SIA License. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Southpaw535, May 6, 2015.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

At some point I'm getting around to a tax refund and it would be enough for me to do the SIA courses and get one of the licenses. I've toyed with the idea of moonlighting now and again on doors as some extra income, and through my gym I have plenty of contacts to get work there as opposed to the cctv badge.

My hesitation is I do not look anything like the stereotype for security, and I don't want to put a couple hundred down on the badge and then find no one wants to give work to a bespectacled 5'4, 66 kilo guy. I have been told I'd be fine to do a couple of events like music festivals a couple times a year and take home some money for an awful few days, but it doesn't work out worth putting down the cash for the badge. Its also far less flexibility than adding myself to the list of guys free to do general security work for the pubs and clubs round here.

I plan on talking to a few of the guys I know who do it and ask their opinions, but I also thought "bollocks, might as well ask MAP too" so there you are. Anyone with some experience of the whole thing who can suggest whether its an investment worth making or not?

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Can you get a security company to spot you the badge and take instalments out of your wages?

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Open up an ILA account and get it for free! Or is that only in Scotland?

4. David Harrison

In England you usually have to do a customer service course or something to get it free.

The ISA course isn't publicly funded, so they tag it on to a course that is.

They won't pay for your badge though.

5. Southpaw535

Possibly, but I assume they'd only do so for someone looking to take it as a full time job whereas I'd just use it to make extra money with uni and whatnot. Portsmouth is stacked with clubs as well so there's a lot of people round here with badges. I don't see much reason for a company to want to spot me for one.

I have no idea what that is :p Although David has already crushed that dream apparently.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I got my CP licence a few years back, which qualifies you for most security type work.

I'm like you: 5'3 (and a bit) and I was about 72kg/8% body fat at the time and I really struggled to get regular door work.

I think I had maybe two dozen gigs over a twelve month period, most of which were working security at music festivals.

My (lack of) height was a barrier to employment (even though I was a tank for my size).

Nobody will say to your face that being short will mean you're looked down upon (the pun is free), but it does happen and probably will to you too, unfortunately.

Most of my work was ontained through friends who knew me and vouched for me.

Things might be different these days, but not much.

7. David Harrison

It could just be one of those things for young people that I don't qualify for *grumble*, so worth checking out.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I've met a few Uni students working doors in Nottingham pubs recently, often have a friendly chat with them, and many of them aren't big guys by any means.

I don't know if this is a deliberate policy to employ friendlier faces, and it has only been at pubs, not clubs, but it may be a sign of changing times?

Mitch

9. David Harrison

I live round the corner from a street with most of Bristol's gay clubs and pubs on it. They tend to employ more women and smaller guys there.

In the centre where all the idiots drink they tend to be hench.

10. Southpaw535

I have heard some things about trying to hire more women on the basis that it is a friendlier face and moves things towards defusal and de-escalation rather than the old school bouncer kicking in an alley. Whether that idea extends to men or not I'm not sure. Personally if I was an employer I'd like the focus on defusal more than just hiring people who can break up a fight after it starts, but I'm not sure I'd think men were a good fit for it. Just because a drunk person getting rowdy would probably take a small guy doorman as a challenge he can take rather than a friendly person.

It does work well for event security I think, but clubs and pubs not so much.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

This is bang in the centre of Nottingham, but admittedly in the less fighty bars, I'm too old for that nonsense :D More craft beer or wine bar places rather than sticky floors, cheap lager and a punch up if that makes sense?

Mitch

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

kinda depends what you want to do with it and also what is your patience level with the public...

13. David Harrison

Mmmm... craft beers...

*checks time*

Could just make it to last orders...

...sorry Mitch, what were you saying? ;)

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

re: appearance: take the time to grow some shoulders and a bit of neck and arms, you'll look more the part even if you stay scrawny overall :p

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I think Mitch has a point; apply for jobs at the more upscale old farty type venues.

You'll have a better chance of getting a job and have less jerks to deal with.

Or you could go full Conor McGregor and go work at a squaddie bar. :p

16. HachiKuma

HachiKuma Valued Member

Around these parts (Cheshire set dahhhhling) the trend does seem to be for non-stereotypical doormen, so if you're looking at more upmarket places, it could be worth a shot.

Plus, make sure you've watched Road House!

17. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Southpaw is in Portsmouth, so there probably aren't many 'upscale' places. But lots of dives full of drunken sailors.

18. Southpaw535

How dare you!

Although that is pretty accurate. Sailors and students so the standards aren't high here :p

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Sailors? Might as well get a job in child daycare.

#ParaTilIDie

20. Southpaw535

One of the regulars at work agrees with the hash tag. The giant beer gut seem at odds with the ink and his now-too-small training vest though :p