Should Instrucotrs Be First Aid Certified?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by waya, Jun 7, 2002.

?

Should Instructors Have to be Certified in First Aid and CPR?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. By personal preference

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. waya

waya Valued Member

Should Instructors Be First Aid Certified?

I have seen cities here talking of passing legislation within the communities, and possibly the state, to require persons such as Martial Arts Instructors, Baseball Coaches, to be certified in Healthcare Provider First Aid and CPR. Any thoughts?

Rob

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2002
  2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Definitely should be certified. If you're teaching something where people could be injured then its your responsibility to know how to deal with those injuries. I've seen an instructor completely lost as to what to do when a student dislocated her knee, in the end one of the students rank 999 and the class continued.

3. Ghostsuit

Ghostsuit Designer

Yeah definitely should be required to be certified or have a certified person present.

4. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

First aid.

Hi,

Good question Waya.

Most governing bodies in the UK require that Instructors have some form of First Aid Training. This is usually a requisite for Insurance policies to cover injuries and law suits etc. I am aware of a situation where a student tried to sue an organisation for money. The student had basically been messing about before class kicked off, and jumped into the air with a view to landing in Box splits to show off. he was normally capable of this with a warm up but through the lack of one, he suffered a serious muscle tear. Seeking liability, it was discovered that the Instructors insurance policy was a week out of date and a court case ensued.

The answer is yes. Instructors should have certification.

Having Certification does not mean that the Instructor will know what to do in every situation that may occur.

:D

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

It makes it more likely though.

In that case technically the instructor would not be liable, they did not instruct the student to do something dangerous, and the class hadn't started. Of course a good lawyer can twist anything, and once they smell blood you're done for.

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

7. waya

waya Valued Member

Liability issues aside..... Students get hurt, instructors get hurt. It's a contact activity, no matter if sport or combative in nature. I think that if they pass laws on this it may upset some instructors, but those that really care about their students won't mind. In all it would benefit the schools much more than inconvenience them.

Rob

8. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

My instructor requires that people be certified in First Aid before they get their instructorship. He doesn't require that the certification necessarily be current. I've been certified several times over the years but have never bothered to keep my certification current. I just recertified whenever it was necessary for a job or whatever (and, actually, I don't remember *why* I ever had to do it ... I just remember going through the classes and getting certified). Since I had already been certified, Guru Ken didn't require me to get recertified.

I think it's a good idea. An instructor should have some idea of what to do in case of an emergency because accidents *do* happen in training.

Mike

9. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

I'm certified in First Aid and CPR.
    It's important to keep basic first aid supplies on hand and know how to safely handle and clean up after an injury involving blood. Let's face it, people bleed in contact sports.

Yes, Having Certification does not mean that the Instructor will know what to do in every situation that may occur, but they can better handle a serious situation until paramedics arive.

10. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

I most definitely agree Ladyhawk. I'm certified also. My last job (security) required it, but I did the course before then many times. I try to keep current.

As far as instructors being certified, it is required both in my new school and old school before you test for BB. I think it's a great idea.

11. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Most definately.

There should be TWO qualified first aid people present at all times. If you're the instructor and the only one certified - what happens if someone knocks YOU out?

12. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

The instructor shouldn't be training, if they're not watching their class, or an assistant instructor watching the class, then any accidents which occur are their responsibility, and insurance won't cover it because it'll be due to negligence. One big case can take down the entire school, permanently.