should people learn about traditional gender roles?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Blade96, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

3. Blade96

Now I REALLY need a new monitor, after this and the other 2 posts, I'll never get the spit tea off it again :p

4. Dean Winchester

"Rep. Phil Gingrey (R-Ga.) told colleagues on the House floor on Tuesday that young boys and girls should take classes on traditional gender roles in a marriage because there are some things fathers do "maybe a little bit better" than mothers."

lol. My wife has spent the day putting up wood panels in our porch, I was told to get out the way and leave her to it.

:D

5. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

Clearly you're gay and married a lesbian. How else can you explain this.

6. Dean Winchester

By pretending to be bloody useless at almost everything.

7. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

- Man should make "major" decision such as who should we vote for the next president?
    - Woman should make "minor" decision such as what color of refrigerator should we buy?

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

As a former stay-at-home dad married to a feminist attorney, I say the Huffington Post can get bent.

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm a stay at home dad who teaches or trains martial arts 4+ times per week.

My wife makes most of our family income at the moment.

When I freelanced I made more per day than she does, but she was full time so I stopped to make sure the kids got continuous care from us, not someone else.

Now she has been made redundant, she earns nothing, but that will hopefully soon change.

I love to cook. I cooked for us as a couple when we first got together and I cook for the family most of the time now.

I help the kids with their homework, fix my road and off road motorcycles, grow chillies, post on MAP.

Watching my kids makes my heart sing, knockdown and self defence training make me happy.

I like poetry.

I have no idea what gender role that consigns me to, but I enjoy it all :)

Mitch

10. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

My "traditional gender roles" is on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I have to be on top. For the rest days of the week, if my wife wants to be on top, that will be OK with me.

I'm talking about bunk bed.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  11. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

you are clearly a womitch.

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Or a maMitch?

Or if both roles are the same I'm a SamMitch?

Mitch :D

13. Blade96

14. Fish Of Doom

but what sort of sammich? cheese? turkey? vegemite?

15. Blade96

and speaking of, Dean has to tell me what he wants on his sandwich. :D

16. Fish Of Doom

mitch, of course!

17. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I would say no to traditional gender roles, but I'd love some sort of home ec course teaching kids how to cook a couple of nutritious dishes, how to balance a budget, how to arrange finances and save for retirement, what sorts of insurances you need at different points in your life, how much to spend on rent and car payments, etc., etc. I'd of course insist that the same content be taught to all genders of students.

18. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I say they should be worried about things like the economy, taxes, immigration, world affairs, health care, etc. :eek:These issues SHOULD be enough to keep them busy.

If they have time for this nonsense, they really aren't prioritizing properly.:bang:

19. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I think we can all guess about my opinion of gender roles, I've already thrown mine to the wind!

20. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Once upon a time this existed. I've still got my dad's old home economics textbook around somewhere and I learned far more about taking care of myself (living alone and all - but equally applicable if circumstances change) from it than anything else.

Sadly schools have largely replaced Home Economics with Food Technology and Textiles now - because apparently an understanding of assembly lines and marketing (which neither actually teach you) are much more valuable than knowing how to balance a household budget, do some basic DIY, do experimental cooking, get stains out of the carpet and so on.

So I think traditional gender roles do have their value, but purely for content. Let's get the gender out of it and just start making them general roles.