Should we stop calling people 'overwieght'?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Thelistmaker, May 30, 2012.

1. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

The problem isnt that she doesn't know what to eat, that could be easily fixed by spending one day learning. The problem is she cant be bothered to learn and would rather just be unhealthy.

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

It's highly likely she will just pass on her food ignorance to her kids. I first learned about food and cooking for myself by going to Uni and trying to live on about £10 a week for food (This was 1987-90). It was a combination of lazy stuff I knew from home and copying other students. Took a while for me to phase out the bad foods but nothing at that age was going to make me fat while I was doing upto 2 hours training 5-6 days a week. The only time I really started to notice this was in my late 30s when I wasn't doing any MA or anything very physical, a bit of dance but not enough to counter the amount I was eating which wasn't a lot, probably around 3k calories but I had to do something, started with a running group, then joined a gym, started ninjutsu, around when I turned 40. It all helped. I did some sessions with a personal trainer, and well I'm not disrespecting them but I've managed better on my strength goals by training myself but I did get some decent accessory exercise, some which I still do 2 years later and changed a lot of my eating habits, times, types of food and portions. People need to take some responsibility for their bodies, unless you are working in some sweatshop or commuting insane distances I can't see how there isn't time to treat your body right.

3. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

likely. and that sucks.

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Unfortunately in life you will come across people who don't want to listen to the constructive way. Sometimes it's the big harsh bump back down to reality that opens their eyes.

Sometimes you have to break something to fix it. It's called tough love.

And with that in mind we can apply that to opinions too. :)

5. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

here

The number of fat cells in your body is decided by the age of one

The size of these cells increases or decreases as the body lays down stored energy or metabolises it

if you make your baby fat, that person will always struggle with thier body shape

Parents of fat children should be held accountable, and be dealt with like any other child abuser

6. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

And what makes you think you should fix it? If it's your children, then it's tough love. If it's some random stranger, then it's intrusive and rude. If it's Texas, it's likely to get you shot. :)

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

tough love IS constructive criticism. if it isn't, then it's just being a rectal orifice, and what many people consider tough love is just as deserving of being first answered with a punch to the face and subsequently ignored as it is of being taken into account.

8. Blade96

Indeed. And my friend knows she's overweight. I dont need to say any more.

Its like people who smoke. They know its unhealthy. All you do by bringing it up all the time is annoy them. Its why i dont harp on them. My aunt's bf who took up smokin again did it cause of stress. Its a killer. He knows its not good, i could hear it in the voice when he told me 'i took up smokin again' and not with pride, either. All harping on them will do is push em away.

9. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Well, in the US, you're right. Here I pay for everyone's health care with my 50% tax rate.

10. Blade96

Think I had also better mention that my friend is good about her pregnancy and avoding alcohol and all that stuff. I do realize sh may not make her son have bad eating habits, because I do realize that many people who slack pre kid become more conscious of stuff post - kid. She might be oone of those.

Just thought I'd mention that because she is, really, a VERY good person. :) Her husband, too. :) Absolute sweeties. :)

11. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

If you read the article it says she is from WALES. Funny enough i thought of whales when i saw her picture too.

12. adouglasmhor

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/24/overweight_live_longer/

13. Axelator

14. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Yes, I am in the habit of walking up to random people I've never met before and saying "hey you fat Laminaria japonica" :rolleyes:

I have no obligation to do anything. I just won't tread on eggshells because someone might be overly senstive to being called "overweight".

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2012
  15. Ros Montgomery

Ros Montgomery Valued Member

Do you think people who do other things that potentially could increase their burden to the NHS should pay extra tax? Things like, oh I don't, contact sports/martial arts, say. :evil:

16. adouglasmhor

Go on explain.

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Nope - there should be mandatory insurance for such things

18. Ros Montgomery

Ros Montgomery Valued Member

Then you would have to roll that out across all sports, as an amateur footballer (for example) is just as likely to end up in ED as a martial artist. On the other hand, not exercsing regularly can cause health problems so what then, higher taxes for non-exercisers? Where do you stop with it? Should mandatory insurance be in force for other dangerous things too, how about DIY? Anyone who drinks more than recommended is likely to cost the NHS money - mandatory insurance for drinkers or extra tax?

19. Axelator

Ok I'm pretty sure I could make a longer list but this is just what strikes me right away about that data.

- I said if you're fat then you're not as healthy as you could be. You linked to BMI data which is concerned with weight not fatness.

- Correlation isn't the same as cause. Just because people with higher BMI happen to live longer doesn't mean them living longer has anything to do with their BMI. Maybe middle class people are more likely to have higher BMIs due to more money to spend on food and also likely to have acess to healthier foods, better healthcare and better general knowledge about looking after themselves. There are hundreds of factors involved.

-This is linked to the above point. The sorce you took this from is a rubbishy news site. A journalist has taken data, seen the correlation then tried to pass it off as some sensationalist story cos that's what people want to hear. If you're really interested go on a database like Pubmed and find peer reviewed articles not some rubbishy news site.

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The beer is already taxed, as is the tobacco so I don't always buy the "costs the NHS more" argument

As for insurance across all sports...yep, I would go with that.