Shukokai karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by jgm, Jun 4, 2016.

1. jgm

jgm New Member

Hi all, new to the site, however have read a number of the threads in the karate section. I'm currently in the process of trying to find a club to begin training in karate. One club near me teaches Shukokai karate and another teaches Shotokan, however I'm massively drawn to the shukokai on a few things ive read on the clubs site. I was hoping someone could confirm I'm on the right track?
    What I think I know about shukokai:

Traditional kata's
    Emphasis on biomechanics
    Breathing and power heavily trained
    Point based sparring

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

Plenty of good Karate guys and girls here, so you should get some good advice.

3. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

You'll get all that in Shotokan as well.
    My best advise is to pop along to both clubs and see which feels better.

4. jgm

jgm New Member

Thanks mark, I plan to pop along to both, another thing drawn me to the club that's teaches shukokai is they seem to have a plot more addult class's(4 a week just for adult along with mixed class's) this sounded like a good deal to me.

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

If I remember rightly, there's more than one school of karate that calls itself shukokai, so the name doesn't give too much away. As Bassai said, as with any martial art, the best thing to do is try all the clubs near your house and stick with the one that you enjoyed training at most. What makes or breaks most people in their martial arts training is motivation, so the more you enjoy it the more motivated you'll be to get good.

6. rigsville

rigsville Shukokai Karate

I've been training in Shukokai for over 30 years and I've also trained with Shotokan, Wado Ryu Karate-ka.

Don't left the 'style' of karate define your training and study, as Bassai and Moosey have already said, pop along to each club and see what sort of vibe you get, if you can try a few classes at each club and see which one fits you, your personality, your calendar and your wallet!

Enjoyment of training will help you stick with it, no the style.

7. Marku85

Marku85 Valued Member

I was about to make a thread and then saw this post. I am considering to check out a Shudokai club in Edinburgh. Alternatively theres Goju Ryu.

http://shukokai.eusu.ed.ac.uk/coaches/

Thoughts?

8. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Got a link to the Goju club too?

9. Marku85

Marku85 Valued Member

10. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Thanks Marku.

As has already been stated above, your best bet would be to pop along to both, get a feel for them and their instructors, and decide from there which one you'd prefer, regardless of style.

That being said though, the FB page of the Goju club, does appear to be pretty kid/teenager heavy.

Good luck in your choice.

Travess

11. Marku85

Marku85 Valued Member

Yeah Travess I noticed that too , I'll perhaps check out the shudokai first , thanks !