Should I pass?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Rhineville, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Rhineville

Rhineville Valued Member

Okay, here it is...

I'm a college student who attends school in a different town than where my dojo is located. Obviously, during the week I can't attend class (although I practice a little bit on my own), but I do go home on the weekends and train as much as humanly possible.

Here's the thing; I'm going for my blue belt grading this weekend and I have a little problem. I don't really know my basics that well.

Don't get too angry just yet, I know all my basics (punches, kicks, blocks, etc.,) but I'm only a little familiar with oyo ido, kihon ido and ipon kumite. My sensei stresses that It won't matter that much, as long as I have shown a genuine effort and improvement over the last little while I should have no problem.

I disagree.

I really don't think I should pass because of the lack of time I've spent in the dojo. I also think that if my sensei yells out "OYO IDO NUMBER FIVE!" I should know exactly what to do.

So, if everything else is perfect, but the basics are nearly absent...

SHOULD I PASS?!
    (please don't pull any punches)

2. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

By the sounds of things you are an adult student. Correct?
    If this is the case and what you say is true and if you were a student of mine, I would suggest that you postphone tesing until you feel more confident. Having said this, sometimes progessing in rank has more to do with attitude and relative progression than keeping to a strict sylibus. There are instances that I would look at a student and say, well he does'nt know as many kata as others at this rank, but he certainly demonstrates other technique equal to or above this rank, so I might go ahead and do the promotion.
    At the kyu ranks there is and can be some discretionary promotions, but things have a way of equaling out by the time one has reached black belt. The other way to look at it is that sometimes promotions are made with the understanding that the student will frow into the belt, and that is done all the time too.
    Bottom line. If your sensei thinks you should move up in rank go ahead and take the promotion and then grow into that rank to your own satisfaction.

3. Cain

Cain New Member

IMHO belts are'nt given out for "passing the test" they only ensure the teacher will go harder on you. ;)

|Cain|

4. Rhineville

Rhineville Valued Member

True!
    When I turned green he started making me do pushups with youths on my back...
    ...maybe if I pass HE'LL sit on my back!

5. Picksey

Picksey New Member

Two sides to this. You should trust your sensei enough to believe him when he says you're ready to grade, even if you don't think you've achieved the things you think you ought to have achieved - he could be looking for other things. On the other hand, your training - and your gradings - are for you, not your sensei. I was awarded my 5th kyu (the first time around) when I didn't think I'd earned it, and consequently didn't get much satisfaction out of being a blue belt. It was only until I was awarded my 4th kyu (which I had worked doubly hard for to compensate) that I felt back on track. But maybe that was why I was given (not 'awarded') the blue belt in the first place...?

6. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I am seeing a somewhat similar situation where I train right now. We have a brown belt who had stopped training for 11 years and is now picking it up again. He has stayed in shape and in fact is studying Muay Thai which is conflicting somewhat with his karate training, thus reducing time in our dojo. He doesn't know all the Japanese because it was never required in the dojo he studied in located in a diff province and he is shaky on names of basics but his skill level is outstanding and he is a good example of what a potential BB should be. I believe he will be encouraged to test soon with the understanding as a first dan he will have to make up the holes in his academic knowledge while continuing to train at a higher level. If your sensei feels you are ready maybe he is convinced of your sincerity in your training and has confidence that you will of your own initiative pick up the areas you find lacking.