeing how that does with several sets a week.

With my shoulder... well, it will have to be fixed without question. The back I can get away with for a while. The scoliosis has caused many of the problems in the other areas because everything is not symmetrical and therefore puts strain in other areas to try to make up for it I suppose. I'll look over the others you mentioned and see how some of them feel. Thanks for your support.

17. Saved_in_Blood

Monday: Workout was just riding. I upped the resistance in an effort to get my numbers a little higher. I don't know why I always feel the need to test myself each time to do more. However, the results were as follows

same 70 min
    838 calories
    avg HR 153
    max HR 176
    distance 24.0 miles

Took off Tuesday, but last night I did a nice long bicep workout with 10 sets total. Starting with 3 sets of drop sets, 3 sets hammer curls 4 sets of lighter weight, but alternating between concentration curls to concentration hammer curls.... very sore today.
    Did my riding after that and wanted to keep an easier pace.

avg. HR 135
    max HR 159
    calories 723
    22.6 miles

Legs and biceps are pretty sore, so it's just a rest day with the right foods of course.

18. Saved_in_Blood

last night I was taking off from riding since I still was rather sore. I woke up at about 3 am and couldn't sleep, so I just got on the floor and did my push-ups. I did a total of 204 with each set to failure and a 1 minute rest period to keep my HR up. It wound up being a little over 20 minutes. Started with a pretty easy set of 30 reps close hand position and after a few sets was quickly dropping from 10-15 per set.

Also did some superman's for my lower back work. I am about to do some riding before bed.

19. Saved_in_Blood

I don't put everything on here everyday because many days it's the same. However, last night I changed my riding an added intervals to it as such.

70 total minutes

7 minutes at 135-145 HR (approximately 140-160 watts)
    3 minutes of 155-175 HR (approximately 200-240 watts)

Total calories were 831

Avg HR 139
    Max HR 180
    miles 23.6

I added the longer intervals because I want to keep the calorie expenditure at/or above 800 total.

20. Saved_in_Blood

Tonight was all push-ups

192 total of 16 sets @ rest intervals of 1 minute.

No, it's not that many and I'm sort of disappointed, but again, all of my push-ups must be done shoulder width and closer or my right shoulder really experiences a lot of pain the next day.

I will do a few sets of chair dips after a little bit of a rest to blast the triceps.

My overall goal is adding strength without adding much mass to my frame.