Shu's Training Journal (or "Old Man Kung Fu")

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by InkyTommy, Nov 16, 2014.

1. InkyTommy

InkyTommy Unique Like Everyone Else

Kung Fu Sparring Time!

Great class tonight!

Us older students decided to slow things down a bit and focus on technique. This isn't to say we fought in slow motion. But rather, we throttled back the pace and focused on actually using moves from our style instead of falling back on what's comfortable.

As Sifu reminded us the name of our style, Mizhong Luohan means "Lost Track Fist Way". Deception and feints are a hallmark of what we do. By slowing down the pace, we were able to try some of those moves we learned in class (I know...novel idea, huh?).

It was a blast! All of us broke from our normal routines and used moves and techniques we normally don't.

I found myself using a wider variety of kicks more. In one round, I was able to break an opponents guard with an Outside Crescent Kick! Went straight up the middle and batted his rear hand away! Unfortunately, this was Sihing Mike, one of the most seasoned fighters in the class. He effortlessly used the momentum of my kick to rotate his body and bop me with a back fist.

But it also gave us a chance to be more cerebral in our fighting. We all used a lot more feints, fakes and jabs to open up our opponents and find our shots.

One of my classmates said he actually felt he worked harder tonight, because we weren't just reacting with the usual moves.

As a side note, think I finally found the key to not flinching!

Corny as it sounds...it's all in the breathing. We did a wall drill where my partner just threw punches at me and all I could do was block. I found myself flinching initially. As I did, I noticed my shoulders were tensing up. The more tense they got, the more I flinched. Finally, I just breathed all the tension out.

Suddenly, I felt like Neo in that last scene with Agent Smith, easily swatting away punches while my partner picked up speed.

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 580 calories, avg heart rate of 121 BPM, max heart rate of 173 BPM.
    -I was able to fake out my opponents by setting up a repetitive patterns and then breaking them. Sounds basic - and it is - but it's amazing how few of us in the class do it.
    -For instance, I do a thing where a throw a "jab kick" at someone's calf...just to annoy my opponent. After about the third time, when my opponent's expecting it, I'll throw a push kick, a roundhouse or step in with a punch.
    -Again, sounds basic...but it's easy to lose track of the strategy when we're all just wailing away at each other.

2. InkyTommy

Just because I hadn't been logging activity doesn't mean there wasn't any!

Monday, Oct 30th

Gym Time

-Inverted Rows - 2 x 10
    -Close Grip Inverted Rows - 2 x 10
    -Knuckle Push Ups - 2 x 10
    -BOSU Ball Push Ups - 2 x 10
    -Weighted Punches (7.5 lbs/arm) - 2 x 10
    -Heavy Bag - 15 min
    • Jab/Cross
    • Jab/Cross/Hook
    • Back Fist/Reverse Punch/Ridge Hand
    • Free
    Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 183 calories, avg heart rate of 102 BPM, max heart rate of 139 BPM.

Tuesday, Oct 31st

Kung Fu II Time!

Small class. Only eight people because most of the young 'uns were out Trick or Treating. So we had a chance to do some Epic Movie Level stuff that I didn't even know was part of our style!

Warm Up
    -High Heel Kicks
    -High Heel Kick, Jumping High Heel Kick
    -Inside Crescent Kicks
    -Inside Crescent Kick, Jumping Inside Crescent Kick
    -Outside Crescent Kicks
    -Outside Crescent Kick, Jumping Inside Crescent Kick

Technique
    -Horse Stance Four Punches
    Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 183 calories, avg heart rate of 102 BPM, max heart rate of 139 BPM.
    -Horse Stance Punch Kick, Jump Kick Punch
    -Dive Down, Kick Through, Kip Ups
    -Cyclonic Kick
    -Butterfly Kick
    -Dragon Wraps Around Pole (that's the name! I swear! See notes...)
    -Drop Side Kick
    -Dragon Lashes Tail (see notes)
    -Drop Side Kick Scissor Take Down

Bag Work
    -Jab, Jab, Jab
    -Jab, Jab, Cross
    -Jab, Jab, Cross, Hook (same hand as Cross)
    -Jab, Jab, Cross, Hook, Hook
    -Jab, Jab, Cross ,Upper Cut, Upper Cut
    -Jab, Jab, Cross, Hook, Hook, Upper Cut, Upper Cut
    -Jab, Jab, Cross, Hook, Back Fist, Hook, Back Fist

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 445 calories, avg heart rate of 113 BPM, max heart rate of 144 BPM.
    -"Dragon Wraps Around Pole" - Inside Crescent Kick, slide forward and drop on side, immediately kick into a Side Kick from the ground.
    -"Dragon Lashes Tail" - Same as above, except do a second side kick, scissor legs over to the other side and repeat the two side kicks while on the ground.
    -Bag Work. Four people around the bag, each one took turns executing the combo three times with one side. After the circuit was complete, we went around again with the other side. Repeated until Sifu told us to stop.

Today Nov 1st

Gym Time!

-Lat Pull downs (140 lbs) 4 x 10
    -Knuckle Push Ups - 4 x 10
    -Curl/Press Ups (25 lbs/arm) 3 x 10
    -Heavy Bag
    • Jab, Jab, Jab
    • Jab, Jab, Cross
    • Jab, Jab, Cross, Hook (same hand as Cross)
    • Jab, Jab, Cross, Hook, Hook
    • Jab, Jab, Cross ,Upper Cut, Upper Cut
    • Jab, Jab, Cross, Hook, Hook, Upper Cut, Upper Cut
    • Jab, Jab, Cross, Hook, Back Fist, Hook, Back Fist
    • Free combos
    Notes:
    Forgot to bring Fitbit :(

3. InkyTommy

Kung Fu II Time!

Rough class tonight. My hip was acting up again and it pretty much impacted my ability to do everything. Didn't help that Sifu mixed things up a bit and we got no stretching in.

-One Foot Stance - 10/side
    -Standing Leg Extensions - 10/side
    -Standing Side Kick Extensions - 6/side
    -High Heel Kick, Jumping Inside Crescent Kick - 6/side
    -Inside Crescent Kick, Jumping Outside Crescent Kick - 6/side
    -Spinning Outside Crescent Kick, Jump Spinning Outside Crescent Kick - 6/side
    -Scorpion Kick - 8/side
    -Double Scorpion Kick - 8/side
    -Side Kick, Hook Kick, Roundhouse Kick - 8/side
    -Back Fist, Side Kick, Jump Side Kick - 8/side
    -Front Kick, Back Fist, Straight Punch, Ridge Hand - 8/side
    -Front Kick, Back Fist, Straight Punch, Ridge Hand, Spinning Back Fist, Spinning Back Fist - 8/side
    -Back Fist, Front Kick, Low Scoop Kick, Roundhouse Kick - 8/side
    -Back Fist, Front Kick, Low Scoop Kick, Roundhouse Kick, Jumping Roundhouse Kick - 8/side
    -Sit Up Punches - 35
    -Back Extensions - 55
    -Forms: Staff

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 445 calories, avg heart rate of 113 BPM, max heart rate of 144 BPM.
    -Sifu worked with the Blue Belts on the Staff Form. He broke down every single move. It was educational, because there are a lot of subtleties we're missing when we rush through it.

4. InkyTommy

Gym Tyme! (from yesterday)

-Pull-Ups - 2 x 10
    -Close Grip Pull-Ups - 2 x 10
    -Tricep Push Ups - 2 x 10
    -Seated Shoulder Press (90 lbs) - 4 x 10
    -Horse Stance Squats - 2 x 10
    -Squats - 2 x 10
    -Straddle Splits - 3/side
    -Standing Splits - 3
    -Cobra

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 178 calories, avg heart rate of 101 BPM, max heart rate of 145 BPM.

5. InkyTommy

Kung Fu II Time!

Great class if for no other reason than all the stretching fixed my hip! Here's how it went down:

-One Foot Stance to Heel Thrust Kick and Hold - 10/side
    -Jump to Low Stance, Kick out into Split - 8/side
    -Mizhong Running Kick
    -Double Front Slap Kick
    -Running 45 degree Side Kick
    -Cyclonic Kick (God, I hate this one!)
    -Sit Up Punches - 25
    -Back Extensions - 35
    -Forms: Sam Lei Keun
    -Forms: Staff (Blue Belts)
    -Horse Stance: 4 min

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 356 calories, avg heart rate of 105 BPM, max heart rate of 144 BPM.
    -It might have helped that I did some warm ups before class started. I also did a little two minute horse stance with the li'l tykes when they were finishing up.
    -In any case, Low Stance, Kick to Splits were awesome! Loosened everything right up!
    -By the last set , I was actually able to get completely on the ground! Oh sure, my split was more like a hurdler stretch. But as Sifu says "Rome was not built in a day!"
    -I hate the Cyclonic Kick because it looks so cool, but I just can't seem to get it. It's really a question of breaking down the component moves. And there's just something I'm not seeing...

6. InkyTommy

Gym Tyme!

-Pike Push Ups - 2 x 10
    -Dive Bomber Push Ups - 2 x 10
    -Inverted Rows - 2 x 10
    -Inverted Row Chin Ups - 2 x 10
    -Weighted Punches (7.5 lbs/arm); Jab/Cross - 2 x 10/side
    -Weighted Punches (7.5 lbs/arm); Jab/Cross Moving Backwards - 2 x 10/side
    -Weighted Punches (7.5 lbs/arm); Upper Cut - 10/side
    -Heavy Bag - 1:30 min (no gloves)
    -Straddle Splits - 3/side
    -Standing Splits - 3
    -Cobra

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 211 calories, avg heart rate of 111 BPM, max heart rate of 147 BPM.
    -Gotta tell ya...mixing up the routine sure feels good!

Guitar Nado likes this.
  7. InkyTommy

Kung Fu II Time!

-One Foot Stance, Kick Extensions - 10/side
    -High Heel Kick, Jumping High Heel Kick - 8/side
    -Inside Crescent Kick, Jumping Outside Crescent Kick - 8/side
    -Heel Thrust Kick, Jumping Roundhouse (same leg) - 5/side
    -Heel Thrust Kick, Jumping Roundhouse (same leg), Other Leg Roundhouse - 5/side
    -Back Fist, Straight Punch (same arm) - 10/side
    -Back Fist, Back Fist, Straight Punch, Hook (same arm) - 10/side
    -Back Fist, Back Fist, Straight Punch, Ridge Hand (alternating arms) - 10/side
    -Back Fist, Back Fist, Jab, Cross, Jab, Upper Cut, Upper Cut, Hook, Hook - 10/side
    -Back Fist, Steal Step Back Fist, Spinning Back Fist, Spinning Back Fist - 10/side
    -Knuckle Push Ups - 10
    -Tricep Push Ups - 10
    -Spider-Man Push Ups - 10
    -Sit Up Punches - 25
    -Back Extensions - 35
    -Forms:
    • San Lei Keun
    • Staff
    • Keun Lei Keun
    • Nunchucks
    • Taijin Keun
    • Chong Keun
    -Form Technique: Sifu broke down the various moves from Taijin Keun and demonstrated their practical applications

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 528 calories, avg heart rate of 118 BPM, max heart rate of 163 BPM.
    -Really enjoyed the trip through the Form Way Back Machine! What's pathetic is that I hardly remember any of them completely. Definitely need to start drilling them again.

Guitar Nado and axelb like this.
  8. InkyTommy

Kung Fu Sparring Time!

My left hip was acting up again, but I decided to go to sparring anyway. Sometimes it's a good idea to learn how to fight through an injury.

Glad I went, though. It was another great class!

Again, we focused more on using the techniques of our style. We started out with Wall Drills (person against the wall defends against a partner). Then we moved on to "The Bull and Matador", which is effectively the same as the Wall Drill except we now have mobility. The first few rounds were hands only.

When we introduced feet, we moved to Point Sparring...my nemesis. Only this time...I actually won the round! My opponent was a young cat who's really flexible and strong, but he needed a little work on his technique. So I took advantage of that.

Sifu told me I have fast reflexes and a good eye for setting up shots. But several times, my kicks were too low. He also said I was using my whole leg in my kicks and not aiming with my knee first, which is slowing down my execution. I guess that's the old Muay Thai training kicking in (pun intended). I didn't even realize I was doing that, so that's great advice.

Wish I could blame that on the bum hip, but I probably that all the time.

Another classmate has developed a really strong guard, so I worked on breaking through it. He said I actually was able to get past him on several occasions, but I didn't follow it up with anything. Again...great advice! He and I decided next week, we're going to pick a form and work on "weaponizing" the moves.

So that's something to look forward to!

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 485 calories, avg heart rate of 123 BPM, max heart rate of 155 BPM.
    -Weird how the bum hip did not effect my mobility much. It did, naturally, impact my kicks. Didn't have a solid enough base for right leg kicks (which was the reason they weren't getting the height) and of course, left leg kicks were just out of the question.
    -The only way I could break my classmate's guard was to circle around and get inside. He has a devastating side kick that usually keeps me at length. But when I could get around and take a giant step in, I was able to neutralize it.
    -Of course, he caught to what I was doing and changed up his technique...eventually.

9. InkyTommy

Training Time!

A classmate and I decided for our next sparring class, we'd each pick a form and work those moves into practical techniques. Seeing as how I'm rusty on my forms, I put in a little practice today.

Warm Up:
    -High Heel Kick - 10/side
    -Inside Crescent Kick - 10/side
    -Outside Crescent Kick - 10/side
    -One Foot Stance - 5/side
    -One Foot Stance with Leg Extensions - 5/side
    -Standing Split - 3
    -Straddle Split - 3/side
    -Horse Stance Squats - 3

Forms:
    -Keun Lei Keun - Had to do it a couple of times just to remember it. Then a few more times with power. Finally a couple more times in a fighting stance to pull some practical strikes and blocks from it
    -Sam Lei Keun - Ran through it just once to keep it fresh

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 252 calories, avg heart rate of 101 BPM, max heart rate of 137 BPM.
    -I picked Keun Lei Keun at random just as a refresher. Still need to play around with it some more to find some good moves to use.

10. InkyTommy

Kung Fu II Time!

-One Foot Stance, "Heisman Pose" - 10/side
    -One Foot Stance, "Heisman", Kick out to Side Kick, Pump - 10/side
    -Inside Crescent Kick, Jumping Inside Crescent Kick - 8/side
    -Outside Crescent Kick, Jumping Outside Crescent Kick - 8/side
    -Inside Crescent Kick, Jump, Spinning Inside Crescent Kick - 8/side
    -Outside Crescent Kick, Spinning Outside Crescent Kick - 5/side
    -Outside Crescent Kick, Jump Spinning Outside Crescent Kick - 5/side
    -Horse Stance, Four Punches
    -Horse Stance, Punch, Kick, Punch
    -Horse Stance, Punch, Kick, Kick, Punch
    -Four Kicks
    -Cyclonic Kick
    -Sit Up Punches - 25
    -Back Extensions - 35
    -Forms
    • San Lei Kuen
    • Staff
    Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 397 calories, avg heart rate of 105 BPM, max heart rate of 137 BPM.
    -The "Heisman Pose" consists of lifting one knee up, turning to the side and holding it...as if getting ready to throw a side kick, or pose for the Heisman Trophy.
    -Sifu broke down all the component moves for the forms as there are a few transition moves we have a tendency to gloss over if we do them too quick.

11. InkyTommy

Training Time (or Fun with Forms)!

Pulled out the old Chong Kuen today. Shameful how little of it I remembered.

Warm Up
    -High Heel Kick - 10/side
    -Inside Crescent Kick - 10/side
    -Outside Crescent Kick - 10/side

Forms:
    Chong Kuen - Multiple times until I got it right. Then I pulled out a few moves that I could use in actual fighting
    -Sam Lei Kuen - Just to keep it fresh.

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 261 calories, avg heart rate of 99 BPM, max heart rate of 131 BPM.
    -By the way, here's what Sam Lei Kuen looks like.

-I look just like this when I do it except slower, older and not as flexible...which is to say, I look nothing like this. Seriously, this kid's good!

aaradia likes this.
  12. InkyTommy

-Kung Fu II Time!

-One Foot Stance, "Heisman Pose" - 10/side
    -One Foot Stance, "Heisman", Kick out to Side Kick, Pump - 10/side
    -Knuckle Push Ups - 10
    -Tricep Push Ups - 10
    -Inside Crescent Kick, Jumping Inside Crescent Kick - 8/side
    -Outside Crescent Kick, Jumping Outside Crescent Kick - 8/side
    -Inside Crescent Kick, Jump, Spinning Inside Crescent Kick - 8/side
    -Outside Crescent Kick, Spinning Outside Crescent Kick - 5/side
    -Back Fist, Running Front Back Fist, Straight Punch - 10/side
    -Back, Running Rear Back Fist, Straight Punch - 10/side
    -High Heel Kick, Rear Roundhouse, Jump Roundhouse - 10/side
    -Skip Side Kick, Jump Side Kick - 10/side
    -Skipping Side Kick, Jumping Side Kick
    -Side Kick, Spinning Side Kick
    -Roundhouse Kick, Spinning Heel Kick
    -Side Kick, Hook Kick, Roundhouse Kick
    -Jumping Spinning Rear Sidekick

Target Practice (see notes)
    -Jumping Spinning Rear Sidekick - 10/side
    -Jumping Spinning Rear Hook Kick - 10/side
    -Jumping Spinning Rear Heel Kick - 10/side

Forms
    Sam Lei Keun

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 436 calories, avg heart rate of 108 BPM, max heart rate of 144 BPM.
    -The Target Practice Drills were actually part of the Purple-Brown Belt rank test. The move consists of a two foot take-off reverse jump and kick.
    -Needless to say...this was a little beyond my meager Blue Belt skills. So while I gave it the Ol' College Try...I ended up just doing spinning kicks.
    -However, my training partner Sihing Curtis (a Purple Belt) broke down the moves for me. With a little practice on the component moves...I might be able to get it down!

13. InkyTommy

Kung Fu Sparring Time!

Good class. A lot of focus on point sparring since it forces us to use technique instead of just flailing around.

We started out with some warm up combo drills before gearing up to play some "Bull and the Matador".

Then we did Free Sparring with a twist - point sparring! We used the Honor System to keep track of points. Everyone was pretty honest. I did alright. I won some matches and lost some.

Then we divided up so us Older Students could take things up a notch. I didn't win any matches against the upper belts, but I did score quite a bit. I also lasted a fairly long time.

The main critique I got was that I don't follow through. I can get in, break the guard or counter a hit. And then I just...wait. And of course, I get tagged.

Sifu Alex jokingly told me "It's like once you're in, you're so amazed, you don't know what to do!"

But that's exactly what it is! I'm so used to getting schooled by these guys that I'm literally stunned when I have the upper hand. So that's something I have to work on. Just keep the combos coming until the Ref yells "Break!"

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 588 calories, avg heart rate of 120 BPM, max heart rate of 158 BPM.
    -My reaction time is getting much better. There were a couple of times I asked the guys not to slow it down on my account. All of them assured me they weren't.
    -So I'm able to block and counter a lot of their shots (the bruises on my arms and legs are testament to that!). I'm just not able to score points.

14. InkyTommy

Kung Fu II Time!

First day back after almost two weeks off. And just in time for the Rank Test on Saturday!

-Horse Stance - 4:30 min
    -High Heel Kick
    -Inside Crescent Kick, Outside Crescent Kick (alternating legs)
    -Jumping Front Slap Kick
    -Jumping Inside Crescent Kick
    -Jumping Outside Crescent Kick
    -Steal Step Side Kick, Jumping Side Kick, Jump Spin Side Kick
    -Four Kicks
    -Running Step Front Back Fist, Reverse Punch
    -Running Step Ridge Hand Ridge Hand
    -Running Step Rear Back Fist, Front Reverse Punch
    -Forms: Sam Lei Keun and Staff (Multiple times, Blue Belts only)

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 440 calories, avg heart rate of 101 BPM, max heart rate of 139 BPM.
    -None of us really had our forms down too well, so only a couple of people were given the green light to test. I was not one of them.
    -Actually Sifu asked if I felt I could get it together in the next couple of days and give it shot. But there was no way. Well, not with any degree of quality, anyway.
    -So I'll practice and get it really crisp for the next test early next year.

15. InkyTommy

Kung Fu Sparring Time!

Good class...nice and small. I'm guessing because the kids who are testing tomorrow decided to stay home and rest up.

Anyway, we spent time focusing on technique. So we started with the "Bull and Matador" drill and then did rotational Point Sparring.

After that, the "Big Kids" (read: "people over 30") broke off into our own group and did some more point sparring.

I felt pretty rusty, but I actually did okay. Scored points in every round instead of having the usual zero point shut out.

A lot of times, I'd just react. If someone came at me, I move around and start throwing combinations. Couldn't tell you what they were, but at least something landed.

Unfortunately, The Flinches are back. Had to force myself just to relax. Seems to be tied to me tensing my shoulders, but when I breath out the tension there things seem to be okay.

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 593 calories, avg heart rate of 129 BPM, max heart rate of 158 BPM.
    -I HAVE to get my kicks higher. So many times I'd get someone with a kick, only for it to graze their hip or thigh.
    -Need to start jumping rope again. That works wonders for footwork.

axelb likes this.
  16. InkyTommy

Gym Tyme!

Good news! I lost six pounds! Bad news! I think it was all muscle mass.:(

So, this was my first time back after too long a break. Need to punch up the Body Weight workout a bit. But in the meantime, this was total Napoleon Dynamite day...whatever I feel like doing! Gaaaah!

-Knuckle Push Ups - 2 x 10
    -Inverted Rows - 2 x 10
    -Reverse, Close Grip Inverted Rows - 2 x 10
    -Jump Rope 40 s
    -Heavy Bag - 2:00 min
    -Jump Rope 30 s
    -Heavy Bag - 5:00 min
    -Sam Lei Keun
    -Jump Squats - 2 x 10

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 205 calories, avg heart rate of 109 BPM, max heart rate of 146 BPM.
    -Really wanted to spend a little more time on Sam Lei Keun, but the yoga class started trickling in. Those women are vicious!

17. InkyTommy

Kung Fu II Time!

-Searching the Sea - 10/side
    -Searching the Sea Double Kick - 10/side
    -Lead Back Forward Kick (I'm sure it has a more elegant "Kung Fu-ey" sounding name) - 10/side
    -Sleeping Buddha (basically "Searching the Sea" but with as a side kick) - 10/side
    -Inside Crescent Kick, Jumping Spinning Inside Crescent Kick
    -Outside Crescent Kick, Jumping Spinning Outside Crescent Kick
    -Cyclonic Kick
    -Cyclonic Kick w/Two Foot Landing
    -Butterfly Kick
    -Skipping Side Kick, Jump Forward Side Kick, Spinning Side Kick
    -Figure Eight Spinning Side Kick
    -Sit Up Punches - 25
    -Back Extensions - 35
    -Forms: Sam Lei Keun (Blue Belts)

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 377 calories, avg heart rate of 102 BPM, max heart rate of 136 BPM.
    -A few of the Young 'Uns passed their Rank Tests and got their Blue-Purple Belts!
    -So Sifu is really working hard with those of us who remained to get us to the next level...which I'm really looking forward to.
    -The main reason I didn't test last weekend was that I'm just having difficulty with the mechanics of the Cyclonic Kick (I think I have The Four Kicks down...just need practice). So hopefully we start breaking those down in the near future.

18. InkyTommy

Gym Tyme!

Taking a page from the immortal Bruce Lee and doing a quick but efficient weight training workout. And as a bonus, only used the machines

-Lat Pull Down - 125 lbs - 2 x 15
    -Seated Chest Press - 110 lbs - 2 x 15
    -Standing Cable Curl - 40 lbs - 2 x 15
    -Standing Cable Tricep Press - 60 lbs - 2 x 15
    -Seated Leg Press - 110 lbs - 2 x 15
    -Seated Calf Press - 110 lbs - 2 x 15
    -Standing Splits - 3
    -Cobra Stretch

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 140 calories, avg heart rate of 103 BPM, max heart rate of 133 BPM.
    -The routine is similar to what Bruce Lee did with the Smith Machine (detailed in "The Art of Expressing the Human Body").
    -The weight should be about 60% - 75% your max for two (2) sets of 15 - 18 reps for a combination strength/endurance training. Didn't feel that hard while I was doing it...but it's sneaking up on me now!

19. InkyTommy

Kung Fu II Time!

-Nunchuk Jump Rope (just like it sounds, folks!) - 5/side
    -Outside Crescent Kick, Jumping Inside Crescent Kick
    -Steal Step Side Kick, Jump Spinning Side Kick
    -Back Fist, Ax Kick, Reverse Punch, Roundhouse Kick
    -Mizhou Front Slap Kick
    -Mizhou Inside Crescent Kick
    -Cyclonic Kick
    -Knuckle Push Ups - 10
    -Tricep Push Ups - 10
    -Back Bend Push Ups - 10
    -Sit Up Punches - 30
    -Back Extensions - 40
    -Forms:
    • Chong Keun
    • Sam Lei Keun
    • Tong Keun (new one!)
    Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 457 calories, avg heart rate of 118 BPM, max heart rate of 137 BPM.
    -Left hip is acting up again. Got to class late and didn't get a proper pre-warm up warm up in.

20. InkyTommy

Gym Fu

-Cable crossovers (30 lbs/side) - 2 x 15
    -Seated Row (105 lbs) - 2 x 15
    -Dumb Bell Curls (20 lbs/arm) - 2 x 15
    -Cable Tricep Press (60 lbs) - 2 x 15
    -Horse Stance Squats - 2 x 15
    -Standing Split - 3
    -Side Hip Stretch - 3/side
    -Standing Split - 3
    -Cobra
    -Sam Lei Keun (because why not?)

Notes:
    -Fitbit results from today: 176 calories, avg heart rate of 101 BPM, max heart rate of 134 BPM.
    -Worked on getting the motions down for the Four Kicks and Cyclonic Kick in Sam Lei Keun. Also worked on rotation and snapping out the punches. I know the form...I just have to make it look pretty.