Should I Continue?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by WayTooMuch, Nov 8, 2008.

1. WayTooMuch

WayTooMuch Valued Member

I train in MMA, Kickboxing and JuJitsu and im constantly spending time at the gym. I am only a minor =[ and i love doing all i do.
    Ive been doing MMA and Kickboxing for a while now, but I only started JuJitsu a couple of months ago. In the other two arts I grasped it very quickly but in JuJitsu it is taking a while, and I can only do it once a week because it is so far away and I am pretty busy. I like jujitsu because unlike the other two im learning alot of the different aspects.
    Each week when i come back for another lesson I feel like im going backwards slowly, i learn alot by the end of the lesson when it all comes back to me, but then its gone again the next week. I am already dealing with alot right now - and really not hanging on well, but I really just need to know if i should continue and any tips, I want to continue this but Im not sure if i should.

2. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

well i think we all want to do tons of things, i am one of these people that do "way too much" :rolleyes:
    i think that you know the answer deep down but you wish you didn't have to. i used to teach 4-6 yr olds tae kwon do in this wicked little class where i did rewards and things and they were brilliant. then i had a breakdown because i did too much stuff and had to quit. it made me VERY sad. especially now to see my friend so successful with it after kindly taking it over.
    my advice is to look at your priorities in life (education/job etc) and which are most important.
    if you are finding that you are forgetting everything in a week, my advice would be to give it a few months and see if it's just because you're new to this. remember that because you picked everything up so well with the other two, you probably don't feel as confident with this one, which is making you doubt yourself.
    i would persevere for a while because you might just need more time. if you really can't remember anything, and have no time to practice at home or go to another class, then maybe it's time to calm down everything you do.
    or quit something else and go twice a week.
    like i said, it's all about your priorities. maybe you can just do martial arts instead of training at the gym as well. it depends what you want out of your hobbies.
    anyway, just whatever you do, don't forget about education and family/friends as they are just as important, and don't overload yourself.
    enjoy it, see if my advice works?
    good luck

3. WayTooMuch

WayTooMuch Valued Member

Thanks, I will try and practise during the week and see if things improve.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

You keep going if that's what you want to do. There' a few people here on Map train the way you do, it'll all come together in the end.
    I'm sure Frodo and Su Lin will be able to give you good advice both being female and cross training to the extent you do.
    It may just be your expectations of how you should be improving are unrealistically high due to your previous experience.
    Build in some time in your week for you, not training but something that you don't have to think about and work on. Even take a week off, you come back so refreshed and with renewed vigor.
    Finally give it time, there's no hurry you have your whole life ahead of you to train.

5. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

+1 on giving it time. JiuJitsu is unlike any other form and takes more time to pick up the basics. More practice during the week will help, even if you only have time to THINK about how the moves go. Every little bit helps.

6. slacker

slacker Valued Member

Me to on giving it time.

I have been going to JJ for a couple of months, i am finding it really hard to grasp, but am slowly creeping forward and getting the hang of it.

I think its the way you think how you are going to do the technique is the key, once you get that then alot of the techniques you will find alot easier.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Is it BJJ or traditional JuJitsu you are doing?

I train BJJ once a week at the moment because of work commitments and it does take ages to feel like you're getting anywhere. There are times I feel like I'm totally useless and can't remember anything and then there are the times when I get really good submission on a big guy and feel great.

I think you have 2 options: either accept you are doing too much and drop something, or accept that because you are doing so much it is going to take time to see success.

There are things you can do to try to get better. Buy a good book and some dvds of techniques, pick 1 technique you want to get better at and study it to death! If you can practice on someone at home do so, if not try 'shadow' drilling it or drilling it in your mind, by mental running through the sequence needed to put the move on. Then in class, if you can, spend some time each session just working on that technique. You are better to get 1 or 2 moves perfected than to try to grasp 10 or 15 and not be able to apply any of them!

Stick with it and you will eventually see success, but be prepared for it to take time! :)

8. Blast

Blast Valued Member

If you're going to stop jujitsu, don't stop it because it's a slower learning process, unless you really want to get good at it in a very short time.

You'll slowly will learn it, and as other members already said, try to "work" on your jujitsu another time in the week. 2 times a week really helps.

But it seems like you are doing so much already. You probably don't want to give up anything else if you worked so hard for it, but in the end, you will learn jujitsu.

9. LoChu

LoChu Valued Member

I'm also struggling with my jujutsu training and being on the receiving end of the ground techniques makes me feel uncomfortable but I still like my training and plan to continue.

10. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

I don't get it. I don't hear you describing anything that anyone else in any other art has NOT dealt with. Pardon me for asking, but what was it that you THOUGHT things were going to be like? This is where your training actually starts, bud. There is no novelty.....you are feeling strung-out and confused....and most of all you all questioning whether you should go on or not. Welcome to the wild and wacky world of MA training!

The whole point of learning a MA whether its Western Boxing or Indian Kalaripayattu is to learn how to keep motivated and moving towards your objective when everything else in your world is giving you good reasons not to.

We can't help you. Though we can shout words of encouragement and let you know that you are not alone, the fact is that the whole struggle is going on inside your own head, so once you get inside there you are on your own.

Now..... how badly do you really want to be accomplished at the Path you have selected?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

11. WayTooMuch

WayTooMuch Valued Member

Thanks,
    Honestly that is the best advice ive ever recieved.
    Im going to act on it too.