Should we stop calling people 'overwieght'?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Thelistmaker, May 30, 2012.

1. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

If they don't like the truth then they should use that as motivation to get something done about it.

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

That's all very well, but negative reasons to work out are much weaker than positive ones.

3. Unreal Combat

I've never been one to wrap people in cotton wool.

4. Knight_Errant

well then, if you can't say anything nice- shut up ;)

5. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

'You've never been one to wrap people in cotton wool.' So, you don't agree with his suggestion because it's not in your nature?

6. Knight_Errant

But, more maturely, it's not about 'wrapping people in cotton wool'. It's about giving them a vision of what they want to be rather than focusing on what they are. The first step to doing anything is believing you can do it, man.

7. Unreal Combat

I'm not saying anything horrible, just voicing my opinion. So don't tell me to shut up.

That would be correct. I don't agree with his suggestion. I see no point in treading on egg shells because people are overly sensitive.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  8. Knight_Errant

Anyway, my point is this- calling people fat is a good way to keep them that way. It's not like I'm saying you should say they're skinny and beautiful, just don't ride them down all the time...

9. Prodigal Gil

Prodigal Gil Valued Member

I guess you are also not in Management!

10. Unreal Combat

I run my own business.

11. Prodigal Gil

Prodigal Gil Valued Member

I am also guessing your rational and analytical decision making skills is based on your natural response.

How about the human trait of Empathy?

12. Unreal Combat

Nope, facts.

What about it?

13. Knight_Errant

Now hold on a second here, empathy is crap. I scored very low on the assesment for empathy when I was assessed for autism at cambridge, and I've always got on perfectly well without it. Sod empathy.

14. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Whilst I'm sympathetic to people being overweight etc. I'm against banning what is really just accurate language.

The truth hurts sometimes, and that's just too bad. People generally need to HTFU.

15. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

AMEN Brother! I've been saying this for years. It seems like such a simple solution that I can't believe it hasn't already been implemented

16. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

I'm with unreal on this issue I think. For the past few years there has been a huge trend of people being condemned for labelling others. But this is what we do. It is in our nature, and it is perfectly acceptable to label others. Using that as a ground for bullying isn't, and there should be a line drawn there, but to think that now calling somebody overweight is an insult, when in fact it is a more tactful way of saying that they are fat, is ridiculous.

We do have some arbitrary idea of what an ideal body shape is; whether people like it or not it is in our minds, and is a product of our environment. If people fall above or below that, then by that arbitrary standard they are abnormal. But, a lot of people whom are trying to be forward thinking are very often the first people to point out somebody's weight. Take Adele for instance. A very talented and beautiful woman, yet I continually read how she is an example of how somebody can be beautiful yet not conform to the popular stereotype of beauty. But, nobody brought the issue up until it was mentioned by these people.

When it comes down to it, if somebody calls you fat or overweight, does it really matter. I started balding at a pretty young age, and people comment in it all the time. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, because I'm happy and confident in how I look. However, if it did bother me, then tough titties, as far as im concerned. If it bothered me so much, i'd do something about it, like wear a hat.

17. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

While there are certainly somecultural drivers of 'beauty', 'healthy' is pretty much objective.

Wearing a burka vs a mini-skirt it culturally driven, getting diabetes and heart problems is not caused by deviations from cultural norms.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The thing is...90% of fat people know they are fat.
    Doesn't matter how someone else would describe them.

19. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

It's been one of those days, so it's rant time boys and girls! ...

First, for the 20 somethings whining about how people shouldn't be overweight ... wait until you hit your 50s. :) When you have to carefully watch everything you eat, and how many beers you allow yourself because your metabolism has slowed so much. When you need to work out more, but your bad shoulder and bad knees severely restrict how much working out you can do. I had no problems maintaining a healthy weight until I hit my 40s. After that, a little care was all it took until I was in my 50s. Now it's a constant struggle with no clear winner yet.

Second, for all of those tossing out various scapegoats (it's the parents, it's the media, it's packaged food, it's the sugar ...) stop making excuses! Here are a couple of things that I always told my Boy Scouts when they started making excuses ...
    1) Nobody can MAKE you do anything. Anything you decide to do is your decision, and only your decision. The consequences of your decisions can vary wildly, but the decision is still yours. This is truth, whether you're a 10 year old kid, or a 50 year old man. You make your decision, then you deal with the consequences. Society today wants everyone to believe otherwise, as that makes a populace much easier to control. If you choose to believe that the consequences for your decisions are due to something else, then that's your decision, and you have to face the consequences of it. :)
    2) Making excuses means you've screwed something up. You never have one without the other. Whenever you find yourself blaming someone or something else for a decision you've made, stop and figure out why you feel that you made the wrong decision. People that feel they are in the right never need to make excuses.

Third, for those close-minded people that are offended by someone else's weight, hair, clothes, car, lifestyle, sexual preference, etc ... stop whining! The world is full of individuals with their own ideas and outlooks. Just because someone is different than you doesn't make them worse or better, just different. If you're offended by someone's difference, then you really should stop and think about why your self-esteem is so low that you have to attempt to put down someone else to make yourself feel better. Your personal self-esteem hinges on you and your decisions, not on anyone else. If it is that low, then you should examine your decisions to determine why they've made you feel badly about yourself.

OK, I feel better now. :)

20. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

'fat' isnt an insult. but fatty is.

Please dont twist things. It isnt the truth that would hurt people's feelings, its how you say it. There's a right way to tell truth - its called constructive criticism.

My friendknows she is overweight. I dont have to say it.

She did have an operation done to help her but it didnt work. Why? I know why, cause i have known her for about 12 year now. The problem is that she doesnt know how to eat properly. and yeah it sucks that she didnt take me and my mom's offer to help her, my mom reads up on all this stuff, or else visit a dietician who can help. But what can you do.

and she's gonna give birth in a month :eek:

i worry, because if she doesnt know how to properly feed herself how will she know what to feed her son?

Last edited: May 31, 2012