Should you do pullups everyday?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DSDbronson, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Tyranith

Tyranith New Member

Your skin will slowly wrinkle, your hair may go grey, and you'll eventually die.

All from those nasty pull-ups, damn them all to hell! :cry:

2. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

You only train each bodypart once a week because it has time to heal, training it more than once isn't that much more beneficial if at all

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

So what you're saying here Count is that in 7 days you can only do upperbody once?
    I could only do bench press work once in 7 days? Anything more and it wouldn't have any benefit?

I think you'd better ante up some citations or references because I don't think it exactly works quite like that.

4. TheCount

For example Chest and Triceps, Back and Biceps, Legs...

Go ahead and bench press as heavy as you can with perfect form 4 times a week... after 3 weeks I'm guessin if you are in fact going as heavy as you can you'll onl be benching about 60% of your original figure. Muscles need to heal, even for the big steroid stoked bodybuilders. Even Jay Cutler and Ronnie train each bodypart once a week.

For pullups yeh you could do them twice a week fair enough but you need to ask yourself how much benefit your getting outta them. Are you able to do more and more and more, or are you just getting less and less...

5. slipthejab

What you're talking about is body building workouts. errmm... who cares? What bodybuilders do has little if any carry over to martial arts or to functional strength. Big compound movements can utilize the same muscle groups more than once a week an be just fine.

If you are training for muscular endurance you can easily do pullups more than once a week and increase your muscular endurance. And no you won't be endangering yourself.

If you're benching 60-70% of your max you don't need 7 days to heal between workouts... and there is such a thing as active recovery. It's not as if you bench and then relegate your pectoral muscles to the non-use category for the next 7 days! :D

6. TheCount

Im guessing you didn't read a single word of that. Fundly enough I believe a lot of the workouts some of the H+F mods give out dont involve compounds half a hundred times a week... I wonder why i bother

7. slipthejab

Because your post was rubbish and had little relevance to MA relevant workouts. Trying to come in talking about Coleman Cutler as if they're doing the workouts that most people in MA's are interested in. Don't try to shore up your misinformation by trying to paint is as though anyone suggested that you do half a hundred compounds in a week. No one did.

Yes, sometimes I wonder why you bother to post the stuff you do. Hopefully you'll wonder hard enough to think before you post.

'Nuf said.

8. TheCount

You really did miss the whole point of the Coleman Cutler thing, nevermind.

Go do pullups 18 times a week cos slip is right

9. JKNEIEIOMMC

JKNEIEIOMMC New Member

Scientific studies show that the body can heal from an exercise with 48-72 hours depending on the intensity. A training program and its frequency depends on the goals of the individual.

If your body recovers in 48 hours studies show that if you wait a week before training again then your gains will not be as significant as you trained as soon as your body had healed. In order for your body to develop you need to stimulate your muscles on a regular basis (obviously not while suffering from DOMS) not once a week.

Not being cheeky towards you COUNT but I notice in your profile that you are only 15. Try training in different ways for a good number of years and see how your body changes and adapts to each style of training then comment on whats best. Remember health and fitness principles are mainly just generalisations as not everyone is physiologically identical therefore what works for you might not work for me.

To truly understand something you have to experience for yourself rather than just read a magazine or book about it.

10. TheCount

Why the hell does everyone think im only 15, IM NOT

And i do have SOME experience about it... I've gained a reasonable amount of muscle thanks

11. slipthejab

LOL! :D

Hilarious!

12. JKNEIEIOMMC

JKNEIEIOMMC New Member

Why put your date of birth in as 1990 then if your not 15? That and the way you are replying to peoples post on here suggest you are young with the huffy comments.

Yes you may have gained some muscle mass, but are you in getting the best possible gains from your training, is your technique right is your diet right etc. Even if an uneducated person started lifting weights regularly they will start to put muscle on simply because they are stressing the muscles and stimulating them but it doesn't mean they know best or are getting the best possible results.

Have your mind like a parachute! It always works best when open!

13. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

According to your profile, you're 14.

14. TheCount

WTH, lol. Methinks the globies have been fiddling my account again. My 17th is in Novemeber lol...

I am open minded lol... just all i get some slip is sarky and jib. I've been training for over a year, I know about diet etc. I haven't made the best gains possible because of the amount of cardio and everything i;ve had to do however dont write me off because im 'young'.

15. TheCount

It's all irrelevant anyway Slipthe Jab is right, doing pullups 18 times a week will benefit you

16. slipthejab

Count, you start your whining everytime you get called on the carpet to back up something. Come on bro - after you posted that there was gene removal for women but not men as a cure for eczema... I tend to suspect much of what you post is made up. :D

Your above post is a classic example of why people think your fifteen. I never said anything about doing pullups 18 times a week. That's just more of your shirt being raised because I called you to put or shut up in regards to what you post.

Again - it's an easy enough issue - it doesn't take the body 7 days to heal a muscle group that you work out with weights. Which is what you're on about. Which is not true and you can't back it up with anything relevant... which makes it what? Yup... rubbish.

Get it yet?

17. JKNEIEIOMMC

JKNEIEIOMMC New Member

Training for over a year. Good! But try training for ten years or more then come back and make a constructive comment. Without life experience you having nothing but something that someone else wrote in a book or magazine.

Do you think Bruce Lee trained for a year and thought "right thats it, I know everything and will stick with this particular training regime". No, even till the day he died he was constantly testing out new theories and trying to get the most from his body.

All everyone is saying on here is if you are going to make a comment, have the evidence to back it up and when someone challenges your statement don't act like a spoilt kid.

18. nobelt

nobelt Valued Member

Some specific workouts are best done no more than twice a week such as full body routines that include rigourous squatting and intensive deadlifting. Not only do your muscles and lower back need recovery but your central nervous system.

That is if you are trying to progressively increase the weight you are lifting in the long term.

19. TheCount

I dont mind people challenging what I say but whent they do it impolitely like slip sometimes does I don't appreciate it. And im hardly as you descreibe, you don't know me so don't judge me.

20. slipthejab

ah shuckum wuckums... ok County wounty... I come offering warm fuzzy wuzzy's... you can cuddle and hug my care bear for a bit while I gently whisper my questions about your post into your tender and nubile ears.

:D