Shuriken help!

Discussion in 'Koryu Bujutsu' started by birchy, Oct 26, 2011.

1. birchy

birchy New Member

Hi, I'm new here so I can't post in the official "Ninjutsu" thread so I thought I'd post here.

I've been going to a koryuu dojo for a couple of months now and I'd like to start learning how to properlly use shurikens, I've looked around but not many places sell shuriken as they are ilegal, I am aware bo shurikens are not illegal but I am yet to find a trustworthy site to buy some from...If anyone could recommend a site or a shop in or near Essex that would be great.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Why? they are archaic and unnecessary

You might as well just get some throwing knives or a set of darts

3. birchy

birchy New Member

I'm not sure why but they fascinate me, The reason I started doing Ninjutsu is because I was interested the samurai and their weapons.

4. Hannibal

5. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

It depends on the ryuha you are doing, as most ryuha have different designs of projectile weapon.

6. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Personally, I'd head off in a different (correct) direction immediately if you're interested in samurai weapons and methods.

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Because he's doing an art with a traditional base?

That's a bit like asking an iai practioner why he needs a sword.

8. Dean Winchester

Do you mean a Koryu dojo or a kouryuu dojo?

I ask because you mention Ninjutsu and that you ask about the Essex area.

If it's the former then perhaps you should wait until your teacher starts teaching you?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  9. Hannibal

Not exactly - shaken/shuriken are illegal in the UK and I still maintain throwing knives would be an acceptable substitute even if they are not 100% accurate

Shrikami Ikku Ken (sp?) believed golf balls were good substitutes and I would argue he knew more about shuriken than pretty much anyone

10. Dean Winchester

Bo shuriken are legal, last time I checked, and that is what birchy is after.

So there's no legal issue.

As for being archaic well they might well be but if he's studying a traditional system then having the appropriate weapon is relevant, it's not really about just throwing stuff at people.

As Steve said:

Ryu-ha will have different weapons and methods of deploying and using them, heck even differing ways of carrying, so having the right tool is necessary for your studies.

11. Hannibal

Fair enough...for some reason I got the sense it was more fanboyish than anything else.

Bo shuriken are basically throwing knives though aren't they?

12. Dean Winchester

13. Hannibal

14. Dean Winchester

Again it'll all come down to what birchy is training in.

Some substitutes may be suitable some may not, it may not simply come down to just throwing the weapon there could be other factors.

It might look the same but what about balance, weight, size, method of throwing etc?

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Just buy some rubber ones? Surely they will work just as well?

16. Hannibal

I would have thought that even amongst "official" shuriken there would be huge variation. the throwing technique would be pretty much universal though.

As I said earlier. my exposure to shuriken jutsu was only really through this book

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Shuriken-Do-Shirakami-Ikku-Ken/dp/B003TRFJJS"]Amazon.com: Shuriken-Do: Shirakami Ikku Ken: Books[/ame]

17. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

There are certain "universalities", if you will, but there are also distinct differences depending on characteristics of the specific weaponry involved, and the specific tactical usage in the Ryu-ha in question. It's like saying that there is variation in swords, but the technique is pretty universal... yes, but in a very real way, no.

18. birchy

birchy New Member

I'm pretty sure its Kouryuu as that's the warrior name of the guy who runs it but it could be Koryu, The website has the words "Bujinkan Koryuu dojo" and "Kouryuu dojo" on the same page describing the dojo so I'm not to sure.

19. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Firstly, I dont think they are archaic or outdated at all... If you are learning proper ninjutsu then the movements your teacher will show you on throwing shuriken should help your taijutsu as well.

Secondly, anything from http://www.budoweapons.com/Online Catalog/Thrown Weapons.htm will be great.

Thirdly, just make your own... Bo shuriken are practical (has more uses than just projectile), much more fun to throw, and are easy to make out of gutter nails, just make sure you square the tip.

If you wanna buy cheap ones, I recommend these: [​IMG]
    because they have a squared or triagonal tip (dont bend like the crappy cylindrical ones) and can be bought in bulk so you dont have to worry about losing them. They DO tend to snap in the middle though.
    http://superiormartialarts.com/cgi-....html&ORDER_ID=306242500&affiliate=!affiliate!

Stay away fromt his Naruto anime crap:
    [​IMG]

or any other "kunai" that has a big circle on the end.

And like I said earlier, stay away from "needle" spikes because they bend super easily:

[​IMG]

The cold steel one is also pretty awesome, but if you lose it, which happens a lot, its expensive to replace.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Torpedo-Rolled-handle/dp/B000BT1G4O/ref=pd_sim_misc_13"]Amazon.com: Cold Steel Torpedo Cold Rolled 5150 Steel handle with Black Matte Finish: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Good luck.

20. Dean Winchester

Yeah it's Norm's (Norman Smithers) place.

He's actually a member here.

Edit: Correction I got Norm's students mixed up it's Mr Paul Oldland who runs it now since Norm moved.