Should you do pullups everyday?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DSDbronson, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Tyranith

Tyranith New Member

I think the fact that hundreds and thousands of people practise pullups is pretty much your answer. No one here has ever had an injury as a direct result of practising pullups (other than maybe falling off :D)

The only thing I can find about pullups being dangerous, is doing them behind your back- ie like a lat pulldown but with your weight going up.
    This guy says that:
    To be honest it wouldn't surprise me. Behind the neck pulldowns have always felt a little awkward and I don't really like doing them. I've never ever heard of anyone say that they were dangerous before, though, so he may just be talking out of his south end :)

2. nobelt

nobelt Valued Member

Behind the neck pulldowns or pullups can be dangerous to some but not all. I dont think its a typical instant injury but over long term can cause shoulder problems in the rotator cuffs etc. Obviously people still do this and get away with it but depnds how safe u want to go.

As for normal pullups cant see how they are dangerous but i would say doing them everyday would not be as productive as doing them 2-3 times a week or even once a week if u want to hit them hard and ensure full recovery.

3. fixationdarknes

fixationdarknes Valued Member

Why would you? You do understand that your muscles grow when you're resting, right? So, if you were to do pullups everyday, your muscles would never actually grow...you would just overtrain and not get very far.

I do pullups once a week, but I'm figuring that twice a week wouldn't hurt but don't kill yourself with crazy volume.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL! :D
    Look at where those poor slobs are now! Everyone of them would happily leave the quagmire that is Iraq if they could come back and do some 'lethal' pullups.

BWHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!:D

Why don't you just start a thread informing everyone just how D3AdL33 pullups are. :D

Where are your studies? :confused:

What kind of control groups did you use? :confused:

Were the result published in peer review journals? :confused:

How big was your cross section's of your tests? :confused:

Did you take into account gender? :confused:

Can post some of the US Military studies that support your assertions? :confused:

errmm... to be honest most here bascially couldn't give a rats ass what the military does. They aren't exactly on the cutting edge of physical training science in case you hadn't guessed it.

If you're so hot to trot about military workouts then why not enlist? :bang:

5. DSDbronson

DSDbronson Master of Sports & Women

ehhh, whatever, the two posts before yours were what I was looking for

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Just found this... oops.. maybe DSD Bronson is right after all!!! :eek:

Attached Files:

7. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

8. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

LMAO HAHHAHAHAHHAA

DSD you need to undertake in 2 missions.

1. Read what slip wrote
    2. Stop saying "gung ho"

Pull ups are a great exercise, no one cares what the military prescribes or writes off. As slip already mentioned, the military is far from the leading source of information on health and fitness, so dont get yourself too worried about what they do. Just as a side note, I live in california and see marines all time time, most of them can hardly do pullups. If pull ups were a determining factor in entrance to the military, we would have a military consisting of a few thousand troops.

9. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Train each bodypart once a week, translated as Just do pullups once a week !

10. Damn - beat me to it. I was going gungho about getting that point in and you beat me to it.

11. fixationdarknes

Wanna explain why? I doubt anyone who trains with big compound movements only works each bodypart once a week, because compound movements like squats, deadlifts, cleans, snatches, etc. work almost your whole body. And it's smart to train with lifts like that because you'll benefit from them more than doing bicep curls and french presses all day.

But that's not that important to this thread.

The military is not god. Because they do this or that doesn't mean we should do this or that.

12. DSDbronson

I didn't say the military did pullups once a week. I said they bareley do them if that. It's the people on this board and Gracie&Strom's Superfit and others I assume that are saying once a week.

13. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with doing them once a week. If you removed any exercise from your program that could in any way be dangerous, your program would consist of lying as perfectly still as you could, preferably sleeping. Eating should probably be eliminated too, as you could choke on a chicken bone, inhale some water, or get mad cow disease by accident.

Except that wouldn't work.

14. Tyranith

Tyranith New Member

Ahahahaha, absolutely golden :D

15. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I have a confession to make: I have done pull-ups more than once a week!

Am I risking my health?

Will I go blind?

Would someone please reassure me!!! :eek:

16. DSDbronson

You may lose bladder control but I'm not a 100% sure about this or at what stage it occurs. Watch it, ok.

17. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I don't care waht the milatary says, there obviously using old school methods as opposed to whats best, with the 100's of situps and pessups.....

Pullups are a great strength exercise. BUT maybe its more about the miltary prefering soldiers to work on endurance than strength. Soldiers being more likely to need to run and use a gun than need to rely on their physical strength :confused:

18. nobelt

nobelt Valued Member

Once a week might not necessarily be the most productive but certainly better than everyday.

You wouldnt bench press, squat and deadlift everyday so why do pullups everyday.

19. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I tend to treat pullups like anything else where I can't do 3 sets of 8.

I ignore them, they are clearly bad for my health and will damage me in the long run.

USA! USA! USA! USA!

20. fixationdarknes

Does the military do military presses?