Should we stop calling people 'overwieght'?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Thelistmaker, May 30, 2012.

1. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

So does the increased medical costs outweigh the savings in pension later because the fatties will die from a heart attack? Perhaps you should be thanking them for saving you tax money. :)

No reason for anyone to tread on eggshells. Your post just made it sound as if you were defending your right to say whatever you wish to anyone that is overweight. I was pointing out that it wasn't necessarily a good idea.

2. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

I already pay insurance for MAs

should I get insurance for Mcdonalds aswell

3. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

That was never my point in the first place. :/

My point was simple. We should not have to tread on egg shells around the subject of calling someone overweight when they are. There's enough ridiculous political correctness in this world (I have to call a blackboard a chalkboard now? "Ba ba black sheep" is racist? Need I continue?) without adding more stupidity to it because some people are overly sensitive about not being able to look after themselves properly.

Never once have I ever stated any right to insult someone/random people, or any obligation to do so. I don't agree with bullying. Simply that I will not pull punches if someone needs a good kick up the backside to sort themselves out.

And regardless of how some people may feel about that, that's just what some people really need. An eye opener. Sometimes no amount of wrapping them up, serving it to them softly, will do anything. Some people simply do not want to do anything about their problem and realise little the affect it is having on themselves or their loved ones.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  4. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Yep, a few years ago when I was feeling down about getting older, and bullied by work into seeing Occupational Health I resented some lardy **** who physically was in a lot worse shape than I presuming to lecture me on health issues. I think there is a case that in some jobs you should be seen to practice what you preach

5. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

God if this was the case 99% of physiotherapists would be out of a job. We always have a handful that show up to seminars (strength training, MSR, AIS etc.) and they are always the biggest pain in the ass... 8 million questions and opinions and yet you look at them and...

crap posture
    terrible movement/uncoordinated
    generally weak/overweight/lack of muscle tone
    overly opinionated from the academic standpoint

It's like wtf.... and they want to interrupt the lecture on a guys who usually older than them yet 10X as fit and supple and mobile. Every single time I see someone who's got crap posture and exudes an overall air of 'not with the program' in terms of being strong or mobile... dollar to a dime... it's always a physio. Ugh. :bang:

There's no way in hell I'd let some of these muppets deal with any issue I had.

7. finite monkey

[​IMG]

Irelands ex Health Minister lol

She always managed to cut weight before an election

Though in fairness her male fellow polititians are not as objectified half as much and many of them are just as fat!

8. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

If they are indeed costing the NHS a significant amount of money each year then yes.
    However I doubt that's the case.

9. slipthejab

My guess would be that those people who do train - whether that's strength training, adventure racing, martial arts etc. would end up in the long run costing the NHS less overall than those who don't partake in activities like that. Just a guesstimate... as I've not actually seen any numbers... but my guess is they are less of a burden over the course of say 20 years than someone who has a sedentary lifestyle and ends up having to deal with carpal tunnel syndrome, back problems, heart disease and all the other problems that modern office-worker life foists on people.

High carb/sugar diets, sitting all day at work, sedentary weekends either on **** ups or in front of the tele at home = fat unhealthy people = massive burden on the NHS.

Just a thought.

10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Don't think it'll be right that it'll only be the ginger people left to make fun of

11. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Healthy, fit people who have traumatic accidents tend to recover quickly and bounce out of hospital. Makes them nice and cheap to care for. Unhealthy people who suffer chronic conditions with repeat admissions over a period of years are not cheap to care for at all.

12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

My instinctive answer is no and yes. I have little if any sympathy for these people and in my experience they have little to no awareness of how offensive the things they say and they way they behave can be to other people.

I think we should however stop beating around the bush and stop being so PC. The whole reason terms like over-weight and obese came into regular use was because calling them fat was considered offensive. And now we can't even be polite about the issue?

Frankly there are some people in the world who will have low self-esteem just because they have to wipe their own backsides. Pandering to the eccentricities of these people does not make their problems go away. Wrapping them in cotton-wool will not help them lose weight. Avoiding the subject just makes the problem worse.

Call these people out for what they are. Fat and selfish.

13. JayneDoe

JayneDoe New Member

From a healthcare provider

That's a really interesting topic and I never heard of that before! As a healthcare provider myself, unfortunately being overweight, obese, or even morbidly obese are all too common. There are medical criteria to meet these descriptions and they are there for good reason: to diagnose and develop proper management for a health hazard.

It has been extremely rare where I could pinpoint a tangible organic cause for obesity that is not due to behavior (e.g. Cushing's disease). Often it is a result of behavior...but where does the behavior come from? Many patients have underlying psychiatric conditions which research shows does have some neurochemical basis. Or perhaps it is an economic issue and they can only afford low quality food? But why are they less well off to begin with? There are infinite possibilities and I try not to judge...as tempting as it may be sometimes.

Regardless...any excess weight is the foundation for many medical disorders like diabetes, arthritis, psychiatric consequences, cardiovascular events, even complications in pregnancy to the fetus. I'm sure there is a lighter way of addressing this...but at the end of the day, people need to accept the truth. It is only for their own benefit when it is addressed.

Edit: and well...I guess losing the weight would be a courtesy to others who pay taxes and for health insurance to cover the healthcare costs of preventable outcomes

Edit 2: Reminds me of some interesting Medicaid patients I have seen. Some have done very outrageous things while under drugs and/or alcohol, leading to major medical interventions that we pay for...I remember people who have swallowed various foreign bodies that were too big to um...pass through the other end, so they needed exploratory laparotomies =/

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  14. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

My mom's a teacher and she has taught students with prader willi syndrome. the part of the brain that tells you when you are full doesnt work. So these poor people can eat all day and still feel like they're starving. Its a sin. This is rare though. as you said most overweight is caused by lifestyle.

15. slipthejab

Fat comfortable westerners with access to empty-carb heavy diets, portions that should feed a team not an individual and 64oz or more of sugar laden soda or whatever.

And now I have to watch my language around them because they pay sod-all attention to how they treat their bodies. Fat slobs. I could care less if they are offended. I'm offended... I'm offended that I should have to tip-toe around their crap lifestyle, their lack of self control and self discipline... what an absolute scam. I'm offended at all the poor little kids who see them and take it as normal that people should be obese. Setting the kids up to follow the same path because it's socially acceptable to be a fat slob.

Please... go cry me a river and then jump in it.

There are bona-fide medical reasons for being fat... and I suspect some people are heavily genetically predisposed to being obese... but I reckon that percentage is very small in comparison to the fat slobs who can't get out of 7-11 and McDonalds and out of knee high tights and oversized t-shirts and flip flops because they little self respect and even less self control. Absolute rubbish that I should have to change my language to accommodate this lot.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  16. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Attached Files:

17. slipthejab

hahahahaha... embarrassing. Poor lass... hahaha that's been enshrined in eternity by the internet. :D

18. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

went to my friends baby shower.....and there was one of her friends and OMG....she must weight about 330 pounds....holy crap. and my overweight friend is smaller than her.

19. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Yeah, I can't say I feel much sympathy for people who are fat unless they have a medical issue that causes this. The majority of fat people are fat because of poor lifestyle choices and they take up medical professionals time with problems caused by their weight making it harder to see a doctor.
    There was an article in the paper on Sunday with a woman who was overweight but about the average for Australia. There were alot of people saying she isn't overweight she is just normal. It's frightening when the world has gotten so overweight they can't even tell what a healthy body shape is. :(

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  20. finite monkey

And we have at the other end of the scale girls (and some boys) who see themselves as normal/beautiful when they admire thier emaciated skeletal frame in the mirror.

Personally I would never call any one fat as I am far to polite, though I would think it to myself, feel disgust and loathing for them

Comfort eating is the root cause of fatness, and this stems from the way a baby is fed. If a baby is fed every time it is upset (when it crys), then it is no surprise that that same adult will head to the fridge when feeling down

Conversly force a baby or child to eat when it does not want to eat is sure to give that adolecent/adult severe control issues around food and eating

Obesity/annorexia are mental health issues and should be treated as such