Should Silva make the move to K1?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Yukimushu, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

After Wanderlei Silva's disagreement with the judges result after his fight against Hunt, there have been a lot of rumours flying around that K1 are about to offer him a multi-million dollar fight contract.

I'm just curious as to what your feelings are about this; should he go or should he stay?

If he were to make the move to K1, what effects do you feel this would have on Pride?

Surely Pride would suffer, having now lost 2 excellent fighters to K1.

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Yes Pride would suffer but in a way it would be an opportunity to bring up new and upcoming fighters...who knows, we may have some one better to come? :)

3. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

They've got a few new fighters appearing. There's a new sumo by the name of Ashoryu who has recentally been signed to Pride; but obviously non as popular, or as talented as Silva.

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

I dont get it. There is no way he would go into k-1 standup, with his style he would be absolutely killed, and we've already seen what happens when MMA fighters try their hand at k-1... how long did goodridge last against Sefo? Igor vs hoost?

and really, who gives a toss about k-1 mma? people watch pride or UFC for good mma fights, not k-1. he would be taking a huge step down.

5. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I completely agree with you. If he were to accept this offer by K1, and make the move, then he'd be shooting himself in the foot. Not to mention the fact of the lack of MMA events organised by K1 would most likely turn him into a forgotten fighter.

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

to answer the question: no. silva's style is effective in mma. i doubt that he'd experience as much success if he moved to k-1.

7. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

As far as im aware, It's unknown as to weather the offer made by K1 is for him to compete in the K1 Max MMA events or not.

But I presume this offer is for him to fight in the Max events.

8. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I think it would be a bad idea. As has been discussed, his style wouldn't do too well in standup K-1, though he'd probably fair better than Goodridge has, but there's also his size. He's too big for the Max division, but small by the regular division's standards and the Romanex format is just too underdeveloped for him to go in. They hardly ever have events and its pretty clear that they just don't have enough decent fighters to do it. Maybe he's angry about the decision with the Hunt fight, but he's got to think about his career; if he goes with K-1, he'll probably be languishing on the sidelines for most of the year and when he fights it won't be against quality opposition, then he'll find himself making much less money because he's not a draw anymore

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  9. andrewS

andrewS Banned Banned

I think it could be just a rumour his camp have spread, I just can't forsee Vanderlai going to K1, at least not successfully anyway..

10. kenpo4life

kenpo4life New Member

Silva would get killed. He has sloppy striking in terms of MT. He is powerful, but any decent technician would end him. Silva doesnt often get hit by peopl;e his size, and he has been staggered by people much lighter than him. K-1 and Silva equals RIP Silva